Anyone had experience with Citalopram in pregnancy

KellyW1982

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am nearly 6 weeks pregnant and have been on 30mg of Citalopram for nearly 2 years now. I lowered my dose to 20mg a week ago as soon as I found out I was pregnant- went to see doc today who told me to stay on 20 for another 2 week and then lower to 10 for a further 2 weeks and then go back to the docs to discuss. She said there is no hard evidence of doing harm to the baby but it is suggested that taking Citalopram in early pregnancy could possibly lead to heart defects. I have come home absolutely worried sick.... I just want to stop the Citalopram straight away now but the side effects could do more harm. I feel it's quite a long time to carry on taking them and wondering if I could maybe come off them quicker.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Any advice would be very helpful

Thank you
Xx

I took 20 mgs of it the entirety of my last pregnancy and am taking 40 mgs of it this pregnancy.
My psychiatrist has done a lot of research on SSRIs in pregnancy and has assured me that citalopram is one of the safest choices available.
You have to weigh the risk vs benefit ratio.
In my case going off the citalopram would be extremely detrimental. The benefits GREATLY out weigh the risks so it was decided that I stay on it.

Are you seeing a psychiatrist or a general practitioner?

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. That has eased my mind a bit. I was put on the Citalopram for anxiety, I had previously been on it years before and so was advised by the GP to stay on it for 2 years this time. I don't feel the benefits outweigh the risk in my case as I would have been ready to come off them pre-pregnancy but now I'm a little worried because of my hormones etc. I will just stick to what the doctor said and slowly reduce them.

Thanks again xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->