Anyone had a PCOS ultrasound scan?

LouOscar01

Reaction score
I have a scan booked for next Friday both external and internal to check for PCOS.

I was wondering if you get the 'results' there and then or if they have to give the scan images to a doctor to analyse first...don't think I can bear anymore waiting. :cry:

I had an ultrasound scan, they can tell you if you have multiple cysts but cant actually diagnose the syndrome only a gyno can do that after examining all the images! x

Do they refer you on to gynaecologist automatically?

Hey LouOscar, I don't know that I have the answers to your question but I just wanted to let you know that I completely understand how difficult waiting can be. I actually have a pelvic ultrasound for PCOS on thursday! I think x-ginge-x is right though! It likely depends on the ultrasound tech too. I have had some scans (for other things) where the ultrasound tech did not give me any ideas of what they were looking at, but I think there are others that will tell you if they are seeing cysts etc.

As far as referring you to an OB/GNY it may depend on the results? Did you have a primary care physician who ordered the scan? Have you already been in contact with an OB/GYN? I know for me, my OB ordered bloodwork and the scan and then I have an appointment to go over the results of everything in two weeks. However, I've been doing my own research :haha: I will probably annoyingly ask a lot of questions during my scan to see how much information they will give me before meeting with my doctor.

Good luck! Hopefully all of this waiting will give us some answers soon!

Hi Lou,

I went for a private scan (UK) and was told straightaway that I had cysts all over my ovaries and prescribed clomid.

Sometimes they like to flush your tubes first to make sure they're ok before prescribing clomid, but I didn't have that.

Hope that helps!

Let me know if you have anymore questions!

X

i had ultrasound that showed cysts and was already under a gyno, they then sent me for a hsg to check my tubes which were all clear, never had fertility drugs given so dont know about those

Thanks guys!! I just went to my GP who arranged for scans straight away. Think he just found the whole think quite awkward as he has been my GP since I was born!! He just said yes of course and I explained about my lack of ovulation he said ' Is it important that you ovulate then?' and I replied 'yes...' and he said 'so are you trying to conceive a child?' ....yes Dr.....

Cannot wait for some answers!!!!!!!!

Bamluby good luck for your appt! Hopefully we are both free of cysts!

Thank you! You too! And thank all of you other ladies for your input! LouOscar, I look forward to hearing how your scan goes! :)

When I had my ultrasounds done, unfortunately, the ultrasound tech did not tell me anything...she didn't even let me look at the screen...She just said about 3x that the "doctor would go over my results at my follow up appointment."...so I am guessing alot of gals ask a lot of questions to that tech. It was 7 long days later and I went to my follow up appointment at my GYN...Try to get your follow up appointment as close as possible!!

Good Luck!!!

I have a scan booked for next Friday both external and internal to check for PCOS.

I was wondering if you get the 'results' there and then or if they have to give the scan images to a doctor to analyse first...don't think I can bear anymore waiting. :cry:

I have been TTC for over 5 years now with no success. I have had multiple ultrasounds to diagnose PCOS. First I should let you know it's mildly uncomfortable but really no big deal. The technician is not permitted to give information, but after seeing my "typical pcos ovaries" a few times my best advice to help ease the nerves is to google what an ultrasound of pcos ovaries look like. You may recognize it you may not. Ultimately you'll have to wait to discuss with doctor. That being said...if you do get the PCOS diagnosis I have a little extra advice on how I got my BFP. So after some extensive research i found some magical supplements that helped me get pregnant before I could even start clomid. First step is hormone regulation. I took 400 mg of vitex 3x/day that helped me achieve a 32-37 day cycle with ovulation on CD16-18. I added some insitol (MYO-insitol is supposed to be best but I couldn't find it) this supplement acts like metformin which regulates sugars. I took 1300mg/day (650 am and again before dinner) i took evening primrose for CM. But the toe that I think made the difference was N-Actyl Cysteine and DIM. Clinical trials have reported NAC aids the functions of clomid, well DIM has a lot of the same effects as clomid. I took 100mg/day of DIM during the first part of my cycle right up to ovulation then stopped as it is an estrogen metabolizer and can cause miscarriage from what I read. And I took 1200mg of NAC (600mg am and pm) and the same with Mucinex 1200mg (but I only took Mucinex a few days before ovulation. I charted my basal temps and took digital OPKs. After 5 years of being on clomid and vitex and everything else...I thought I should tell SOMEONE who may need to use this! 😁 good luck!! Also if you take clomid stop the vitex before your next cycle as it counteracts the effects of clomid. By the way all of these pills (it is A LOT) were at my local health store no perscription needed! And I should mention I completely cut out all fast food and most processed food three months prior and added a lot more veggies to my diet by the way of green smoothies and eating veggies at every meal.

I have been TTC for over 5 years now with no success. I have had multiple ultrasounds to diagnose PCOS. First I should let you know it's mildly uncomfortable but really no big deal. The technician is not permitted to give information, but after seeing my "typical pcos ovaries" a few times my best advice to help ease the nerves is to google what an ultrasound of pcos ovaries look like. You may recognize it you may not. Ultimately you'll have to wait to discuss with doctor. That being said...if you do get the PCOS diagnosis I have a little extra advice on how I got my BFP. So after some extensive research i found some magical supplements that helped me get pregnant before I could even start clomid. First step is hormone regulation. I took 400 mg of vitex 3x/day that helped me achieve a 32-37 day cycle with ovulation on CD16-18. I added some insitol (MYO-insitol is supposed to be best but I couldn't find it) this supplement acts like metformin which regulates sugars. I took 1300mg/day (650 am and again before dinner) i took evening primrose for CM. But the toe that I think made the difference was N-Actyl Cysteine and DIM. Clinical trials have reported NAC aids the functions of clomid, well DIM has a lot of the same effects as clomid. I took 100mg/day of DIM during the first part of my cycle right up to ovulation then stopped as it is an estrogen metabolizer and can cause miscarriage from what I read. And I took 1200mg of NAC (600mg am and pm) and the same with Mucinex 1200mg (but I only took Mucinex a few days before ovulation. I charted my basal temps and took digital OPKs. After 5 years of being on clomid and vitex and everything else...I thought I should tell SOMEONE who may need to use this! 😁 good luck!! Also if you take clomid stop the vitex before your next cycle as it counteracts the effects of clomid. By the way all of these pills (it is A LOT) were at my local health store no perscription needed! And I should mention I completely cut out all fast food and most processed food three months prior and added a lot more veggies to my diet by the way of green smoothies and eating veggies at every meal.

That may have been a bit confusing. I had been on vitex and fertilaid and all kinds of supplements throughoit the year but it wasn't until about 3 months ago that i added DIM and NAC I was amazed at how quick it worked.

Wow!! Thank you! I think I will re-read that and make a list of everything!! I bought Vitex but scared because it said don't use if pregnant or TTC. Think I'll go with it anyway as it seems to work for so many people!!

I had pain in my hip area and they scheduled me for a transvaginal ultrasound. I could see the screen and I saw multiple black circles. I asked if they were cysts and she told me yes and that they were very small. I asked if it is was PCOS and she said most likely. She was very sweet. Then I saw my OB after and told me I had about 40 on each ovary...then have me clomid.

I had pain in my hip area and they scheduled me for a transvaginal ultrasound. I could see the screen and I saw multiple black circles. I asked if they were cysts and she told me yes and that they were very small. I asked if it is was PCOS and she said most likely. She was very sweet. Then I saw my OB after and told me I had about 40 on each ovary...then have me clomid.

is clomid automatically associated with cysts or is fertility associated with clomid? I'm scheduled for a abdominal & pelvic ultrasound for abdominal pains....do you think they will be able to tell me if there are any factors that could be PCOS or infertility?

Yes they should be able to check for that. Mine checked womb, uterus and ovaries which were all fine. She told me as she checked that everything was fine. Maybe they hold back a bit if there is a problem as someone more senior needs to diagnose? Good luck!!

M

is clomid automatically associated with cysts or is fertility associated with clomid? I'm scheduled for a abdominal & pelvic ultrasound for abdominal pains....do you think they will be able to tell me if there are any factors that could be PCOS or infertility?

The cysts form because the follicle grows but fails to grow properly and release the egg. Clomid blocks eostrogen receptors to trick your body into producing more and so make the follicle develop enough to release an egg. Clomid is most often used because it is relatively cheap, less chance of overstimulation compared to injectibles for example and had an 80% chance of making you ovulate.

My scan was done by a gynae so he showed me on the scan there and then. I had bloods taken that day that later showed a classic PCOS hormone profile but he said he was confident from the scan. I had none of the other symptoms (weight gain etc...) except annovulation.

I was put on clomid and I ovulated 2/3 cycles getting pf with my little girl on the third cycle.

M

The cysts form because the follicle grows but fails to grow properly and release the egg. Clomid blocks eostrogen receptors to trick your body into producing more and so make the follicle develop enough to release an egg. Clomid is most often used because it is relatively cheap, less chance of overstimulation compared to injectibles for example and had an 80% chance of making you ovulate.

My scan was done by a gynae so he showed me on the scan there and then. I had bloods taken that day that later showed a classic PCOS hormone profile but he said he was confident from the scan. I had none of the other symptoms (weight gain etc...) except annovulation.

I was put on clomid and I ovulated 2/3 cycles getting pf with my little girl on the third cycle.

so how expensive is the clomid treatment? I only have Medicaid now and of course their not going to pay for it. Do you have to go to the doctor to check everything out when on it or will they just allow you to take the meds without monitoring? Just thinking the recurring blood test and ultrasounds is the buck of the expenses....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->