Anyone have an underactive thyroid?

WanaBaba

Reaction score
Hi ladies, I got my bfp yesterday and am just worrying a little as I've had underactive thyroid for over a year now and am wondering how this might affect pregnancy if anyone knows? Also if anyone else has ever been pregnant or is pregnant with underactive thyroid, did you have to have more checkups etc? My husband is in the army so we have only just moved to Germany so I still need to register with a doctor over here which I can hopefully do on Monday! TIA x

Hi. I was diagnosed after I had my oldest son, 12 years ago. Not sure how it works in Germany but in UK it means you get put under Consultant led care as it is classed as an autoimmune disorder. This means once a month at the hospital and a monthly thryoid function test as pregnancy can mess with your levels. Your pregnancy should not be affected as long as your levels are monitored. There's a higher risk of your children developing hypothyroid though as it can be hereditary. Sounds scary but it is easily treated as you probably already know. None of my children have developed it.

I've been on 150mcg of levothyroxine for 12 years and my levels have never been off in pregnancy, but this time it was picked up as being low so im having repeat blood tests. Its kinda nice to be monitored so well !!

Good luck amd congratulations x

Thankyou for your reply hun. Yes I suppose it would be a plus side being monitored more often just not the needles hate that part lol. Glad to hear it hasn't affected your pregnancies I think I scared myself after looking on Google! X

Can I ask if it has affected you being able to produce milk at all? Read this quite a lot on Google and it has really worried me as I really want to breastfeed this time x

I guess everyone is different but it's never affected me at all. I had normal milk production in each pregnancy. I think it all depends on how well you look after yourself.

Best advice is to make sure you don't miss any meds and take a multi vitamin as well. Make sure your doc keeps on top of your bloods and I'm sure you will be fine. Once the sicky stage passes I always find that pregnancy make me feel better than normal anyway. As even with your thyroid meds controlled you can still suffer being tired and cold :)

Thanks hun that is very reassuring to know xx

Hiya Hun, my oh is in the army and I got an under active thyroid when we were based in Germany. They are super over there. Are you registered with the med centre on camp?
I have also had 2 boys and no problems whatsoever during pregnancy. I was unable to give birth in midwife led units and user consultant care only. The only thing that they seemed to do was take more bloods as sometimes you need a higher dose of thyroxine when you are pregnant.
I never had any issues with production of milk due to my thyroid problems either.
Congratulations x

Hey hun thankyou and congratulations to you too :)
I haven't registered yet as still waiting on my hubby sorting my I'D as think you need this to be able to register.
Sorry for random questions but was the hospital you went to on camp too or will I have to go to a Germany one? I've not been on camp yet so don't know much about it xx

Hiya, I'm 21 and I've had an under active thyroid (hashimotos) for around 4 years now I have no advice but I shall be stalking this thread as I'm also wondering if it could affect my pregnancy.

Hi ladies, I have an underactive thyroid/hashimoto's disease that was diagnosed shortly after I gave birth to my son. My biggest suggestion is just to get a blood test as soon as you can because your levels can change dramatically in pregnancy. As long as you're monitored (which will likely be a blood test every 4 weeks) then all should be fine.

I've talked to an endocrinologist who said that as long as my TSH is normal (under 2 for first tri I believe) then there's no need to worry, even with hashimoto's.

I've never had any issues nursing my son, he's still breastfed at 18 months (and I'm 14 weeks pregnant!) If you do have difficulty, you can try mother's milk tea, fenugreek/blessed thistle supplements and lots of water/food. Typically women only experience supply issues if their thyroid is way out of whack, and chances are you'll have frequent blood tests shortly after your pregnancy to make sure that your thyroid is functioning normally. If not they can give you medication which is 100% safe for breastfeeding. :)

I also have an underactive thyroid (not diagnosed until after i had DD), I'm just having my levels monitored closely throughout pregnancy. I did have trouble with milk production for my daughter despite me pumping and feeding on demand. I have no proof it was thyroid related as noone bothered testing my thyroid until months after I dried up. I'm hopeful this time I'll be able to breastfeed now that my thyroid is in check.

Thanks ladies, feeling a lot more positive after reading these. Especially about the breast feeding, my biggest regret is giving up with my DD this time I plan on getting proper help and hopefully being able to do it.
Denise sorry to hear you had trouble with breast feeding with your DD also, here's hoping we both have luck with it this time xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->