Anyone made a wrap?

DCS

Reaction score
I brought some jersey cotton fabric and was going to make a moby styled wrap. The little bit of sewing it needed, my mum was going to do. But then i wondered if it was safe? Surely its just a long piece of fabric and there is nothing hidden to make it safer?.
I keep seeing tutorials on pintrest but iv never come across anyone on here who has made one. Not that iv asked tbh.
So has anyone made one?

I haven't made a jersey style one but I did make a non stretchy one.

You wouldn't even need to sew anything on jersey. It doesn't fray so you wouldn't need a hem. (I sew with jersey material all the time, making baby clothes :))

How big is the baby you are going to wrap? Stretchy wraps really are only comfortable up to about 15 lb or so.

Also, I'm sure you know, but stretchy wraps are not for back carries. Baby could too easily push back and fall out on your back.

Good luck! Enjoy babywearing, it is so awesome! :)

I haven't but I would if I needed one. The only thing that would be a big no would be joining two shorter pieces of fabric to make one wrap but I'm sure you knew that! As with any carrier, it's important to check it over regularly but that's it :)

I did. I just overlocked the edges to make it neat.

It would be for a newborn. Iv never back carried before and id be to afraid to.

The guy in the market said i would need 2.5 yards i think it was and said to cut and join the two shorter edges. Which is what i read online. My mum would be sewing it on her factory machines. Is that still a big no no? Doesnt matter if it is, im sure i could find another use for the fabric. Just it seems really wide.

I would not cut it and join it. I have also seen that advice online but I think it is not good advice. I would buy 5 yards and cut it down the middle length wise and gift a wrap to a friend :)

It is especially bad to stitch stretchy fabric in the middle because when the fabric stretches it can very easily pop stitches.

Thanks. Ill pick some more up soon then.

I would not cut it and join it. I have also seen that advice online but I think it is not good advice. I would buy 5 yards and cut it down the middle length wise and gift a wrap to a friend :)

It is especially bad to stitch stretchy fabric in the middle because when the fabric stretches it can very easily pop stitches.

This is exactly what I did. I made my own and then gave the other one to a friend. I chose to sew the sides just for a neater look but you wouldn't have to. It works GREAT and I save a ton of money. I think obviously just keep an eye on the fabric stretching to where it's not safe after a while and some use but I have a big boy and mine looks amazing still and I made two wraps for about $30 with fabric being on sale. I say make your own to anyone interested :winkwink:

Thanks. im sure the fabric was £5.00 for 2.5 yards. So £10 for 5 yards isnt that much and i have a list of uses for the stuff i already brought. Think i will get her to sew around the edges just because it would bug me if i didnt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->