Anyone Vegetarian/Vegan/etc?

OnErth&InHvn

Mom to 4
Reaction score
Anyone else vegetarian or anything? I didnt see another thread discussing this. Sorry if there is. :blush:

I have been a meat eater all my life, but i decided to try semi vegetarian last year and i liked it, but stopped. I think because I didnt really understand why i did it and what i was doing. Then I watched the Oprah episode where she shows them killing the cow and then (people from UK may know this show) I watched Kill It, Cook it, Eat It and oh my word- totally changed my outlook! I do eat chicken, eggs, diary, but other than that- no meat. It was hard at first, not wanting that burger...but now its just gross when i look at it and i have stopped thinking "well its only part of a cow, one little cow" and thinking "that poor cow was shot in the head, sliced, skinned, etc and turned into this...yuck!"

(PLEASE dont let this get heated, im not debating anything! Im just looking to chit chat with other veggie eaters!!)

Hiya, I am vegetarian, as is my husband and all our kids. I decided to be a vegetarian when I was a teenager and am in my 40s now. I have never slipped up, because I don't see food when I see meat. I also don't drink milk, or eat eggs, but I am not quite Vegan. How great that you've decided to give it another go :)

Do you know any really good cookbooks?

Dh isnt totally sold on being vegetarian. Id convert him if i could though.

I am a vegetarian since my birth :) ...My husband, since 10 years

I'm vegetarian, started when I was 13, been almost 7 years now :)

Hey, I've been veggie since I was 11 and I'm 20 now. I was even vegan for a couple of years, but stopped when I was pregnant. My LO is also vegetarian.

I'm a vegetarian of 11 years, vegan the last 4. My husband has been semi-vegetarian for years and vegan since we've been together. I can't wait for our little vegan baby! His kids can be a struggle when they visit as they're used to McDonald's, yogurt, etc.

My favorite cookbooks are by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. I think her recipes are always tasty and don't require anything really crazy.

I'm not vegetarian, but I just looked up some of the Moskowitz cookbooks on Amazon, and they look awesome! Might have to order one!

I'm not vegetarian, but I just looked up some of the Moskowitz cookbooks on Amazon, and they look awesome! Might have to order one!

Pretty much every vegan cookbook has a dessert section, but I rely pretty exclusively on Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World and Vegan Cookies Take Over Your Cookie Jar. Soooo good!

My step-daughter was telling me about how her mommy has to use eggs to make chocolate chip cookies, so I told her I don't have to use eggs. She said she didn't want to eat any of my cookies, so I think I might just have to make some ;)

My cousin had a vegan cake at her wedding, and it was awesome! I have to admit I was a little skeptical at first, though. I am mostly interested in the entrees in the Moskowitz books, but maybe I'll give some desserts a try, too. =)

No, I am not, but I very much prefer vegan and vegetarian cooking.

Most people who aren't sold on veggie diets are ones that haven't been exposed to amazing veggie foods. Could you perhaps persuade him to an Indian restaurant? If not, time to get cracking at home. "How it all Vegan" is a great place to start.

When trying to convert a diehard meat lover, the trick is to not use recipes with overtly vegan substitutes (ie. seitan) and base the dish on that. Let the vegetables speak for themselves, make use of tons of fresh herbs/proper grains.

I prefer Japanese, Chinese, and Korean cooking above all else, it's very easy to make vegan (dairy is rarely used in Asian cultures), of course you just need to keep an eye out for any fish stock/dashi, and eggs if vegan as well.

I know you don't want to debate but of course eating chicken is certainly not vegetarian. If you are converting for ethical reasons then I really suggest getting tons of fabulous vegan cookbooks (or vegetarian if you want to go that far). How to Cook Everything Vegetarian by Bittman is a "bible" of veggie cooking (it's more than recipes, it's about how to actually cook too).
Good luck!

Hey,

I've been a vegetarian for about a 1.5 years. Me and my husband both decided to try it as he's a "philosopher" and thinks about the causes of everything. I'm so glad we did it, I eat so much more healthier now and I get more protein now than I ever did as a meat eater. The best book I've got is "Linda McCartney on Tour" really great recipes with normal ingredients. I found a lot of books contain things i've never heard of or can't get my hands on but hers is simple and tasty! I'd love to be a vegan, maybe one day!

I am proud to say I have pretty much stayed semi veggie since starting this post. :thumbup:

I do eat chicken, but not as often as I was. Now I dont even think about meat or anything i use to, just 'whats for lunch/din'? DH is a little more on board now, which is good.

I checked out several good books at the library and one i have right now is College Vegetarian Cooking. We tried their Chili Recipe and it was TDF!! I didnt use the Textured Vegetable Protein, but i did use the Boca Crumbles. YUM!

I am not veggie yet but my OH is and he would like our little boy to be so I imagine I will end up veggie for convenience. One of my favourite recipes is Delia Smiths Asparagus Cannelloni.

Oh and xBooChanx pretty please can I have the ratties in your avatar?! They are too cute!

Ive been a vegie for about 8 years now :D I just was looking in the feilds one day at the sheep and i thought the numbers on their bck was stating when they go 2 get slautered (i know this is not the case now though! lol) and i started crying, that was it, vegie ever since! :) no one else i know is though, and im going 2 give lo the choice - will offer him both meat and quorn and hope he prefers quorn!!! lol

Hey my girlfriends a veggie and her birthdays coming up soon and i would like to suprise her with a nice 3course meal. But dont want to cook the usual things, any sugestions?

Depends what she likes, i like fatty foods haha. Garlic battered mushrooms with dip & salad, i have no idea what main course or pudd though! sorry :)

Vegan cooking is awesome :flow: love Isa Chandra books. I like skinny bitch in the kitch because it seems to be really easy recipes xx

My husband and I are both ethical vegetarians. We are seriously considering going vegan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->