Anyone else?

bathbabe

Mum to 3 boys
Reaction score
Im 34weeks tomorrow and I havnt had my fundal height checked AT ALL! Im the first to tell people its the most unreliable way to check babies growth but id still like to know what my number is :(
My friend who is 4weeks further than I am has had hers checked (by the same midwife) about 4times now :(
Id mention it during my appointments but shes so clumsy and useless that I just try and get out asap and the thought doesnt even enter my head! X

I think so far I've only had mine checked twice, once during a hospital (during a issue) then by a stand in midwife. Mines never checked it either, by both times I've measured fine but it is definitely unreliable.

They normally don't check mine, but I have a bicornuate uterus and there have been med students in my appointments. They've checked the last 3 appointments. I was maybe checked once in my other pregnancies.

I've only had my checked once and it was by a student. I check it myself now with a tape 😃

My midwife has checked mine every appointment since 16 weeks she does it par of the course checks fundal height, listens to baby :shrug: my 28 week appointment was the first time she checked my bump and could tell me which way baby was tho :shrug:

I'm 32 weeks now and had mine done once at 28 weeks where i was measuring 29cm. I'm now measuring 41cm but don't have an appointment for another 2 weeks. I'm hoping that measuring big is insignificant and i will have a average size baby!!

I've been checked each time. What are they doing when you pop in for your appointments?

I've been checked each time. What are they doing when you pop in for your appointments?

I think that's half the problem. If you've had a previous low risk pregnancy then you're pretty much left to get on with it. I only had 3 appointments so far, one at 8 weeks, one at 16 weeks and one at 28 weeks. Next one is at 34 weeks and again at 37 weeks, but i think baby will probably be here by then as my previous 2 were early! So in 9 months i will probably have only seen the midwife 4 or 5 times at the most.

I think that's half the problem. If you've had a previous low risk pregnancy then you're pretty much left to get on with it. I only had 3 appointments so far, one at 8 weeks, one at 16 weeks and one at 28 weeks. Next one is at 34 weeks and again at 37 weeks, but i think baby will probably be here by then as my previous 2 were early! So in 9 months i will probably have only seen the midwife 4 or 5 times at the most.

I think the UK has a few differences in healthcare than Canada. YOu guys get IVF covered yet less check ups. I'd much prefer to have IVF covered (because here and the USA it means if you have fertility issues you need to be rich to procreate) whereas it seems more down to earth in the UK - the use of midwives (here our PC gov't just cut midwives to give more funding to OB's - totally backwards since midwives are less expensive, give better care and are more in demand with the women here than OB's who enjoy sectioning you for their own convenience). So we bunted the Conservatives from office here at a provincial level and it's going to happen on a federal level too (mark my words!)
Canada has some catching up to do yet with the rest of the common wealth countries in terms of applying funding where it's most needed. We get checked every 2 weeks after 30 weeks gestation, and I think that's a little overkill. I'm considered high risk because I've got clot issues, GD, and will be over 40 when I deliver yet have had such an easy pregnancy and know how to manage everything pretty well by myself. I'm just happy it's all covered and we're not paying massive bills to get a hospital delivery and check ups. Universal healthcare rocks whichever way it goes!

Urine check, Blood pressure, feels tummy, listens to heartbeat.
She has messed up my bloods so many times by either not signing the form, or stabbing me a billion times to try find a vein and redoing them etc, that I refuse to let her take them now and book myself in at the Drs for them to do.
Luckily my next appointment is with a different midwife as shes away that week. I will be mentioning how I feel about her care when I see the other one x

She has messed up my bloods so many times by either not signing the form, or stabbing me a billion times to try find a vein and redoing them etc, that I refuse to let her take them now and book myself in at the Drs for them to do.
Luckily my next appointment is with a different midwife as shes away that week. I will be mentioning how I feel about her care when I see the other one x
Good on you, can you insist on another midwife to care for you through delivery? If she can't even get a needle done well how the heck is she going to stitch you up if she needs to, or do they get doctors to do that over there? I hope you can go with someone better.:wacko:

I've not had mine checked either with this pregnancy. When I go to the OB (was 4 weekly, then 3 weekly, fortnightly and now on weekly visits) I see the midwife first who does urine, weight, chats about whats been going on, movements etc and then I see my OB who chats again but at length and does an ultrasound and sorts out any other tests needed like GBS etc.

Good on you, can you insist on another midwife to care for you through delivery? If she can't even get a needle done well how the heck is she going to stitch you up if she needs to, or do they get doctors to do that over there? I hope you can go with someone better.:wacko:

Luckily she works at a birthing centre that im 'not allowed' to deliver at due to my bmi. I will be at a much bigger hospital under different midwives, where I also had my son, and I love it there, my son was born slightly early and not once did they panic me over it or anything, it was all very much go with the flow :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->