Anyone know anything about Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms?

K

katiemae7031

**I'm reposting this question because I just realized I posted the original in the wrong forum! Sorry if you already read my question in the General Chatter area...
I'm not a member of any other website forum than BnB and I didn't really know where else to ask this or who else to turn to other than all you lovely gals on BnB! You guys are always so supportive and informative, so I thought maybe I could still ask my question here....

My father has an AAA. He was diagnosed in 2007. Recently, he had it re-measured and we found out that it has grown in length. It used to stretch from his heart down to where his aeorta splits at his legs. Now, it is reaching all the way down his thighs and it stops right above the knee cap. However, it hasn't grown width wise (if that makes sense). It's still the same as the last time he had it checked which is 4.7 cm. They measure his aneurysm twice a year. What are the chances that his aneurysm will stay the same and not grow anymore? Does anyone know someone who has survived this kind of aneurysm? Can he go on to live the rest of his life without it rupturing? Or is it more likely that he could succumb to this? I don't mean to sound insensitive to the situation. I just want answers, and I won't get them unless I ask these questions. Some insight on this would be greatly appreciated. And don't be afraid to be honest with me. I have been trying to do research on this, but I feel like hearing personal experiences with this will help me to understand this situation better.

Hi lovely,
I used to work on cardiac intensive care for a while. The aneurysm is due to a weakened section of the aortic wall and normally surgery is recommended eventually. They measure the size of the aneurysm to weigh up the chance of it rupturing. Best way to prevent the aneurysm growing bigger is diet, by doing light exercise and quitting smoking. I can't say how likely it is your dads aneurysm will get bigger but its good that it hasn't grown any more and it sounds like the drs are keeping a good eye on him. Biggest ive known that was operated on was 9cm. In the unit I worked in they would start to screen for surgery around the 5-6cm mark, basically to try to use an artificial material to strengthen the vessel wall, but they will only do the surgery if the benefit outweighs the risk of surgery. It's more rare for it to rupture, and its usually people who were never aware they had it in the first place coming in through A&E. I have seen tonnes of people post surgery who have survived AAA, but its probably because I worked in that area!
If you need to know any more about your dads specific situation, I would talk to the people looking after him, they will be able to give you a better idea about your dads future x

Thank you all for your replies. I know each case is unique to the individual, but I was just looking for a little insight. You were all very helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->