Anyone finding out gender in first tri?

thosevibes

Reaction score
Did anyone find out the gender when they got the Harmony test done? Or are you finding out with with test? It’s 25 dollars here to find out the gender How accurate is it?

wow i didnt even know they would do that!
im definitely asking my midwife if i can get this test done

From what I understand it's pretty accurate since it's tested through blood!
Insurances won't cover this because it's not medically necessary but hey 25 isn't a lot :) Price may be different were you are! The harmony test: The Harmony Prenatal Test determines the risk of three fetal trisomies by measuring the relative amount of chromosomes in maternal blood.. The gender part is added on if requested.

I didn't get this with my first but I def want to do it this time haha.

darn i live in oregon
do you know the name of the place where its $25?
is it a hospital?

You OB or Midwife should talk to you about all the tests they offer (the ones you have to sign yes or no for. the optionals.)

One of these tests it the harmony. You can talk to your ob/widwife if they can add in the gender and ask how much it is. xx

Interesting...I'll definitely ask my doctor about it tomorrow...

wow! im definitely opting for the harmony and definitely going to ask if they can add gender

i have really good insurance
getting blood drawn, IVs, medication while in hospital and any testing is free
appoints and hospitals stays are only $5
and any prescriptions are only $3 each

Just outside first tri. I'm moving over to 2nd tri tomorrow at 13 wks and my gender scan is for 14+3. Never heard of harmony blood test. I've heard of panorama but not harmony. Interesting, that's cheap! I'd still rather find out via ultrasound instead of phone call.

Just thought I'd share a word of caution about the price of this kind of testing. I would be VERY cautious if someone is telling you that you can have this test for $25. I would double and triple check with the billing department because this seems not right. Here is a bit of an article about the testing costs -
Between the four new tests, Verinata’s and Sequenom’s currently offer the widest range of screening options, with the ability to identify disorders associated with an extra X or Y sex chromosome, such as Klinefelter’s (XXY) and triple X syndrome. This flexibility is reflected in the cost: Sequenom’s MaterniT21 PLUS carries a list price of $2,762, almost twice as much as Natera’s Panorama, which can detect a missing X chromosome but not other kinds of sex chromosome irregularities.
The tests’ sensitivities vary depending on the chromosome, but all companies claim to be able to identify a fetus with Down’s syndrome, caused by three copies of chromosome 21, more than 99 times out of 100. Detecting extra copies of chromosome 13—a condition known as Patau’s syndrome—is more difficult, and Ariosa’s Harmony test does poorest here, with only 80% sensitivity. But it’s also the cheapest, with a sticker price of just $795 (see chart for the full comparison).-

If you google you can find many articles stating the same. Also, search threads on here as there have been ladies who've written about being sent a bill later on for thousands of dollars. These tests are outsourced to specialized labs which charge huge for these tests. Most if not all insurance won't cover these are there are cheaper tests like amnio that can be done for those who are high risk. Especially for those who are on state insurance programs they wont cover these types of tests. Just make sure your very informed before having these types of tests so you don't end up like others have with a bill for a couple thousand dollars. :)

My friend got hers for 20 dollars.

The whole harmony test itself is a couple thousand. The gender part I don't think is. I trust my midwife <3 I'll call to make sure but I'm pretty positive that part of it is only 25.

Ohhhh I'm from northern va!! But we just moved to wv. My new ob will be in va, though. Do you think they do this at most offices? I'm so trying this!!!

Had panorama done and found out last week all looked good and it's a girl! Ultrasound would be more fun, but 2 doctors told me last dd was a boy early on and then she wouldn't open her legs until 20 weeks (had 5 ultrasounds from like 15-20 weeks due to bleeding) and then finally they saw it was actually a girl. Chose to hear by blood test this time lol. I was already doing it to check for chrom issues. I was told it would be negotiated to $150 if insurance didnt cover it. Dr said not to freak if I got a bill for thousands of dollars.

Princessmommy, I used to live in wv! Summers county. I'm not sure if they do in all/most places or not. xx

Stranjegirl, Congrats on the girl! I certainly hope no one gets billed a couple thousand, lol. I'll call the doctors office and my insurance to make sure. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->