anyone suffer from Bacterial Vaginosis?

bird24

Mummy to Sophie
Reaction score
Hey all

my god this is driving me mad as its not the same as thrush you cant just take a tablet and some cream you have to tak antibotics and the smell you have when you get this is very strange....its so annoying this will be the third time in 3 months
does anyone else suffer from it? not sure how to stop getting it as i think its from having too many showers but i shower in the morning and in the evening after the gym which cant be helped.....and it cant be good to take another set of antibotics....driving me insane....maybe i get it from BDing too much

please help if anyone has the same problems.....thanks xx

if you dont know what it is:

What is bacterial vaginosis and what are the symptoms?

Bacterial vaginosis (BV) is a common condition of the vagina caused by an overgrowth of various bacteria (germs). It is not just a simple infection caused by one type of bacterium.

* The main symptom of BV is a vaginal discharge. BV is the most common cause of vaginal discharge in women of childbearing age. The discharge is often a white-grey colour, and often has a fishy smell. The smell may be most noticeable when having sex. The discharge tends to be heaviest just after a period, and after having sex.
* The discharge of BV does not usually cause itch or soreness around the vagina and vulva.
* Many women with BV do not have any symptoms (up to half of cases). These women may be found to have BV by chance when vaginal swabs are taken for other reasons.

Note: BV is not the only cause of a vaginal discharge. Various conditions can cause a discharge. For example, the second most common cause of a discharge is due to thrush which is an infection caused by a yeast called candida. Unlike BV, thrush typically causes a thicker white discharge which tends to cause itch and soreness around the vagina and vulva.

What causes bacterial vaginosis?

BV is not caused by a single bacterium (germ). In BV, an 'overgrowth' of various bacteria occurs in the vagina. It is not clear why this happens. Normally, there are a number of different types of harmless bacteria in the vagina. These bacteria help in the defence against harmful germs (such as candida which causes thrush). In BV, there is a change in the balance of the normal bacteria in the vagina, and certain bacteria multiply and thrive much more than usual. Some bacteria become much more prominent than they normally are.

Doctors describe these changes as " a change in the bacterial flora of the vagina from mainly lactobacillus species to high concentrations of anaerobic bacteria."

BV is not caused by poor hygiene. In fact, excessive washing of the vagina may alter the normal balance of bacteria in the vagina, which may make BV more likely to develop.

I used to have this a lot. I had an IUD which caused it. I got the IUD out and went on the Candida diet and it took care of it. Google Candida diet, it might be worth checking out.

Try adding foods with probiotics to your diet. I would google probiotics and BV and a lot of useful information will come up. Most foods with probiotics will adverese it on the label~ like yogurt and some Kashi cereal. You can also buy probiotics in pill form. I got BV in early pregnancy and found that taking antibiotics killed all bacteria (even good) and does not cause good bacteria to grow back fast~ you have to do so yourself. Probiotics increases the good bacteria on your body. Hope that helps as I know it can be a real pain. I didn't have any symptoms but it made me get preterm contractions so I needed to make sure that it did not come back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->