Anyone had a 24 hr 'propess' induction?

minkymoo

Reaction score
HI ladies (also posted in preg forum)

Simple as the title really. Just wondering how it went for you:

How far 'overdue' were you?
Did it take the full 24hrs to get you started with the propess/tampon?
If it didn't work in the 24 hrs what happened next?
Did everything else go ok?

I know everybody is different but am interested to see how it can differ.

Thanks girlies xx

Yes.

Propess is still a pessary but longer lasting than what used to be used.

I had to be induced at term+6 as my waters broke at term +4 and I did not go into labour naturally.

Mine probably isn't the best example to give really. The propess hyper stimulated me so I went into labour overdrive and had to have it removed 2 hours later. I was then fully dilated 6 hrs later as my labour pace didn't slow down and I had constant contractions.

My full birth story which goes into more detail is in my journal - 2nd entry. The link is at the bottom of my sig xx

The propess is still a pessary i think.

I had the pessary put in at about 2 in the afternoon. Nothing much happened until 3am when my waters broke and my contractions started. They came thick and fast and were pretty much 2 mins apart from the beginning and I also went into contraction overdrive. The pessary fell out about an hour later and I had the baby at 9 so quite a quick labour. I was induced two days before my due date due to high blood pressure.

Good luck!

I had a propess industry tion at 36 weeks cost my waters had broken early. It was a really good labour. They put the propess in at 11pm. I had an hour of watching DVDs while contractions.began. then I found I had to move around to manage them, and they started coming every 2 or 3 minutes. Midwives kept telling me I wasn't in labour, but I finally was examined at 7am and rushed to labour ward. LO Was born at 7.30 after a few pushes. My experience was pretty good, would be interested to see how other people found it.

The propess is still a pessary i think.
I had the pessary put in at about 2 in the afternoon. Nothing much happened until 3am when my waters broke and my contractions started. They came thick and fast and were pretty much 2 mins apart from the beginning and I also went into contraction overdrive. The pessary fell out about an hour later and I had the baby at 9 so quite a quick labour. I was induced two days before my due date due to high blood pressure.

Good luck!

Hmm, confused now. MW said it wasn't a pessary but it a tampon that releases hormones over 24hrs as opposed to the pessary where they check you every 6 hrs or so. This one they just leave in place for 24hrs unless you start contracting etc...

It's one and the same. They are both a pessary because they are both inserted up your foofy. The old 6 hr one was more like a gel. The propess one is kinda like a flat tampon. It's about the same width etc as your thump but is completely flat. It has a long strong from it and basically they feed the pessary and string up behind your cervix (This did hurt btw... more than a normal internal for me). The string dangles out a bit (like a tampon so I guess this is where she got the reference from) so they can use it to remove it.

xx

I had one, i was 39 weeks 1 day, around 12 hours after it was in, i was having pains, but proper contractions started around 18 hours after. I was told they would put another one in if there was no progress. It does look abit like a tampon, it has a piece of string to make it easier to pull out i think. It was quite uncomfortable and i swelled (sorry tmi) but i think i just had an odd reaction, i was told it doesn't normally happen. xxxx

yeh when i was induced they called it pessary and propess- depending on who i was talking too!

Well, mine went in at 7pm, waters broke 2am, contractions every 6 mins, and then this petered out by 10 am. the 'tampon' then became a nightmare as it kept falling out because of waters trickling out.
i say nightmare because inserting it after the second time by not very gentle fingers became very very sore. so a day later i refused to have it in me anymore and asked to be induced via drip. (and the rest is another story!).

oh yeh i forgot to add i was 13 days overdue, and lo came when i was 15 days over.

I had propess too. The descriptions above are perfect, a lot of people don't call it a pessary (even those in the profession) but as said previously, it's inserted so suppose could be classed as one.

Anyway, I was induced at 37+2 for fetal health problems. They inserted the propess at 12noon and said they didn't think anything would happen as I was early. I started having mild cramp type pains pretty quickly which progressed throughout the afternoon but I was absolutely fine. At about 9pm I asked for some pain relief (paracetamol) to try and help me get some sleep as I was convinced nothing would happen until the next day. By 10pm I was in a lot of pain, they examined me and I was 5cm dilated so they removed the propess, I got to the labour ward just before 10.30, wanted to push straight away and baby was born at 11.15pm!!

I was induced on my due date due to high blood pressure - at the time I was only 1cm dilated and had a long cervix. They put that thing in, and 20 minutes later my waters broke. Contractions started immediately. 17 hours after they put it in, my daughter was born, which I thought was pretty good because they told me it would be 12-24 hours before that thing even started to work.
I had no complications, no problems. :)

Mine probably isn't the best example to give really. The propess hyper stimulated me so I went into labour overdrive and had to have it removed 2 hours later. I was then fully dilated 6 hrs later as my labour pace didn't slow down and I had constant contractions.

WSS^^

Journal link in my sig, story first page. In my story its referred to as the cervadil insert.

I had propess,I would ask for the other pessary if I were you.
I was 39 weeks(being induced due to severe SPD)
The pessary was put in at 6am,by 7am I was having strong contractions..by 9am they were unbearable.
I was examined over and over again and nothing was happening at 9pm they decided although I was contracting,I was over contracting and they weren't lasting long enough to do anything.
My son was finally born a week later after induction using the other pessary.

It's one and the same. They are both a pessary because they are both inserted up your foofy. The old 6 hr one was more like a gel. The propess one is kinda like a flat tampon. It's about the same width etc as your thump but is completely flat. It has a long strong from it and basically they feed the pessary and string up behind your cervix (This did hurt btw... more than a normal internal for me). The string dangles out a bit (like a tampon so I guess this is where she got the reference from) so they can use it to remove it.

xx

Thanks for clarifying Kitty!

Thanks ladies, good to hear some positive outcomes. I don't think I'd let them put two in (i.e. 2nd after 24 hrs) as I have had 2 (failed) sweeps so far and the pain was unbearable :dohh:

Thanks ladies, good to hear some positive outcomes. I don't think I'd let them put two in (i.e. 2nd after 24 hrs) as I have had 2 (failed) sweeps so far and the pain was unbearable :dohh:

The hospital I was in gave me a 'rest' day-they wouldn't do another pessary the day after.xx

I don't think you'll have a choice love :(

Basically after the 24 hr one they go for a 12 hr one and might try a 3rd 12 hr one if needed... the only option if those don't work is a c-sec as it's classed then as a failed induction.

Doubt it'd get that far though... but trust me... after a while you wont care what they stick up you... and the pain is inevitable and gets worse when labour happens. Just be sure to take whatever pain releif you want. I thoroughly recommend an epi.

Generally induction labours are considered more painful because they are forced and you often don't get a build up to contractions. It's a bit like how if you're constipated and then poo... your tummy wnt hurt too much... but if you're constipated and have to take laxatives your tummy hurts loads because your body is being forced into doing something.

It's not all bad though. At the end you'll have your little bundle of joy and you soon forget the pain etc. I even cry at times because I miss being in labour (I am weird) xx

Basically after the 24 hr one they go for a 12 hr one and might try a 3rd 12 hr one if needed... the only option if those don't work is a c-sec as it's classed then as a failed induction.

Doubt it'd get that far though... but trust me... after a while you wont care what they stick up you... and the pain is inevitable and gets worse when labour happens. Just be sure to take whatever pain releif you want. I thoroughly recommend an epi.

Generally induction labours are considered more painful because they are forced and you often don't get a build up to contractions. It's a bit like how if you're constipated and then poo... your tummy wnt hurt too much... but if you're constipated and have to take laxatives your tummy hurts loads because your body is being forced into doing something.

It's not all bad though. At the end you'll have your little bundle of joy and you soon forget the pain etc. I even cry at times because I miss being in labour (I am weird) xx

There is the 6 hourly one isn't there?

I second the painful contractions thing...I used to say on TV when they were fine one min,they next sucking on the gas and air like a mad woman they were silly..lol.
One min I was asleep,next thing I knew,i shot off the bed my waters broke and my contractions started really painfully.xx

It's not used so much any more I don't think... though it could vary hospital to hospital From what my MW said if they did the propess it's 24 hrs and then 2 x 12 hrs xx

:haha: at the bold!

You're right but I am an 'elderly mother' at 37 so don't think they'll allow me to go too far over and may very well suggest a section if nothing whatsoever is happening after 24 hrs, in terms of dilation.

There is the 6 hourly one isn't there?
I second the painful contractions thing...I used to say on TV when they were fine one min,they next sucking on the gas and air like a mad woman they were silly..lol.
One min I was asleep,next thing I knew,i shot off the bed my waters broke and my contractions started really painfully.xx

The 6 hr one is the actual 'pessary'. the propess is a slow release/24hr thing. I will check if the 6hr one is an option at my hosp should the 24 one fail :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->