anyone on a tight budget?

LovemyBubx

Mummy, Daddy & Daughter
Reaction score
Hate to admit it really but hoping some of you ladies are the same boat.

I know some may disagree with having a baby with not a whole lot of money but we have improved our situation a lot sine DD. We both work but its just tight at the end of the month.

I wish I could get my dream pram & get lots of lovely maternity clothes & all the rest.

But its just not gonna happen.

I'll probably be looking at some second hand items.

Also worried about Christmas (me & OH haven't had a present for 3 years, as long as DD has what she wants that's the main thing.) And its also her birthday month before baby's due.

Anyone else in a similar situation?

Our budget is really tight as well. I was working before DD was born, went on mat leave for a year and then went back to work. While on mat leave we got a new manager and she was making my work life unbearable. After talking it over with hubby we both agreed since I really didn't bring in that much, only part time and some weeks I would get no hours that I could do what I really wanted which was to be at home with DD. We have managed to do it for a year but I think after baby number 2 is born in Dec, that I may have to go back to work in the new year. Money is just to tight. It's hard and frustrating. I worry about Christmas too. I shop sales as much as I can all year long so DD is mostly taken care of. But I don't have much for hubby. I know Christmas is not about the gifts but I love the feeling of giving and seeing the people I love happy.

Sorry your last job didn't work out.

Its awful going to work but not making much, I'm the same, I have been looking for a better job but I feel time is running out a bit now, I don't think I'll get employed with a bump!

Will have to look after baby is born, even though I know it will be so hard to leave them.

Its a good idea buying presents early, I haven't got a single thing so panicking now its September, seems so close!

I know things will work out somehow but feels a bit impossible atm xx

Absolutely!! I'm not rich or wealthy by any means. We both have jobs as well, but with bills it's always a tight squeeze at the end of the month, just imagine when a baby comes!! We are trying hard to save up for everything though, even if it is pennies right now, it will come in handy I'm sure once the baby's born. I just have faith to know that it will work out for our good no matter what. But I do understand your situation. More people on here are like that than they want to share, but you're definitely far from alone on that one. GL hun:flower:

Thankyou I feel happier knowing I'm not alone (though sorry you have the same situation) it might even be fun getting something at a bargain price knowing someone brought it for a lot of money :)

We're usually not too bad, but we try to stay somewhat thrifty. Especially when we have a couple of other large purchases to make in the next few month unrelated to baby. It will be tighter than normal. I plan to get as much as we can second-hand either off Kijiji or a thrift store.

I buy a lot of things second hand anyway...kids grow so fast, I can't imagine spending a lot of money. I rarely buy furniture new either...I love old stuff. Kids just poop and spit up on stuff anyway...lol. I see so many people trying to sell things they overbought too...so you can get some new things for cheap. (In US we have swip swap groups on Facebook and Craigslist). I will buy the necessary items, but I'm trying to keep it simple.

As far as maternity clothes, I've gotten a few things from old navy and gap and motherhood maternity has great sales that you can stack on top of each other.

Well my job contract ends at the end of October and I haven't found a new one yet. We can't quite live on dh's income alone so things are tight. I am waiting to buy things after Christmas and my birthday to see what we need (and maybe Black Friday deals)

Omg.. this TOTALLY describes us! In May my husband left his job to return to an old job, he was promised to be making about double what he was making at the time.. but it was a contracted position and he never got his contract signed so he was never really an employee.. needless to say he got screwed over money wise so he's since left that to go to yet another job.. this one pays REALLY crappy and is only 26 hours but its medical expirience (he graduates in December and will be an RN, but plans to go all the way to NP) anyway before he got screwed over we had already commited our son to preschool.. he LOVES it and we don't want to take him out if we can manage not to.. and not only that but we are trying to save up fora house.. which we will be buying around the time baby is due (with any luck we'll be in the house before the baby comes! its going to be cutting it VERY close..) we are barely scraping by right now so I am just trying to buy little things here and there, the rest I will worry about once hubby gets a better paying job (likely in January since he graduates in December) . We will be doing a private gender ultrasound but other than that I probably won't be buying too much big stuff until later on.

Except for maybe this one.. I am REALLY struggling right now with a decision that has to be made fast. I found a pack n play that I LOVE, its on clearance so I really want to buy it now but its TOTALLY girly.. my gut is telling me this is another girl but Idk if I want to dish out $85 on a girly pack n play before I know the gender for sure.. and if I buy it now its going to be too late to return it if need be.. but part of me wants to just buy it and then if I can't use it, give it to a good friend as a baby shower gift later on (SOMEONE would use it eventually) or sell it on one of those facebook buy/sell/trade groups.. Idk!! I'm leaning toward it though..

I buy a lot of things second hand anyway...kids grow so fast, I can't imagine spending a lot of money. I rarely buy furniture new either...I love old stuff. Kids just poop and spit up on stuff anyway...lol. I see so many people trying to sell things they overbought too...so you can get some new things for cheap. (In US we have swip swap groups on Facebook and Craigslist). I will buy the necessary items, but I'm trying to keep it simple.

As far as maternity clothes, I've gotten a few things from old navy and gap and motherhood maternity has great sales that you can stack on top of each other.

I know what you mean, buying used can definitely help you save! We have a kid to kid here that I LOVE to buy clothes at (kids thrift store) but I'm picky about furniture..if I buy it used it has to be from someone I trust! I'm getting a pack n play and that will double as the crib (if I get the one I am wanting it can also be used as a changing table), I'll also get a swing and a jumperoo but thats about it for the big stuff.. I don't need a boppy pillow or a real changing table or a diaper genie.. soooo much baby stuff is a waste of money in my opinion!

Urgh, this is us. Technically we're not broke, we should have a few hundred to play around with every month and still afford to eat healthy and have a couple of trips out but we always seem to struggle towards the end of the month because something will come up with my car or his motorbike or there will be lots of friends and family birthdays etc and we have a stupid amount of weddings to go to this year as well as Christmas and DSs birthday coming up.

We've just moved as well and to be honest there is a lot we need to get sorted with the house before baby comes that kind of needs to take priority over buying lots of brand new baby bits. We are lucky to have a couple of friends and OHs sister offer us lots of different bits as they've all had babies this year and are done having their babies now. We want to buy the pram new and a good extended rear facing car seat as well as an isofix booster for DS.

We have a great Facebook group in my area where you can pick up bargains on lots of stuff as well so we will be using that too. After having one as a single mum and being really really strapped for cash I really do believe that babies are as expensive as you make them.

We're going to struggle too. My oh has run up huge debts one of which we have no choice but to literally pay a fortune on each month. We should still be able to live comfortably but my plan was to clear his big debts get some savings behind us and then try for baby number 3, except massive shock this weekend - I find out I'm already pregnant. Still not sure how to even cope with it

I know what you mean, buying used can definitely help you save! We have a kid to kid here that I LOVE to buy clothes at (kids thrift store) but I'm picky about furniture..if I buy it used it has to be from someone I trust! I'm getting a pack n play and that will double as the crib (if I get the one I am wanting it can also be used as a changing table), I'll also get a swing and a jumperoo but thats about it for the big stuff.. I don't need a boppy pillow or a real changing table or a diaper genie.. soooo much baby stuff is a waste of money in my opinion!

Lol I totally agree! Keep it to what you need! So many people buy all the goodies and then never use half or it because of whatever reason. I'd prefer to buy as I need and find deals.

I only buy wood furniture second hand...no mattresses or other things like that. I'd love to find a used convertible crib, so I can use it for a few years at least.

My MIL was horrified to find out I plan to buy a second hand crib (not mattress - will buy that new). I asked her where is the money tree she thinks I have to shake. She said family members should buy me one but honestly there's so much I need help with that if I can get a decent used crib, I would rather that since I'm only having 1 baby.

just a thought if your on facebook theres a great page called i;m having a free xmas 2014 it might not be your thing but one of the main sites people on there use is called swagbucks you do surveys get points and turn points into amazon vouchers people from us and uk do it ive been on a month and have 40 pound in amazon vouchers.
might be worth a look :)

Thank you for sharing ladies.

I have got some things saved from DD moses basket, sheets, some unisex clothes & I even saved her crib, crib bumper & sheet.

Part of me wants new stuff but then why would I of saved it all this time otherwise !?

I wish I new where the money tree is. Baby stuff is so overpriced & shops make you think you need all that extra stuff.

I brought so many clothes for DD, I know they are cute but proper outfits are so much fuss & so much money. This time I'm sticking with just sleep suits (plus I'm sure family will buy special outfits)

I used to use those paid to sites all the time! They take a good chunk of your time for not so much money though... it was nice to get a $20 check every now and then, or an amazon gift card and the money does add up but after a while its just frustrating sometimes. I don't have the time for that anymore with 2 kids and a 3rd on the way. Shuffling one to and from preschool, another to tumbling class AND doing 15 credit hours for college myself... on top of babysitting a good friend's children atleast twice a week. I'm a busy mommy here lately! Its a wonder my house isn't a disaster LOL but it could definitely use cleaning.. Wish I could afford a maid! haha

As for Christmas though (and birthdays) I always start shopping early.. like in March LOL I find something I think my kids would enjoy, I tuck it away in my closet. That way I can give them more and it won't be such a big blow to our bank account come December haha. My Daughter's birthday is in October (and we have 5 other kids birthdays in our family from September-November) and then my dad 3 days after Christmas and my Son in January so I kind of have to plan ahead anyway!

This year my daughter is getting a tinkerbell doll, some slippers, some frozen clothes and a little ride on quad for her birthday (then she's getting a crap ton of other frozen toys and what not for christmas lol.

My son is getting a guitar (a real one) he knows he has it already, he's ALWAYS loved toy guitars so now that he's a little bit older (he will be almost 4) we feel that he's ready for it. He will also get a scooter along with other toys and a new movie. Still have to get him some birthday stuff though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->