Anyone Vegetarian/Vegan/etc?

The tofu still has that spongey-ness but I don't think it's as spongey as the marinated pieces (if it's the ones I'm thinking of) :D I just press it for a good 20 minutes.

I made curry with tofu today. Was rather good if I do say so myself :haha:

My son isn't vegan but I mostly cook vegan meals at home so he does get a good mix. Having a fussy time at the moment so like you I'm not sure I want to restrict things. I want him eating something.

I'm a vegetarian, and because I have a fair few allergies, I find it really hard to eat out anywhere. Anyone else have this problem?

Also, Bethan is veggie too, and there don't seem to be many places that have a veggie kids option; really winds me up!

EDIT

I loooove marinated tofu! Ommononom...

Pretty much vegetarian here! I really try not to eat meat but feel bad if I'm a guest somewhere making special requests.

Love animals but my reasons are basically that I don't like it and wish to avoid some of the health implications that eating loads of meat on an everyday basis can have :flower:

I also have a nut allergy to work around but luckily peanuts are safe! Just the tree nuts I need to avoid. Love tofu, beans...

I don't really eat fish or seafood- shrimp, eggs, dairy products on occasion. I would like to become a vegan eventually but as I said, it's mainly down to me being extremely picky and I do like to eat shrimp pad thai or eggs benedict when I go out for a meal :shy: Don't really have a hard time finding veg/vegan options though..

Also trying to find a good alternative to dairy milk? For drinking (rather than cooking)

I really don't like it much anyway (drink maybe 1 glass skim in 2 weeks-1 month) but I recently had a really harsh injury (snapped my radius, dislocated wrist, broke teeth in a car accident) so would like to get a fortified milk substitute going. My issues with milk are mainly the idea it comes from a cow's udder and the things that go along with that (trying not to say anything gross).

Almond milk is out due to my allergy.

3 year old has tested soy and that went okay; she's tested rice milk and hated it, and I just bought chocolate coconut milk... she didn't drink much but could have not been in the mood for it- no complaints from her on it.

vegetarian of over 2 years here. definitely one of my best decisions, couldnt have it any other way. in my case it was just out of feeling guilty, ethics and morals played a big part. i think everyone should watch earthlings and im sure many would change their mind about the meat industry.

Hi. I've been veggie for 13 years, give or take a few slip-ups. My hubby has been veggie his whole life. I love salads and soups. Love Soup is a great book. Even though its not the healthiest, I love fried tofu. I am an avid baker, too, and have learned to veganize without recipes.
Tasha, have you tried Hemp milk? I haven't yet, but I've heard its good. Its too bad about the almond milk, thats my fave. Soy is second best. Not really a fan of rice milk.

I was a vegetarian from age 12 to 20 when I started experimenting (lol) with meat but even then I ate it rarely and never at home, I'm veggie again now and don't eat dairy products. I'm not vegan though because I eat fish, I will eventually give fish up but I want to wait until I am sure that the rest of my diet is good enough to remove it :) I stopped eating meat because I didn't like it, started because I was living in spain and turning down food constantly was really rude and I've stopped again both because I don't like the taste/texture and because I don't want to eat or use animal products :nope: kind of wish I didn't get so much nutritional goodness from fish so I could just bite the bullet and be full vegan! all my toiletries, make up and cleaning products are vegan, it's just the fish letting me down :haha:

t-bex, I don't really have trouble eating out but we usually go to vegan restaurants, I don't know what it's like where you live but in glasgow there are quite a lot :) in normal restaurants it's really difficult/boring though :(

tasha, the plain coconut milk is our fave..have you tried it? :)

Ovo-Lacto Veg since 1989 :)
My favorite cookbook is The Spice Box vegetarian Indian Cooking. YUM YUM! Favorite website is Manjula's Kitchen.

My OH and I are vegan, mainly for ethical reasons, partly because we have sensitivities or intolerances to lactose/milk protein and eggs and really it isn't good for our health to eat these much as we love them. Unfortunately I also have a soya allergy, even soyabean oil brings me out in hives, which makes eating vegan difficult as a lot of the food and ingredients aimed at vegans are soya based, I can occasionally tolerate very small amounts of soya in seasonings and sauces but anything more can make me quite ill so its a bit of a challenge to get enough protein from other sources. Thankfully living in London I am finding a few food shops that sell wheat based alternatives to soya protein based foods and I have found some online too. We aren't bringing the kids up as vegan at the moment, we're not even strict on them being veggie as we believe its their own choice but naturally when we cook for the family we're going to make something everyone can eat xx

Ovo Lacto since 1989 :)

EDIT~ Whoops ! I just realized I already posted in this thread. I thought it was new when I got the notification. Lol. My bad.

summer rain, I'm also soya intolerant and it is such a pain! luckily it's not too bad for me though, it just gives me an upset stomach and sinus trouble. sometimes it's worse than other times though so I do try to avoid it! have you tried vegusto products? :)

A lot of companys and website will give out a starter kit and a detailed menu planner to facilitate the process, definitely useful!

what is lacto ovo?
I'm a veggie who is sloooowly going vegan :) my aim is to be completely vegan by 2014. I have been enjoying vegan baking these last couple of weeks. Made 24 cupcakes to take into my daughters nursery on her last day and they were very surprised to hear they contained no eggs or milk! :D

^^^^^ lacto - eats milk - ovo eats egg, so a vegetarian that only doesn't eat meat.

I'm vegan, I had been trying to fully switch to it for a while but I finally made the plunge because the reasons for doing it outweigh the negatives of what people might think of me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->