Anyone VBAC or repeat section?

Eternal

Three boys!
Reaction score
I know it's early to think about yet, but anyone else?

I like to go to my appointments caused up, and MW already has a massive list of "possible complications" for my consultant, really don't know what's best.

I'm going for my second VBAC. I was considering a home birth and declined consultant care in my last pregnancy (the misc one), but I had a PPH with DS and a big bleed with the miscarriage so now I'm planning on seeing the consultant at 20 weeks and talking about risks of another PPH before deciding on location. If it was just the VBAC I had to worry about I'd be at home with a pool and a lot of gas and air.

Did you have C-Section with just your twins or was your older boy a section baby as well?

I have had 2 successful vbacs and will be going for a 3rd...

I'm going for my second VBAC. I was considering a home birth and declined consultant care in my last pregnancy (the misc one), but I had a PPH with DS and a big bleed with the miscarriage so now I'm planning on seeing the consultant at 20 weeks and talking about risks of another PPH before deciding on location. If it was just the VBAC I had to worry about I'd be at home with a pool and a lot of gas and air.

Did you have C-Section with just your twins or was your older boy a section baby as well?

Natural with my eldest, section with the twins only because they were both breech, but one of them contracted strep b and the other had a rare cord issei called valamentous incision, which doesn't sound like it runs in families but scared as it wasn't picked up before hand. Part of me feels it's safer for the baby to just have section, it's weird because I cried and cried when I was told section for the twins and never thought I would consider another electively. I'm just unsure.

I had natural birth with my 1st, and C-section with my 2nd because last minute she flipped breech. Due to her position I got a 'vertical csection' on my uterus, and for that reason I'm at a GREATER risk of uterine rupture, which means I'm not allowed to attempt a VBAC. Which makes me so disappointed!
If I were you, I wouldn't be fearful of a VBAC... A good informative documentary is 'the business of being born'....and if you don't like that, than check out Ina May's information on birth and VBAC's. She is a midwife, and has been since the early 70's...she knows her stuff. Good information.

I had natural birth with my 1st, and C-section with my 2nd because last minute she flipped breech. Due to her position I got a 'vertical csection' on my uterus, and for that reason I'm at a GREATER risk of uterine rupture, which means I'm not allowed to attempt a VBAC. Which makes me so disappointed!
If I were you, I wouldn't be fearful of a VBAC... A good informative documentary is 'the business of being born'....and if you don't like that, than check out Ina May's information on birth and VBAC's. She is a midwife, and has been since the early 70's...she knows her stuff. Good information.

I'm totally not fearful of giving birth, I've had a natural birth with my first, I was just told after the twins if I had laboured both may have died for different reasons, as it was the one with strep b stopped breathing and went floppy and was taken away for resussation. That's my fear, my first also had to have a rescue breath after myconium in his waters.

If I knew everything would be ok I would insist on a home water birth, that's my ideal, but I'd do anything to have a healthy outcome, I hated my twins getting Cannula after cannula for anti biotics just days old.

I can understand your fear completely...I had major issues with the birth of my son, and both him and I are lucky to still be here. However in our particular case, and a lot of women(not regarding your situation), I believe that part of the issues were from the medications the doctors had us on, epidural, pitocin, treatment for group B strep etc etc etc. Too many interventions can cause major issues. Now in your case with twins, its a whole other situation...and is quite different than a singleton pregnancy and birth. There are greater risks with twins. So my point in saying all of this is, if you are pregnant with one baby this go around, I would suggest a midwife. Its a huge regret of mine with not knowing all this information before hand. And in my situation, I ended up with a vertical c-section based on a doctor not having the patience to wait things out. But you also need to do what you are comfortable with. You certainly don't need to have a home birth in order to have a midwife. Majority of midwives will do the birth at a local hopital, so if anything DOES happen a doctor is standing by in the event of an emergency. (Thankfully for me I am having a midwife with this pregnancy, even though I will still be having a csection). You might want to think about speaking with a midwife and getting their viewpoints on your birthing history etc. Will help you make a decision. Hands down a VBAC is much healthier for you and baby, unless of course there is an emergency.

I can't have MW led care here due to past complications and the c section and I should be hospital only birth, continuous monitoring etc, obviously it's my body and I can say no, but given my past history (even my singletons having some complications) it's certainly the safest option. I do still see a MW but care will be shared between her and the doctor and deliver will have to be in a hospital not a MW led unit or home.

All MWs I have seen say it's up to the doctor and me to decide, if I choose VBAC it will be in a hospital and monitored closely, but have also said due to past issues they may suggest section, the strep b seems to be a bigger issue if your child actually contracted it to if you have just carried it here.

I'm in the UK, so it's probably quite different and I know different areas and more pro and con VBAC, this area is very pro VBAC.

My area is also very pro VBAC which is good for me as that's what I want, but my previous section was a lot more straightforward than yours.

I don't have any advice, there is a case for both and I think only you can know what you want. I hope you get the support you need and an uncomplicated birth whatever your decision x

I'm still waiting to see my OB so I don't know how pro-VBAC she is. To be honest, I'm afraid of a VBAC. My son was in fetal distress from the moment I was admitted to the hospital so interventions had nothing to do with my section. I just get the feeling my body doesn't know how to be pregnant or how to labour (my contractions never regulated...nothing about it was by the book). I don't want to have to go through all that again only to end up with an emergency section. A planned one would be more relaxed. But we'll see. I'm not emotionally attached to any form of birth. My only birth plan is "have a living baby that I get to take home with me".

And I saw "The Business of Being Born". I found it to be emotionally manipulative and filled with conspiracy theories. The hyperbole used by some of the 'experts' was insulting too. When talking about the hormone surge that comes with a natural birth and helps a mom bond but doesn't come from a section, the 'expert' then said, what will the world be like without love? Um, moms who have a section still love their babies. :growlmad: I bonded just fine, thanks.

My contractions were all over the place as well - spurious labour for many days. But I'm hoping my body will have learned how to do it now!

I would like to experience a vaginal birth if I can - I can't explain why but I do have that emotional attachment you mentioned Starry Night. :shrug:

But if it isn't to be then I'm ok with a section - I completely agree that it doesn't affect the bonding whatsoever!!

I don't think its the C-Section that effects bonding, but I think a traumatic labour can effect bonding and more traumatic labour's end in C-section. Bonding is a very complex issue and so much more than a hormonal surge during labour and delivery.

That said I felt AMAZING after my VBAC. It felt like the most amazing thing I'd ever done. I was very empowered and uplifted, so much so that I felt great even with a Hb of 7 (ie very anaemic). And that was with a forceps VBAC.

Yeah I didn't feel any more or less bonded with any of my children in either type of birth, I did feel amazing like Celesse said after my natural, it was a flip I did it, and the adrenaline etc was amazing, didn't get that with the section but as for bonding it didn't affect it at all.

I really am not sure what I want, my downstairs was and is really messed up from my natural and although I wasn't in as much pain, both recoveries we not much different, I ripped my stitches open after my natural and I have a massive issue with stitches argh.

My natural also had more respiratory issues and my section babies didn't have any.

I KNOW it's not the norm, and I imagine this labour would be easier than my first as he was back to back, i would obviously prefer natural, my section was less than 2 years ago so I still remember the pain and popping pills to be functional, hubby will be back at work and I'll be doing the school run, ideally I'd prefer natural rather than recovering from major surgery, but I just don't know, I keep swaying both ways.

From what I remember of the pain the C-Section pain was a lot worse, but ti was far easier to positition yourself in a comfy way to ease the pain than from the vaginal delivery. EG you can hold your C-Section wound, but you can't exactly go around holding your foof unless your at home.

From what I remember of the pain the C-Section pain was a lot worse, but ti was far easier to positition yourself in a comfy way to ease the pain than from the vaginal delivery. EG you can hold your C-Section wound, but you can't exactly go around holding your foof unless your at home.

Haha so true lol. And the pain of peeing isn't an issue lol.

I've hot ages to decide and sounds like they are pro VBAC anyway here so I may not get an option anyway, I'd like to experience birth one more time, but that this big BUT that keeps popping in my head, lol.

I'm still waiting to see my OB so I don't know how pro-VBAC she is. To be honest, I'm afraid of a VBAC. My son was in fetal distress from the moment I was admitted to the hospital so interventions had nothing to do with my section. I just get the feeling my body doesn't know how to be pregnant or how to labour (my contractions never regulated...nothing about it was by the book). I don't want to have to go through all that again only to end up with an emergency section. A planned one would be more relaxed. But we'll see. I'm not emotionally attached to any form of birth. My only birth plan is "have a living baby that I get to take home with me".

And I saw "The Business of Being Born". I found it to be emotionally manipulative and filled with conspiracy theories. The hyperbole used by some of the 'experts' was insulting too. When talking about the hormone surge that comes with a natural birth and helps a mom bond but doesn't come from a section, the 'expert' then said, what will the world be like without love? Um, moms who have a section still love their babies. :growlmad: I bonded just fine, thanks.

I totally 100% agree with you with regards to csection mommy's still love their babies. I think with ANYTHING in life you have to take portions of it with a grain of salt.
There are portions of the documentary that I totally agree with, and portions that I don't. I don't think it was manipulative (but again my personal opinion). One thing that I was informed of was that moms who have had C-sections would have a harder time breastfeeding...mmm...NO...not in my case with my daughter. I breastfed her exclusively for 14 months... no issues. So like I said not everything rings true, because each mom, pregnancy and baby are different. You have to do what is comfortable for you. I just know in MY situations with both my births...that if it weren't for the doctors interventions I wouldn't have had such issues. My son being pulled out by forceps, and my complications (both times) with epidurals...
In Canada here...you can either choose a doctor or midwife for care. You can't have both. However if an issue pops up like GD or Cholestasis etc...than you will be referred to a OB/GYN right away for the rest of prenatal and postnatal care.
And you can choose to have your baby at home or in the hospital.

I will be going for a second c-section. First one was my own decision and I feel it will be safer this time as well. My DD was born with complications and I am scared something will happen this time again.

I will be going for a second c-section. First one was my own decision and I feel it will be safer this time as well. My DD was born with complications and I am scared something will happen this time again.

That's how I feel, someone on another thread was talking about valenateous incision and said I should insist on c section because of the huge risks if they miss it again. I just don't know, it could all be smooth with perfect delivery but something tells me section, I would love natural but every time I try to think about it someone tells me section. Which is guess is why I'm so confused, I'm not worried about pain of labour, in fact it's quite exciting in a weird way, much nicer than sitting waiting to be called for surgery, but I'm just uneasy. Perhaps time will help.

Not that I mean time will help you, you are clearly decided and happy, just wish I could have that comfort, knowing which decision to make.

I had an emcsec with my first as it was a prem twin delivery at 31 weeks. I was allowed to labour naturally but they were a little tangled and one lying transverse so ended with a csec. Both babies were very poorly and we lost one after 2 days. I think it was probably the horrific experience that made me choose vbac second time. Dd2 was forceps as she was showing signs of distress and i had meconium in the waters... Tbh recovery felt worse than csec. But with ds i again opted for a vbac, despite a swab before i was pg picking up a strep b infection. I had a straight forward birth (albeit very long) again meconium in waters, but it took 3 push for ds to come out and no stitches. Due to strep b and meconium ds had to be observed for 24 hours but then we were home and fine... I had a supportive consultant and midwives were great... You have lots of time to decide and also to change your mind! Good luck with whatever you choose... x

I had an emcsec with my first as it was a prem twin delivery at 31 weeks. I was allowed to labour naturally but they were a little tangled and one lying transverse so ended with a csec. Both babies were very poorly and we lost one after 2 days. I think it was probably the horrific experience that made me choose vbac second time. Dd2 was forceps as she was showing signs of distress and i had meconium in the waters... Tbh recovery felt worse than csec. But with ds i again opted for a vbac, despite a swab before i was pg picking up a strep b infection. I had a straight forward birth (albeit very long) again meconium in waters, but it took 3 push for ds to come out and no stitches. Due to strep b and meconium ds had to be observed for 24 hours but then we were home and fine... I had a supportive consultant and midwives were great... You have lots of time to decide and also to change your mind! Good luck with whatever you choose... x

Thank you, I am so so sorry for your loss x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->