Anyone get annoyed at OBEM?

yeh thats the one, and they advised her to have an epidural as soon as she walked through the door! bless her. xx

Every episode seems to have a forceps birth :shock: I hope they are not that common. It seems horrible with the baby always needing resuscitation. At least with my c-s they gave me Bobby right away and he did not need any oxygen.

Because ever episode has an epidural......the two are linked....

Yep everyone who has forceps on there has had an epidural earlier in the programme and I was victim to that myself!! This is why I'm getting board of it, same thing week in week out but keep watching in hope someone will go natural. Lady with twin last week did but the constant "advice" of epidural cause one was breach was doing my head in lol.

It's not just us who get annoyed with it ... When Tattie had Taylor in the local Midwifery led unit (a fantastic water birth) we were talking about OBEM with the attending midwife and she was saying much the same thing :thumbup:

Epidurals are great in their place and so is medical assistance ... but gravity and position are key to speeding up labour for the majority of people, so being unable to stand or walk around due to an epi really slows things down, which in turn can lead to a distressed baby and more intervention - it's a vicious circle :nope:

Gravity is the best thats why you'd find me shouting at the tv to get off the bloody bed! Ha ha. I'm sure my home birth mw (hb team are based at lgi where it's filmed) said they had an active birth room but I went to other hospital in Leeds instead when I was transferred. They should of had cameras put in there!! Guess they must not think it's as entertaining than seeing a poor baby being pulled out with metal contraption!! Grrrrr. And they wonder why so many women fear birth when they don't show the other side where the labouring woman is quiet, relaxed etc Xx

I have paid my deposit for the hypnobirthing course so hopefully no epidural for me this time :happydance: I didn't even get to try it with Bobby :( They gave me an epi 12pm then broke my waters. Plus I was stuck to the bed because their monitors weren't working properly.

My NHS hospital this time are super supportive of my plans to have a waterbirth. My notes are covered in "TRAUMATIC PREVIOUS BIRTH" all over them.

If you guys don't like your OBEM, I recommend never watching the US version. I just want to hurl a remote at the screen (I watched it only once).

I don't remember it being bad on previous series in the other hospital. Does anyone else agree? Or do I just know more know that I notice this kind of stuff?

Aliss great to see you back here :) :hugs: I will never watch the US one. Everything I have heard about it makes it sounds so depressing :nope:

If you guys don't like your OBEM, I recommend never watching the US version. I just want to hurl a remote at the screen (I watched it only once).

The U.S. one is definitely so much worse. Literally everyone has an epi and many are sections for "non-progression". I'm American and I couldn't even watch it when I lived there. They pretty much just film the doctors and nurses laughing at anyone who tries to have a natural birth. At least I find the UK one tolerable, though I still yell at the screen a lot.

It made me so sad when the baby this week had a bleeding wound on his head from the forceps. That's just not okay at all. :growlmad:

I've never seen us one but watched maternity ward a few times and yeh it's even worse.
I wanted to watch some from previous series cause I couldn't remember but I can't find anywhere on line with them. There victimising us ladies of Leeds ha ha ha. X

Ooooo thank you will watch it next week! Can't remember any of it ha ha. X

I think its great to show what hospital births are like, which makes me wany my HB even more.
I had an induced, on my back, epidural, constantly monitored, forcep delivery with my 1st and this programm just reminds of how much I dont want that this time.
Even if I end up in hospital I will be able to make decisions for myself, not listen to doc and midwifes saying I'm not coping with the pain even though I felt ok....at the end of it all I came away with a very small but perfectly formed little angel, so I didn't let it all bother me too much, I just know I dont want it again.

I think OBEM has its place as its good for people to know what to expect, I have found myself shouting at the screen 'try different postions' 'get her up', but I know I will be watching it next week!

I blame my hormones Clairemum2be! I just thought WHY have they got to turn the second baby, mother nature will adapt! And she turned herself, I just think it's a bit sad that we've come to doubt our bodies abilities to deliver sometimes when it's 100% capable

I don't watch every episode, but one they were considering epi and c section as 'failed to progress' I'm not surprised, she was so high on drugs she didn't know what planet was on! When they said it was too late to give an epi and didn't have any more drugs she started to progress...

Maybe I've been reading up too much on the benefits of natural! My friend has been working as a midwife for a year now, she had her first daughter in hospital, and second one recently at home naturally, and is all for HB, they don't teach as much intervention these days apparently

The only problem is, what if mother nature didnt take its course, than how long do they wait?....what happens while they wait?

I'm not saying NEVER intervene, after all medical science is brilliant. Whilst baby is still attached to the placenta it's still being sustained and getting oxygen etc.

Don't ask me how long do they wait, I'm not medically trained, but then how do THEY know how long to wait? Our bodies don't stick to timescales, mothers give birth to breech babies perfectly fine all the time, it was the fact that they were talking about intervention before she'd even been hooked up for induction let alone actually gone into labour, that was my gripe.

If mother nature didn't take her course, then we have brilliant surgeons

I'd like to trust in my bodies ability as much as possible, but if there is real risk to my baby then would do what the Doctors felt best

If you saw the forceps one where baby was stuck they said they had 6 mins (think that's what it is) to get it out and that's why it kept showing the clock etc.

Yes!!

Well I don't watch OBEM or really a Baby Story (what people are referring to the US version I think?) but really I get tired of hearing about gals wanting their babies out so soon - they're really in there for this long for a reason! I mean if a baby comes out on his/her own at 36-37 weeks what have you, what can you do it was time. But I think inducing before 39-40 weeks is problematic. People easily forget the risks that come with induction :nope:

I've seen one of two eps of Baby Story and I couldn't stand it, they all turn out the same as others have said. Pit-epi-section. Boring! And perpetuating the cycle further. And people suggest that the Business of Being Born is one sided!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->