Anyone in nursing school?

MrsGax

Reaction score
Hi! I am currently taking pathophysiology and epidemiology and I start my core fundamentals of nursing classes next month! :happydance: I am extremely excited as I have been waiting for this since I was 16 but I am TERRIFIED at the same time. I know nursing is not for everyone and it is HARD, messy work, but I hope I love it. Any nursing students/nurses out there? I hope I have the passion I have now once I am actually a nurse. I have a sister in law that is not exactly fond of her job as a RN and it makes me nervous to be honest. Anyways, thank you for reading and if you have ANY tips/tricks/advice for getting through school and while being a RN, I will appreciate it!

I'm and RN and while there are many days that I get frustrated with my job and the facility I work at, I do still love being a nurse. I worked in a small community hospital for 3 years and now work in a long term care facility on a short term rehab unit. We get a lot of post surgical patients. Nursing is definitely not for everyone and the schooling is not easy.

I would suggest getting as many pre-requisites and electives done before the nursing courses. When I went to school I did everything before hand or over the summer in between my years of nursing. Don't get frustrated right away when you're done either. It takes awhile to get used to everything. I would suggest working in a hospital for at least 1 year even if that's not what you want to do long term. It will help you learn all the skills you need and improve on ones you learned in school.

Is there a certain field of nursing you want to work in?

I'm a 3rrd year student nurse, currently on Mat leave. I'll qualify next September :)

In terms of tips - plan your work. If your course is anything like mine, then you'll quite often have lots of stuff to do at once. Like an essay due in whilst your on placement, then the assessment documents from your placement due the following week. Then an exam the week after. So plan, plan, plan. Give yourself plenty of time to look for books and articles.

Oh, and make sure that whenever you write an essay, you have your school's referencing guidelines right there in front of you. It's a daft place to lose marks, but I don't know anyone who hasn't made a mistake with referencing (either in-text or in their ref list at the end). Always give yourself time to proof-read (and better yet, have someone with no nursing knowledge proof-read it too!).

It's a hard course, but a rewarding one. Good luck :)

hi there :wave: i am first year nursing, about to start second semester at the end of the month. i am only part time as im in no rush but so far i have just completed my first semester fundamentals course with a distinction :thumbup: i am expecting a major decline in grades when i begin HUBS(do you call it that?human bioscience?), lol. a lot of my classmates are full time so did their first semester hubs already so i have all their weekly learning outcomes and i am going to spend the next 6 months and end of year hols especially studying all i will need to know so i get a head start.
i am looking forward to being a nurse, nothing has really stood out to me as something i would like to do until i decided on nursing/medicine. i am interested in doing medicine if i finish my BN with decent enough grades

oh referencing argggh!!!i lost two whole marks in my last essay cos i put a , instead of a & in all my in text citations..was not a happy camper!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->