• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Anyone struggling to breathe laying flat on back?

puffers121

Reaction score
The past few nights I notice if I'm laying on my back on the laptop or something like that, I end up feeling like I'm not getting enough air. Kind of the sense that one gets in a closed in car or after being underwater for a bit and coming up for air. Is this normal or concerning? I've had to get up and walk around a lot because I feel like I just can't get enough air laying down. My lungs feel like they're not expanding full amount.

Nothing else amiss at least. Weird.

Thoughts? I have appointment a week from tuesday, so can bring up then. Ultrasound this thursday too. I feel the baby wiggle, so that's assuring. Is the baby really already impacting me laying down?

You're not supposed to lie flat on your back from 16 weeks onwards (well, not for more than a couple of minutes at a time). I feel the same as you in that it seems surprising that your uterus can already be affecting your lungs when it's not even at your bellybutton yet, but I guess it does. But the main reason for not lying on your back is that the weight of your uterus compresses some main vein or other and can affect blood flow to both you and baby.

This is normal, even though it feels abnormal. As talia says, the weight of your uterus compresses the main vein in your back that returns blood to your heart. This makes you feel breathless and in third tri is associated with a higher risk of still birth. So basically - lie down on your side, not your back.

Oh gosh, I really didn't know this. I basically would get up anytime I felt off at all. Great to know.... O_O I am a side sleeper at least. Just usually unwind by laying on computer, which is usually flat on back, but now I'm laying on my side. ay.. Glad I asked!

Don't worry, you're only 18 weeks. As zephram said it's mostly a danger (to baby) in 3rd trimester. It's more for your comfort and blood pressure at the moment.

Everything gets a bit squished if you lay on your back. Best position is your left side :)

*laying on left side now* Thanks all. I was feeling so anxious and didn't sleep much at all because I kept occasionally ending up laying on my back.

Oh don't worry you can't help that. I'm nearly 20 weeks and still sometimes wake up on my back and don't know how long I've been like that! Not much we can do about that. When your uterus gets really big that won't happen any more because it's too heavy to be comfy.

Don't worry, ending up on your back won't harm baby, it will just make you feel a bit funny. A full body U shaped pillow will help you stay in one place.... Plus they're amaaaazing!

This happens to me too. I thought I was okay to lie on my back until 20 weeks though. I also wake up on my back and have to jump up and walk around to catch my breath.

This happens to me too. I thought I was okay to lie on my back until 20 weeks though. I also wake up on my back and have to jump up and walk around to catch my breath.

Yeah, I'm finding myself being more active around the house to fight that feeling! It feels like it helps a lot to just get up and move around right after, whether sleeping at night or just home relaxing (which is more often because I'm out of job lol)

I’m 23 weeks and still lay on my back. I just roll over when it gets uncomfortable. Your body will tell you if there’s something wrong and when you shouldn’t be on your back anymore.

The past few nights I notice if I'm laying on my back on the laptop or something like that, I end up feeling like I'm not getting enough air. Kind of the sense that one gets in a closed in car or after being underwater for a bit and coming up for air. Is this normal or concerning? I've had to get up and walk around a lot because I feel like I just can't get enough air laying down. My lungs feel like they're not expanding full amount.

Nothing else amiss at least. Weird.

Thoughts? I have appointment a week from tuesday, so can bring up then. Ultrasound this thursday too. I feel the baby wiggle, so that's assuring. Is the baby really already impacting me laying down?

Stick a pillow under your right hip just enough to tilt you off that main vena cava. You feel breathless as blood isn't flowing properly so you're not getting the oxygen around your system that you need !xx I'm the same already too ! It's an absolute pain xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->