• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Anyone know the UK DEFRA rules well to fly pets?

MonstHer

Reaction score
So I am moving to the UK from Japan after January and the rules change.
https://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/pets/pet-owners/#eu
This is the link to their website.
I've already called them and talked to someone, and from what I understand, the quaratine or six month testing cycle is not mandatory if I've got the 21 day vaccine thing and all their other stuff is good to go?

Does anyone work for DEFRA or is familiar with their changing flight guidelines?

Thanks.

I don't work for DEFRA but I do have experience of flying dogs using the current UK PETS scheme, and it looks like you have it spot on with regard to the incoming new regulations!

And don't forget you need to make sure your pet (dog, cat or ferret) travels on an approved route, with an approved airline, from Japan to Heathrow/Gatwick, and you're good to go!

Hope the move goes smoothly for you and your pet :flower:

Hey, thanks for replying!
I'm so happy the PETS scheme is going away, otherwise i wouldn't have been able to take them. :(
Do you give your dogs anything to help them on your trip?
I've heard about psuedo sedatives... I was thinking about giving them that.
I've got a content domestic shorthair that I'm not too worried about... but my Siamese is horribly fussy....
Also, this may sound stupid, but do they just go to the bathroom in the the kennel? I would guess since the flight from Mainland Japan to England is like 16 hours...
I hope they are O.K.
You mentioned Heathrow/Gatwick,
My ultimate destination is Suffolk...

Sorry for the delay in replying....my t'internet connection has been horrible for the last while, and I'm struggling to stay online :growlmad:

Stay away from the sedatives...they won't accept sedated animals on flights. A sedated pet finds it hard to control their body temperature, and whilst its not freezing cold/roasting hot in the hold, the temperature can fluctuate a little and the animals in the hold need to be able to react to this and regulate their temperature.

With regards to toiletting in the crate..sadly, if they need to go, they need to go. But you may well find they hold it just fine.

The longest flight I ever sent a dog on was 20+ hours to Singapore....I fretted and fretted, and made myself sick with worry (it is inevitable, no matter how muchItry to placate you I know you will worry)...too long in the crate etc etc....but the handler I had engaged to meet the dog at the other end said that he bounced out of the travel crate, once cleared through customs, happy as larry...and cleanas awhistle. His first port of call was to christen the nearest Singaporean lamp-post though:haha:
All you can do, especially on the longhaul flights...its use proper vet-bed (water drains straight through it keeping the fluffy toplayer dry & comfy) and line it with ample newspaper underneath.

Selotape (or marker pen) your cat's names on their individual boxes, so that the handlers can talk to them using their names when they are being shuttled on and off the plane(s) - the handlers I have spoken to tell me this is a big help to them because they are all animal lovers too, and like to know their names, and it helps to keep the pets happy too.

All IATA flights, approved for carrying pets etc are well versed in handling animals, and all the staff & handlers are well-trained and sensitive to the animals needs & fears.

I know you will worry, no matter what I say....all I ask is that you try not to worry too much, and I'd place good money on betting your cats will travel with absolutely no problems, most likely sleep soundly through almost all of the flight....and when they get out the other end, after clearing through customs, they will not have the faintest idea why you (their human) is most probably crying with happiness & relief, whilst hugging them hard!

With regards to Heathrow/Gatwick...I only had a quick look at approved pet-carrying flights between Japan & UK on the Defra site, but they all seemed to go to either Heathrow or Gatwick...so you will have to choose which one of those you'd prefer them to come into.

Here's a handy page from the IATA site, with regards to flying with pets:
https://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/live_animals/Pages/pets.aspx

And if you want to get into the nitty gritty of what the airlines have to do to become approved pet carriers, this page might help allay some of your fears
https://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/live_animals/Pages/index.aspx

Wow, thanks for all the advice!!
It really does help!
I did not think about the cats having trouble with body temperature if they had sedatives.
I will definitely be writing their names on their carriers!
That is so sweet. :cloud9:
I feel much better about the whole thing. Thank you.
All the flights total from where I am to my final destination will be about 20 hours.
Not to mention the bus trip from Heathrow to Suffolk. : (
The stuff they have to do IS extensive! That makes me happy. : D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"