Anyone pregnant and overweight?!

Mummy to be x

The 4 of us...♡
Reaction score
I've been on a weight loss mission and lost close to two stone, of course now I've fallen pregnant which is amazing but my question is...can I continue to lose weight or would it be too dangerous?

Thanks ladies :flower:

I'd talk to your doctor. It really varies depending on your weight. I'm overweight and was losing before getting pregnant. Now I'm aiming to maintain my weight. This obviously would lead to some weight loss over all.

I still have three stone to lose to get to an 'ideal' weight so I thought it would be ok as long as I didn't restrict calories too much.

I would talk to your midwife or doctor. It's generally considered safe for people who are truly obese and might have more issues in pregnancy due to their weight (meaning it's safer to continue losing it). I would assume there would be no problems with continuing to eat healthy and stay active as long as you are listening to your body. If you feel hungry, I would eat (something healthy and nutritious) and not restrict your calorie intake, or stay doing the same activities you were before as long as you feel well doing them (if you feel dizzy or tired, stop). Basically, just trust your body and don't overdo it.

I'm overweight (not much, maybe a stone or two) and though I'm not actively trying to lose weight, I do aim to eat a relatively low carb, high protein/fat diet. I've carried on with that generally because I prefer it and I feel better that way, but if I'm hungry, I don't restrict what I eat. I figure my body will tell me what it needs.

I would talk to your midwife or doctor. It's generally considered safe for people who are truly obese and might have more issues in pregnancy due to their weight (meaning it's safer to continue losing it). I would assume there would be no problems with continuing to eat healthy and stay active as long as you are listening to your body. If you feel hungry, I would eat (something healthy and nutritious) and not restrict your calorie intake, or stay doing the same activities you were before as long as you feel well doing them (if you feel dizzy or tired, stop). Basically, just trust your body and don't overdo it.

I'm overweight (not much, maybe a stone or two) and though I'm not actively trying to lose weight, I do aim to eat a relatively low carb, high protein/fat diet. I've carried on with that generally because I prefer it and I feel better that way, but if I'm hungry, I don't restrict what I eat. I figure my body will tell me what it needs.

Thank you! I'll take that advice but I'll speak to my midwife when I have my first appointment :flower:

I'm on the same mission as you. Friend of mine is a Dietitian and Personal Trainer and she said it's not ideal but as long as you eat small, healthy and frequent meals, drink plenty of water and do daily exercise, all the excess weight shouldn't be an issue. Your body should be okay and grow a healthy baby at the same time. :)

I'm not overweight but have been underweight before (I was when I conceived my first pregnancy) and I looked into the whole calorie counting while pregnant thing. I have counted calories in all my pregnancies, both to make sure I was eating enough and that I wasn't eating too much. But the second you say it, people seem really shocked and say "how can you diet while you're pregnant, that's so bad for your baby!" Which is horrible and completely the opposite of what we as mums want.
There is NOTHING wrong with "dieting"/counting calories while you are pregnant. It is a healthy thing to do to make sure you're gaining/maintaining the right amount of weight, as many people eat a lot more than they think they do. You don't need 200 extra calories until your last trimester, so for now you are safe to continue whatever diet you have been following up to now. I don't even need to ask if it's a healthy one, because you wouldn't be posting on bnb if you weren't a caring mum doing the best for her baby!

I would ask your doctor out midwife what a healthy goal is to make sure that it's healthy for you and baby.

Some practitioners are ok with weight loss, others would rather the mom maintain or gain only 15-20 pounds, etc.

I'd say it's best to get guidance.

I didn't lose all my baby weight from my son before getting pregnant again (though i was trying to work on it).

In the beginning i just ate what i could stomach and keep down (which lasted awhile).

I ended up talking to my midwife (still pretty early on) and i told her i was aiming for 2,000 calories / day and she was good with the that since it was adequate. The only thing she said was to make sure i was getting enough protein.

Weight loss or maintenance isn't necessarily a bad thing or a negative thing, but ideally best to discuss with your health care provider to make sure your food plan is sufficient for you and baby. It very well could be just fine, but it's always good to discuss with your provider to make sure in case any adjustments are needed.

I'm also about 1 stone overweight based on BMI. However ive been eating terribly since becoming pregnant so I'll find out Friday how much I've gained! That'll be my first midwife appointment so plan is for her to give me a kick up the arse and help me hopefully figure out how best to lose the weight safely! Just finding it so hard to find food I want to eat. Force fed myself fruit this morning and I was so miserable all day because it just wasn't what I needed. I did slimming world and lost 4 stone but have since gained it back. So I know how to lose the weight I'm just messing it all up for myself! I'd love to go back but £5 a week is too much at the moment :( it's really depressing!

Hi hun I'm doing slimming world during this pregnancy as I'm scared il put a rediculous amount in like I did with my first. I'm currently half a stonelighter in 3 weeks. MMy aim was to loose 3 stone (I'm 16 stone so will still be over weight) but now I'm pregnant I'm not sure. Just gunna keep active and eat healthy and keep going to group. X

Hi hun I'm doing slimming world during this pregnancy as I'm scared il put a rediculous amount in like I did with my first. I'm currently half a stonelighter in 3 weeks. MMy aim was to loose 3 stone (I'm 16 stone so will still be over weight) but now I'm pregnant I'm not sure. Just gunna keep active and eat healthy and keep going to group. X

Ah I've heard a lot of people do slimming world in pregnancy!

Yup I do sliming world, it's approved by royal college of midwives so your midwife will be happy with it too! They give you a special form and plan to follow in pregnancy

I'm in the US, my BMI is around 44 and my Dr really got at me about my weight and basically told me I wasn't allowed to gain more than 10 lbs this entire pregnancy and that it was fine to lose a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->