Anyone had a very early scan at around 5 weeks?

OmarsMum

Reaction score
SIL is pregnant, she's 4w1d according to LMP, she had some cramps today similar to period pain & she freaked out, she went for an early scan, the dr told her she might have a miscarriage as there is blood around the baby? She is not bleeding or anything, this is her scan pic , her HCG level is 6500. Does it sound right?

I had an early miscarriage at 4.5 wks but it was chemical & passed as period, I didn't do any blood tests, & I never had HCG level checked in my previous pregnancies so I have no clue. I thought a miscarriage this early usually involves bleeding?

She is freaking out bless her as I had a mmc in April at almost 10 w :nope:

The dr wants to re-scan on Saturday but I think it is useless this early? I mean drs are private here, she doesn't have insurance, I don't want her to go for unnecessary scans, my dr refused to do any scans for me this early & she waited until I was almost 7 weeks in both of my pregnancies. She will go for another blood test to check her HCG level on Saturday, but she's not sure about the scan?

I feel clueless & I feel bad for her :( I feel that it is my miscarriages that are freaking her out :(

I tried to reassure her that it is still too early & cramps are normal, according to her she didn't have any cramps when she was pregnant with her son, I even told her that a scan this early will not show much, but she is still freaking out.

Should she go for another scan on Saturday? Or should she wait another week? Does her HCG sounds right?

Eta: she is 5w 1d not 4w 1d

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 35
her levels seem really high for only 4w1d, here's a list of normal hcg/weeks.https://americanpregnancy.org/duringpregnancy/hcglevels.html
sounds like it could be a molar pregnancy? Hoping she gets good news though......

She got the weeks wrongs! I just used a calculator she should be 5w1d ! Her last period was on 12th May

really it could go either way then. That's about what my u/s looked like at 5 weeks. Has she had anymore blood work to see if her hcg is doubling? my dr said that he didn't want to see me for another 2 weeks for an u/s because not much will have changed until you get to the mid 6th week.

really it could go either way then. That's about what my u/s looked like at 5 weeks. Has she had anymore blood work to see if her hcg is doubling? my dr said that he didn't want to see me for another 2 weeks for an u/s because not much will have changed until you get to the mid 6th week.

Thanks Hun. This is what I told her, to wait at least a week or 10 days to scan again. I googled blood around foetus this early in pregnancy & it doesn't seem alarming. I hate drs here, everything is private & they do unnecessary scans all the time to get more money :nope:

She will go for a blood test on Saturday, she had this result today only, tomorrow is weekend here so she can't test until Saturday.

A scan that early will barely show anything. Also if her last period was May 12, than she would be 5+4 not 5+1. Atleast that's what I was told as my last period was also may 12. Really nothing alarming, period cramps are somewhat similar to pregnancy cramps so I wouldn't worry unless the cramps were painful.

A scan won't change anything - and I'm not just talking about viability. If you're worried you're going to lose a pregnancy, then all a "normal" scan does is reassure you you're not losing it at that exact moment. Two days later, if she's anything like me, she'll be right back to how she is at the moment.

Given that she's paying for it, I'd advise waiting at least another two weeks - it's still so early right now. A scan at 8wks showing a heartbeat immediately puts her in a lower category for miscarriage and should provide a little more reassurance.

Give her a hug from all of us - it's not easy. But cramping is definitely normal in pregnancy. I've got the opposite problem; I cramped with my last viable pregnancy, and am not cramping at all with this one. You can't win!

With my second daughter I had a blood clot in the sac with her. Now my daughter is about to be 6. I have 3 little girls and my last 2 I had bruised cervix and clots in the sac. They are both fine, actually annoying me right now lol. Tell her to hold out hope as every woman's experience is different, and just because there is blood visible it doesn't mean a miscarriage. As long as she isn't bleeding a lot of red with cramping ( some cramp bad with m/c, some do not.). If I was her I would put myself on bedrest. I really hope she has a sticky

I've had several miscarriages and 3 healthy girls. I will say that all my miscarriages have been completely different from another

Here are my best recollection of my MC and viable pregnancies scan/hcg results. Might help. Keep in mind my MC history is due to Bicorunate Uterus.

MC1 - 12 weeks - 1st scan at 6 weeks, showed gestational sac and yolk. Scan at 8 weeks showed underdeveloped fetus, measured at 6w, HB detected but uneven/slow (i think about 100 bpm). Spotting started at 10w. 12 week scan showed no growth past week 8, no HB. D&C at 12w3d.

DS1 - term - 1st scan at 9 weeks, showed normal growth, normal HB (I think around 160. No further complications aside from mild polyhydraminos at 30w

MC2 - 6-7 weeks - no scan. HCG never rose above 190.

MC3 - 6 weeks - scan at 6w showed gestational sac and thickened lining, HCG only 243. Bleed started at 6w3d.

MC4 - 5 weeks - no scan. HCG never rose above 119. MC bleed at 5w3d

Current - Scan at 5w0d showed gestational and yolk sac, thickened lining. No bloods at that appointment. Scan 7w0d showed fetal pole, HB 134, measured 6w6d, HCG 6121. Next scan tomorrow.

Not sure if this will help, but my history in particular leans heavy that low, low, low HCG = impending miscarriage. With BU (bicorunate uterus), it heavily weighs in your favor to ovulate from one ovary or the other for that conception. If you implant to the "wrong" or "unfavorable" side of the uterus, miscarriage is likely.

A scan this early as others have said won't show much as they said during week 6 is better I had a scan with Harry at 7 weeks 1 day he looked like a grain of rice with a flickering heart they really are so so small but grow so fast :)
I hope she's ok and everything goes well if she's not bleeding that's a good sign hope the cramps have stopped
Omars mum I'm really sorry for your losses :( and your little man is gorgeous look at those eyes :)
Lady hutch again so sorry to read about your losses I think it's lovely the way you always use your experience to help people with questions I noticed before ;)

Emma

I had a scan at 5wks with my little boy and was just the sac, then 6 weeks 1 day there was a little blob with a heartbeat.

I'm booked in on Monday when I will be 5wk 6 days (lmp 13th may) for my scan

SIL is pregnant, she's 4w1d according to LMP, she had some cramps today similar to period pain & she freaked out, she went for an early scan, the dr told her she might have a miscarriage as there is blood around the baby? She is not bleeding or anything, this is her scan pic , her HCG level is 6500. Does it sound right?

I had an early miscarriage at 4.5 wks but it was chemical & passed as period, I didn't do any blood tests, & I never had HCG level checked in my previous pregnancies so I have no clue. I thought a miscarriage this early usually involves bleeding?

She is freaking out bless her as I had a mmc in April at almost 10 w :nope:

The dr wants to re-scan on Saturday but I think it is useless this early? I mean drs are private here, she doesn't have insurance, I don't want her to go for unnecessary scans, my dr refused to do any scans for me this early & she waited until I was almost 7 weeks in both of my pregnancies. She will go for another blood test to check her HCG level on Saturday, but she's not sure about the scan?

I feel clueless & I feel bad for her :( I feel that it is my miscarriages that are freaking her out :(

I tried to reassure her that it is still too early & cramps are normal, according to her she didn't have any cramps when she was pregnant with her son, I even told her that a scan this early will not show much, but she is still freaking out.

Should she go for another scan on Saturday? Or should she wait another week? Does her HCG sounds right?

Eta: she is 5w 1d not 4w 1d

Hi love, I'm a sonographer. On that image I can't see any bleeding around the gestation sac so don't know what the dr is talking about. It looks like a normal 5 week gestation sac. Did they do an internal ultrasound? That might be better. I would get her to wait until at least 5-7 days from the day that picture was taken in order to be able to see a fetal pole.

Also the period cramps are very normal and if she is not bleeding, this is good. Good luck!!! I'm sure it will be fine, although none of us have a crystal ball xxxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->