Anyone have any "Chewllery"?

Tiff

LIKE A BOSS
Reaction score
We've finally been picked up for OT support through Claire's school. One of the things I mentioned to help with is her constant hair sucking/chewing. I lose track during the day of how many times I have to tell her to get her hair out of her mouth.

What's worse is that when she pulls it out, she clamps down on her hair with her teeth and rips it. :sick: :lol:

Anyhoo, the OT said based off her findings and the questionnaire that I filled out that she's hyposensitive to touch. Which I suppose I already knew as she's always been a pressure seeker.

Anyways, some of the suggestions were to let her chew on pretzels, licorice, gum and popcorn. She hates ALL except for popcorn, but I really don't want her eating all day. Apparently chewing helps make her calm, which I suppose makes sense as many people eat when they are unhappy. :shrug: I know I do!

So long story short the other non-food version is chewllery. Its jewellery that she can wear (necklaces etc) that are meant to be chewed on so hopefully she'll bite down on that rather than her hair.

Anyone have any? Thoughts on them? She hates wearing necklaces and bracelets so I have zero idea how to introduce them to her.

Aiden has some bracelets, they are bright plastic and he does like them. He doesn't chew them instead if other things though, just as well as. Helps a little sometimes but he'll forget and go back to what he was doing before.

You can get chewable tops for pencils at school that could be helpful?

An OT that works with my school has recommended kids chew the plastic coffee stir sticks. I don't think that's ideal either necessarily but is another non food idea they recommended.

They do have the pencil toppers, but she's got such weak motor skills (another thing they are working with her - she's got the same as a 2 year old) so she doesn't enjoy holding a pencil or pen.... not sure if she'd go for chewing on one.

And yeah I'd be worried about her choking on the plastic coffee stir sticks, although that would be good too! I enjoy chewing on them myself :blush:

:hugs: chewigem! Love it they do so many different cool things and sur they do worldwide shipping. They are on FB too x we have dog tag style, big beaded necklace, a skull on a pendant, bracelets!

my son has some chewigems :) hes not too keen on them though and would much rather chew hsi fingers or his top or anything really x

I know a few children who find this comforting, though they don't necessarily understand the difference between things they are allowed to chew and things that they aren't. They always prefer the things that they aren't meant to chew! Have collected a box of things for them to 'test' under supervision to explore what works best for them. Through this have noticed some also enjoy picking/ fraying fabric, ripping or just having something to twiddle.

Ideally they'd chew something that doesn't break into little bits. Balloon sticks are quite good. Some people are a bit uncomfortable with the idea but - rubber dog chews - don't always look obviously like a dog toy, they're good value and tend to last quite well. Also for children who chew and rip clothes - offered a flannel instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->