Anyone use chiropractors?

Lousie598

Reaction score
Two weeks ago I put my back out at work - thankfully it was a bankholiday weekend so I recovered it enough to return to work. Last week at work I stupidly agreed to lug some boxes around which really hurt and then on Saturday morning I bent to pick up my bag and my back went completely! It was so bad I could not move! After two days of bed rest (couldn't do anything more!) I went to my doctor on monday who had zero sympathy and said just get on with it.

On my journey home from the doctors I passed a back clinic and out of curiosity asked if they had an appointment available. They did so I went back later in the day and had a complete check up of my back (my GP hadn't even bothered to look at my back). Today I went in to hear her conclusions and to have my first adjustment. The adjustment was wonderful. (Just so very scary when someone is tugging at your neck!) I have not been able to sit in a chair since Saturday yet as soon as I got home I can sit down again - vital to returning to my desk job!

Anyway what is worrying me is the time scale and number of treatments quoted. She is saying that I will be needing two treatments a week for the next few months and then drop it to 1 session a month. For the first few months that will cost £720 based on two a week!!! All my money at the moment is being funneled into a 'give me a year maternity leave please' fund and that £720 would pay for two and a half months of maternity leave. I am a cynical person and I know the chiropractor is a business not the nhs. Many years ago my mum used a chiropractor, three sessions and she was sorted and has never had back issues since.

Basically for those of you who have used chiropractors (just for back sprain/injury like mine caused by lifting - not a proper back illness) How many treatments did you need? Just one has made such a difference but I am wondering how many are really necessary? Thanks!

I'm a big chiro fan. I don't like that they have put you on a schedule. My chiro sees me and then tells me when i need to come back based on how i am (i'm 27 weeks pregnant at the moment). I think it is common that after an injury you will be adjusted and then they will want to see you again quite soon so that the adjustment doesn't come "undone". It can take a couple of goes to get things to stay as they should but then they will usually start stretching out the time in between appointments. Being told 2 a week for several months sound a bit like a money spinner to me (though i'm no expert). Maybe you could try a different chiro and see what they say??

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->