anyone have tranvaginal ultrasound and everything turned out ok?

lizzywiz

Mama to one monkey
Reaction score
I know this is going to sound neurotic and paranoid, but here it goes:

I read up on ultrasounds and decided I would go with just one,around the 20th-22nd week and minimal or no doppler checks.
I know many women have had many ultrasounds, but my attitude is why risk it?
Well, the midwives recommended I get checked, as I have PCOS and have had some bleeding, and so I call to schedule and they said it would probably be transvaginal.
So that means I am breaking two of the rules to keep ultra sounds safer- avoid in early pregnancy and avoid higher power/ more exposure devices (transvaginal exposes baby to more).
Ugh.
Has anybody here had a trans vaginal with no ill effects? I am worried to do anything to mess with lil' bean's development and health :cry:

I am asking here 'cause I am pretty sure that some people may think I am crazy for even worrying about this and I figured you all might understand!

i had one at 6wks with this pregnancy and baby is fine and healthy i have another scan in just under 2 wks it will be the 4th for this pregnancy.

i look at it as if they could show links to anything whatever problem it would be would be much more prevelant in multiples/twin/triplet and high risk babies as they have alot more scans than a normal pregnancy. than in normal singleton babies and they havent ever linked anything to the use of ultrasound in pregnancy. the baby is well protected in there by the uterus and the amniotic fluid

Nothing wrong with being worried. I had one at 6 weeks to make sure all was well admit had a mc two months before. Then one at 8 weeks. Everything was fine for me and baby.

I had one at 7W5D and baby is fine. I had VERY slight spotting afterward, but that is it.

Nothing wrong with being worried.

That is one of the nicest things anyone has said to me since I started this crazy, wonderful journey. Thank you :flower:

You're welcome. I have learned that being worried, is just part of being a parent. It's what you do with the worry that you have to be mindful. You will worry about more things than you can imagine right now, and that's normal. You just have to try not to let the worry take over. Easier said than done I know. Perfect example I was watching my 3 1/2 year old on the monitor to make sure he stayed in bed. Well it looked like he feel asleep on his face, so I went and moved him. Haha. Ahhhh, welcome to parenthood. ;)

I don't think you sound neurotic at all! I was also very worried about getting one (and remember posting a similar thread back then in the PAL section), but my OB was pretty firm in me getting one since i'd had a m/c a few months beforehand. Anyway, i had one at 6 weeks, and baby's still doing fine.

H&H 9 months to you! :flower:

With Toby i had a transvaginal scan at 6 weeks and 6 days pregnant (and then abdominal scans at 8+1, 10+5, 19+5 and 24+1) and all was well with the rest of his pregnancy and he's a happy healthy little guy now :thumbup:

This time i had a scan at 6 weeks 3 days but it was at a private clinic and it was done transabdominally, the image wasn't as clear but we could still see what we needed to- i.e. baby and heartbeat! :thumbup: I also had further scans at 8+5, 13 weeks and 20+1 in this pregnancy and everything is looking good.

HTH :flower:

I had 2 in my first pregnancy hun and all was fine. TV ultrasounds aren't ideal but they are safe hun xx

I had one at 7 weeks (since I'd had a previous mc) to confirm viable pregnancy and then another one at 12 weeks with the nuchal test. As far as I know, baby is healthy. I think its right to be concerned about too much radiation (x-rays and such) but ultrasounds just use sound waves, so I think all is safe.

i had 2 with LO.
one at 6 weeks and one at 10 weeks.
everything went great :thumbup:

I also had a transvaginal at about 6 weeks as I had some bleeding and had a m/c 2 months before. Everything is fine. I have since had my 12 week nuchal test/dating scan and my 20 week anomaly scan. I will also have one at 36 weeks as I had a low-lying placenta at 20 weeks.
I wouldn't have them done unnecessarily but I don't think they do any harm really (it may not be good if you have them every day?!)

I had a transvaginal at 9 weeks with no problems.

I've had one in very early pregnancy...around the 6-9 week mark with each pregnancy. My boys are both completely fine and this LO seems to be doing well... try not to stress too much hun.. :hugs: and h&h 9 months to you!! x

Thanks, everyone- I ended up forgoing, even though I felt a bit silly about it. I just figured if the baby sticks but anything is still wrong I can find out at my 12 week when they check for a heartbeat and as soon as I decided I felt better.
I really appreciate all of the comments and support. I have spent a lot of this pregnancy embarrassed about my anxieties but unable to quell them, and it was nice to get such nonjudgmental feedback.

I have had about 15 so far (not exaggerating) I had a lot of bleeding and was checked every time I started bleeding (sometimes twice a week) They need to check me transvaginally every time I am bleeding to make sure it is not coming from the uterus. I also have a home doppler that I use practically daily because of all the spotting I have. I have not had the baby yet, but so far everything looks great and baby has been measuring right on schedule etc. I know my friend who has the same doctor as me had many ultrasounds and she gave birth to a healthy 8 pound baby a few months ago! HOpe all goes well! :)

If you look on the gestational complications board, you will find a thread about Threatened labour/IC/Cerclage and you will see several ladies on there that had weekly tansvaginal U/S to check cervical length and their babies were fine. One lady is very helpful, called Lizziedripping, she had twins with a cerclage (after a previous loss) and then a singleton I think and still comes on to answer questions for other ladies. She will answer any Q's you have on this I'm sure as she had many TV ultrasounds with all her pregnancies and her babies are born a while ago, all fine.

I take it you've been reading Sarah Buckley? I did too so I declined my 12 weeks scan as I felt bad about getting too many and didn't want the NT. I wish I hadn't but that's another story, not for here. Try not to get to hung up on guilt and do what's right for you. XXX

I had one at 9 weeks with this pregnancy, and one at 8 weeks with my first pregnancy. They didn't last long, and for me, the risk was offset by the anxiety I felt - IMO better for your baby to have a chilled out mama and a short TV US, than the other way around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->