Anyone have excess fluid?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by punkiedog99, Jan 25, 2011.

1. punkiedog99

punkiedog99 Member

I had my 33 week appt yesterday, and I measured in at 44 cm. I am 5'2 and normally I measure ahead about 2-3 cm just because I had some leftover belly from my last two pregnancies. So when the doctor saw how far ahead I was measuring this time he set me up for an u/s tomorrow and explained that he thinks I have excess fluid.

My bp was up too to 146 over 60's when it has been in the 90's over 60's. Also over the last week I have started to swell up and been very dizzy. He went ahead and checked me because of all of these new developments to an otherwise normal pregnancy. I am not dialated but am very soft and short, and so he explained that he is worried that there is extra fluid causing my body to think it is further along than it is.

I quickly googled excess fluid, but quickly stopped. I thought that maybe hearing from others with it would be better than reading everything that is out there. I assume it is nothing to worry about....except that I am HUGE and the told that is taking?? :)

2. Emmie M

Emmie M Well-Known Member

I had a growth scan at 35 weeks and was told I have extra fluid,I am also huge,bump looks twice as big as it did when having DS1. I dont have any other troubles,BP,swelling etc,just more fluid. I am under midwife care but as I am classed as a high risk because I am also overweight I am under consultant care. After I had the scan I had to see the consultant (as matter of course not because of the fluid) and I mentioned to her about the amount of fluid as she didnt say anything to me about it being written on the scan print out,all she said was that it was fine and its better to have more fluid than not enough fluid. But I dont know about the other things you mentioned. Dont worry,just see what the scan says tomorrow

3. charliemidge

charliemidge Well-Known Member

I had a growth scan at 35 weeks as i was huge (way bigger than with my first) and measuring way above dates, my blood preasure and everything else was perfectly fine .. i went for the scan and was told that yes my baby is big for dates but i was also told i had ALOT of excess fluid.

They told me that there was not much that they could do but would monitor me and that i probably wouldnt go to dates - well i have as im due this Thursday (all being well as i dont want to go over) so i guess each and every pregnancy is different and you never can tell.

Could luck with your scan and you will know more about what is happening tomorrow :)

4. tootles123

tootles123 adores her little Miss

I have slightly raised fluid levels - good plan not to google - really not worth it. My OH always says that few report the positive on the internet...so you usually end up with the worst case and panic for no reason. Just take advice from MW/Dr's. My levels were not so high to cause concern so everything is going ahead as planned.
    Sure you'll be ok - good luck with the scan. :hugs:

5. punkiedog99

punkiedog99 Member

Thanks everyone! I just appreciate the reassurance. I know that we will know a lot more tomorrow morning, but of course the day is dragging and I can't get my mind off of it. :) Will let you know what happens. I am sure itis nothing, but of course they have to scare me! :)

6. punkiedog99

punkiedog99 Member

Update: Just wanted to share how my u/s went this morning. I do have normal fluid levels, just at the upper end of normal. So that is great news. The baby looked very healthy and was practice breathing. The kicker was that he is measuring in at 6 pounds, 12 ounces!!! His measurements had him around 38 weeks, 4 days once combined. THey called in my OB to talk to us and he talkeda bout taking it easy for fear of preeclampsia (my BP is getting higher and swelling worse) and that he is just hoping for a couple more weeks as he doesn't think we will get close to our due date with his guys size.

So...I am relieved since I of course ended up googling about excess fluid and freaked myself out. Though now I am also wanting to run around and get everything ready just in case he does come sooner than later.