Anyone have kind of a big age gap between kids?

mammag

Expecting a Rainbow
Reaction score
My "baby" is 10 years old. Some days I'm like, holy crap what have I done! Lol, I'm starting all over again! In a lot of ways it's nice though, DS is soooo excited for this baby, and I feel like he will be a huge help. I'm super grateful i don't have a toddler to chase after as wel.

However! I feel like I have no idea what's happening! This is my 3rd child, so people expect me to be a veteran, but everything feels SO new, that in a lot of ways I feel like a ftm. Pregnancy is definitely not like riding a bike, but I'm really hoping parenthood is.

I think that will be nice, he will be able to help in great ways, I bet the bond between them will be fab.

I agree that it will be nice to have them so far apart. Big brother will be able to help out a lot. My first 2 are only going to be a little over 2 years apart, but the next will be several years down the road(5-6). I think it will be easier when the older 2 can help out in little ways.
My DH actually has a little brother who is 11 yrs younger than him. He helped his mom out a lot and is pretty close to his brother. DH was always his protector. He was always the one my BIL would go to if he needed advice, and still does at almost 19.

My first is 9 years old and i have a 1 year old and I honestly have NO idea how I would cope without all his amazing help!! And his little brother just loves his big bro to bits!!! Im pregnant now with my 3rd and Im crapping myself with the reality of such a small age gap this time around!!!

My DS is 8 and my step daughter is 12, they are the biggest help!
They were 6 and 10 when DD was born and I was amazed at how much they wanted to help :) Its a blessing really! They LOVE their sister and now that she is 2 and running around they play SO well together.
My step daughter is over on the weekends and my daughter doesnt want anything to do with me when she is here :( kinda almost makes me sad.
DS is great with her during the week, she gets SO excited when he gets off the bus. I was actuallly a bit disappointed when he went back to school lol my little helper was gone ;)
So needless to say they are really excited to have another little sister.
Eventually they will get too old to play with her like they do now, as any teenager would but I figured by then the new DD will be old enough to play, they are only 20 months apart :)

Im sure you will do great! ;) kinda like ridding a bike!
its the sleep deprivation your going to just have to get used to lol

I haven't even had my first yet, so I can't comment on raising children with a huge age gap, but my sister is 15 years older than me and I LOVED it growing up! I had the benefit of feeling like an only child, but still having a sibling to be close with. She and I are best friends now, we never fought growing up, and she always did my hair/bought me cute dresses when I was a toddler. It really was amazing!

My ds#1 will be 12 right after DD is born. Ds#2 just turned 7. I don't know how it will work out but I do know that they are more excited about their little sister than most kids I know who are expecting a sibling.
as far as being a veteran, I know the feeling! It has been ages since I've been around a baby for any length of time!! So much has changed. Its like starting over, almost like being a new mom again as this is my first girl. I don't really know what to expect and can't remember too much from previous pregnancies. Labor and delivery and taking care of lo isn't a worry but pregnancy pains, labor spotting, new hospital policies, new car seat regulations, what to buy and not to, how much of everything! Whew! Its so much!!

I just had my second. There is an almost 12 year age gap between them. And man, it's been overwhelming.

DD is 6 next month so there are 5 years between my rwo and she is such a fabulous help although needs to be reminded not to lift him etc! There is only going to be 18 months between these 2 but we wanted a smaller age gap and someone for DS to grow up with as I can just imagine DD getting to her teens and still wanting to play with her brother..........not! Haha 😂

My dd was 10 when we had our first ds and she was like a second mother to him. Admittedly it did feel like I was a ftm again but it was lovely.

She's now not too far off babysitting age lol.x

My DS is 6 I don't mind the age gap cause like u said they can help out and they are more excited. I know what u mean about feeling like its your first baby all over again I feel the same. Everything does kind of change when there is years between them just getting to grips with it now

Yes!
Ds is 11.
And I agree with you when you say if feels like the first time again because it does! I can hardly remember anything from ds pregnancy. But I do know how he excited he is and itll be nice to have a little helper aswell :)

My first ds will be turning 6 before my due date. I'm happy I waited until my first ds was alil older so he can help out :). Its been a while so I'm sure it may feel weird. But I also believe that a mother never loses her touch :).

I think big age gaps are good and bad. I have twin brothers who are 12 years older then me, one sister who is 15 years older then me and one who is 16 years older then me. The downside was not having them living at home when I was a kid so i wasn't as close to them as a child. However I was always mature and advanced in my learning for my age as I was constantly around adults and my older siblings who taught me so much. I always looked up to them as roll models etc. And I could go to them for advice about anything. Now as I am 25, we don't even notice the age gap. And are like any other sibling. Only thing is we never fight. Because we never had to compete for attention etc as children.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->