Anyone have high blood pressure?

mom22boys

Reaction score
Mine is running around 140 / 80 the dr said it needs to be lower but never said anything else now I wonder how I need to handle this? Plus should I even be ttc? Ugh a miscarriage now this!!

Mine is on the high side too, I'm a slim and fit non smoker and it's likely a genetic thing for me :cry:

First thing I'd do is buy yourself a blood pressure monitor and take it at home a few times, I'm apparently stressed at the doctors and magically when I do it at home it's often in the normal range.

My doc has advised me that I'm doing all the right things (except minimising stress, IDK what to do about that since it's caused by my job and my ex!) so I'm not going to stop TTC. In some ways it was pretty funny when they discovered it, as they took it three times, they didn't believe it the first time :rofl:

Do you have any lifestyle risk factors you can improve or is yours also genetic?

well, I am sure its genetic, stress, overweight, ect. My husband said I just needed to loose weight. (he said it in a kind way)! This has been the worst year ever! SO I am sure that doesnt help. I am trying to exercise and we are seeing nutritionalist (whatever I cannot spell worth a flip and no spell check!) I just dont want to stop ttc!

I also tend to be on the high side. Well it is the lowest one that is too high, the other is ok.
My scenario is similar to NorthStar, however stress is what causes mine.

Doctor said that if i got pg, they will monitor me quite often to make sure it does not go too high.

Weight is not everything around this though, I'm not overweight.

There are people much bigger than I am with good blood pressure, like Sus says it can totally be stress/genetic.

My scenario is that I'm in the healthy weight range (BMI 24) and like Sus don't smoke, only drink up to 2 units of alcohol a week, eat healthy with 5 minimum fruit and veg a day, don't each much processed food, go to gym 4 times a week.

I dread to think what mine would be like if I wasn't doing this stuff!

Having said that a few weeks ago I was getting reading at home in the region of 125/80 but that was before I spent 6 weeks living out a suitcase and had some legal stress with my ex :shrug:

Yeah, similar here NorthStar, only i dont get to go to the gym these days, I walk a lot though.

Stress IS a big thing, mine really shhots up in stressful situations. You would think that by being so healthy you dont get hight blood preassure, but it happens! I think mine could be genetic too as my dad has it. I need to buy that device to take it at home as well. It would be useful to control it.

I got a blood pressure monitor pretty cheapy (£10 in Lidl's!) and a few times a week I just take it at home. My dad has high BP, so does his sister, they are not bigger people or smokers etc, so really it's just bad genetic luck

Was hoping that the COCK would help it is supposed to lower BP, but since I've been taking the cock life has also got a lot more stressful. I wish I could be a relaxed and laid back person, but I'm just not wired that way :shrug:

Thanks everyone! This has been the worst year ever for me and my family, it just seems like we cannot catch a break! Anyway, I am sure stress is what the problem is cause I have never had problems with it before.

Hi ladies, I had high blood pressure in my teens and early twenties due to kidney problems and was medicated for it at the time. Everything settled down by mid twenties and I was able to ween off meds:) I'm 37 now and slowly but surely mine's crawling back up, it was 138/88 this week. I'm not overweight either and non smoker, non drinker, mine is from my kidneys which are still fine just blood pressure:wacko: Mine is considered high normal so no medication yet :) but I have started walking everyday again and am doing acupunture to try to keep it down..mine too is triggered by stress and with 2 failed IVF cycles behind me its no wonder its on the highish side lol.

I also have high BP and unfortunately mine's is weight related. I've lost some weight since and the dose has been decreased. Since I'm 39 my OB/GYN said she was less concerned with my weight and BP as compared to my age when I talked with her about TTC. So my BP meds were changed from Diltiazem to Labetolol because it is safer during pregnancy. Obviously nothing is better than no meds at all, but for me the benefits definitely outweigh the risks.

I was on Zestril at the time :) I have no issue taking them again if I have to, the benefits do outwiegh the risks for sure :)

Thanks everyone! I am glad I am not alone! Sorry you guys have BP problems too! Neither of my Dr's have seemed too concerned about it.

Your BP that you mentioned is not that bad, do something about it now if you can and you'll be fine :thumbup:

Don't let it be another thing that stresses you out.

^^^wot she sed!

140/80 is the high end of normal (often referred to as stage 1 hypertenson)...where 120/80 is optimal.

But just by doing a few simple things you could bring your BP right back down, very quickly.....cut out salt, and drop the caffeine...even if you can't cut the caffeine completely, you can definitely cut it down. I'm major coffee addict...my filter machine is brewing almost from dawn to dusk! But I don't drink caffeine after midday. I just switch to decaff filter coffee instead. Good quality decaff tastes no different! If I do drink tea, I also only drink decaff tea.
You already know that losing the excess weight should help too...but focussing on the excercise will make a big difference too, getting fitter will definitely help to lower your BP.

I was on BP meds for a couple of years, mostly due to my thyroid (although my weight & smoking didn't help :blush: ), but my GP took me off it completely when I told her I was TTC.
I monitored myself at home daily for the first month, and now I just check it at home once a week, and my GP checks it when I go in for my thyroid bloods....because TTC aside, my BP had to be my health priority....but it stayed down and I've stayed off the meds :thumbup:
I'm still over-weight, and I still haven't successfully quit the smokes. But I am dietting, I am exercising 4 days a week, I take no additional salt with meals and I think the caffeine thing for me was a biggie too!

Best of luck with it, and honestly 140/80 isn't horrific, so don't stress over it :hugs:

Yeah and ironically stressing over your blood pressure is really bad for your blood pressure.

FuzzyCaz has given you some good advice OP, let us know how you get on.

I've stopped adding salt to food (except eggs) and I only have my two cups of coffee a day (first thing).

Salt is a definate to get rid of as much as you can and caffiene is my biggest problem. I don't drink, smoke but I do have at least 4 caffienated drinks per day:dohh: when I went to see the acupunturist she told me for every caffienated drink I have to then drink a glass of water to compensate. I've been doing that and hopefully that will help:winkwink:

^^^wot she sed!

140/80 is the high end of normal (often referred to as stage 1 hypertenson)...where 120/80 is optimal.

But just by doing a few simple things you could bring your BP right back down, very quickly.....cut out salt, and drop the caffeine...even if you can't cut the caffeine completely, you can definitely cut it down. I'm major coffee addict...my filter machine is brewing almost from dawn to dusk! But I don't drink caffeine after midday. I just switch to decaff filter coffee instead. Good quality decaff tastes no different! If I do drink tea, I also only drink decaff tea.
You already know that losing the excess weight should help too...but focussing on the excercise will make a big difference too, getting fitter will definitely help to lower your BP.

I was on BP meds for a couple of years, mostly due to my thyroid (although my weight & smoking didn't help :blush: ), but my GP took me off it completely when I told her I was TTC.
I monitored myself at home daily for the first month, and now I just check it at home once a week, and my GP checks it when I go in for my thyroid bloods....because TTC aside, my BP had to be my health priority....but it stayed down and I've stayed off the meds :thumbup:
I'm still over-weight, and I still haven't successfully quit the smokes. But I am dietting, I am exercising 4 days a week, I take no additional salt with meals and I think the caffeine thing for me was a biggie too!

Best of luck with it, and honestly 140/80 isn't horrific, so don't stress over it :hugs:

Thanks! I dont do soda's, salt however is a biggie for us we just love it! I was also drinking lots of v-8 juice, LOADed with sodium, so I stopped it too. Again thanks for the info!

9i have high bp,was 178/110 dr put me on ramipril it droped to 138/88,went see dr cos we want ttc she said to stop taking them as not safe.got go bk in few week get my bp checked again,it run in my famliy,i have 5 boys all ready with ex hubby never had prob with my bp till now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->