Anyone suffered from SPD?

Fly

newly knocked up with #2!
Reaction score
In my last pregnancy, five years ago now, I suffered horribly from SPD from around 18 weeks - and was actually on crutches for the last three months of the pregnancy. It was terrible.

Has anyone here suffered this before? Does it put you off wanting to TCC - and are you aware of any tips or excersises I can do to get things lined up and strong before TCC again?

Fly

I haven't had a child yet but I'm really worried I will suffer from this as have problems with my hip/pelvis, but haven't seen a Dr about it. I don't want to see a Dr as I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and am normally symptom free; I worry that he'd just write off my hip pain as being related to this. I know my colleague had a support belt for her trouble though.

My sister had it with her little girl, who's 18 months now. She wasn't at all put off though - we got a call at 9:30 saying she' pregnant again!! I don't know what she did to combat it, but she had a few doctors appointments for it I think. Search google for pre-pregnancy exercises, they probably have loads of pages on SPD exercises. Worth a try I suppose :) xx

What I might do it talk it over with my Doctor - I plan to make a visit in a couple of months to ask him a couple of health related questions and make sure that I'm in good general health and ready to TCC. I have a feeling that because SPD is about your ligaments loosening, it is better to do less excersise and stretching because that makes the problem worse... hate the idea of being laid up for six months again though....

I had it too, 7 years ago with my last pregnancy and yes it does worry me a bit.
I had to go off on sick leave from 20 weeks and had to wear a tight corset type belt all day, couldn't drive, walk up stairs, step in'out of the bath; ooh just the thought of it again really scares me but...

I really want another baby and a bit like the actual labour pains, i have put it all to the back of my mind and am hoping not to suffer too badly. fx'd for both of us.
I imagine a physiotherapist would give good advice re: do's and dont's or strategies to try and reduce symptoms prior to conceiving, but it's something I haven't looked into myself yet personally.

Let me know if you get any good advice and i'll do the same.

good luck xx

https://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/antenatalhealth/physicalhealth/pelvicpain/

It stands for syphis pubis dysfunction - where the pregnancy hormones that are supposed to relax the ligaments holding your pelvis together work a bit too well - means your pelvis comes apart a bit. The symptoms can vary from general pain, to being wheelchair bound - and everything in between. For me, it kicked in at about 18 weeks and I was on crutches with a support band around my pelvis holding everything together. I knew another woman who was in a wheelchair for six months. It's hormonal, so even after pregnancy you can still get pain and hampered mobility at certain times of the month.

OMG! I'd never heard of that, It sounds terrible!

It was terrible - and my case wasn't as severe as many women get. And I am still having another, as soon as OH gives the green light!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->