Anyone who got married/is gettin married in Cuba?

Doodlebug.

New wife & mum
Reaction score
I'm trying to convince my OH to get married in Cuba as I really cant be bothered with a whole big family white wedding.

Where did you stay? get married?
Was there much to see and do?
Who did you book through?
Did family come with you or was it just the two of you?

Sorry for so many questions :flower:

I'm getting married in Mexico next spring. I'll be interested to hear how you plans go if you're thinking about the Caribbean too. :)

I'm definitely interested in this post :) Me and hubby haven't got married for 10 years because I'm just not hte big white wedding kind of girl :p Any info/stories/tips much appreciated xx

Hi ladies.

I got married last year in the Dominican Republic. It was the best decision I ever made.

We took 39 of our family and friends with us for the 2 weeks we were there.

It took some organising but it was beautiful and everyone enjoyed it that much that we're going back again in 2 years time for a re-union.

I would definitly recommend it.

Let me know if you need any details etc....i did so much research on how to get everything sorted. Though it may be different in different countries.....eg....I know if you get married in mexico you have to have a blood test to prove you're not related! lol.

N xx

What mainly worried me about getting married abroad are the stories you hear when it turns out the marriage isn't legal. How hard was it to sort out the paperwork?

Is it easy to understand the difference between the right/wrong way to do things? Did you feel comfortable that everything was above board during the stress or organising? xx

The paperwork for it can be slighly confusing but once you get your head around what is needed it is simple. For the Dominican we had to have:

(1) A Statutory Declaration each - This is just basically a statement to say who you are, who your parents are & occupations, your passport number and stating that you are single and eligable to marry. We got this done at a local solicitors...typed it out myself at home...printed it and took it to the solicitors for them to endorse. They charged me £10 for both.

(2) Full Birth Certificate - My DH had to have a new one done as his was only a 1/2 one. I think it was about £6 from the town hall.

I then sent these 4 documents to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office to be legalised. I think it is about £30 per document.

Then when these came back they had to be certified and translated into spanish by the Dominican embassy at £155 per document......quite pricey!!!

Then that was all we needed!

We just took all these with us (with copies just incase) and your passport.

The marriage certificate was in spanish and so when we came back we had to pay to have this certified and translated back into english. I had this done by another online company who accepted a scanned copy of the original certificate. This was cheaper than using the dominican embassy.

I think you can also register it then at your local town hall etc.

So overall it did cost around £1000 for the documents to be done.

Also, be aware that if you have been married before or changed your name, you need to have these documents done too so it can be really expensive.

N xx

I suppose it was a little stressful organising it. However, I did have the bonus that my mum and dad had already been to the resort we chose before and so we knew everything would be fine.

The most stress believe it or not was organising the rooms for so many people coming with us!! What a nightmare...lol...families!

It was all worth it in the end.

I had email contact with the wedding planner beforehand so we could reserve the date and location of the wedding and she also sent me details of food for the day etc.

However, other than paying a deposit to secure the date, everything else was sorted once we met the wedding planner 2 days into the holiday. 1 hour later it was all done!! We married on day 6.

N xx

Did you book through travel agent? Did they help you with the paperwork?

:flower:I hear Cuba is beautiful, if you go post pictures as I will never ever be able to travel there!

Congrats

Did you book through travel agent? Did they help you with the paperwork?

Yes we booked through a travel agent. Got a really big discount too cause there was so many of us going.

They didn't help with any of the wedding planning though. That was done direct with the hotel.

N xx

Not Cuba, but we got married in Jamaica in 2008 at Couples Negril.

It was fab and as the hotel have a wedding co-ordinator, they did everything for us. I can't remember exactly what documents we needed now, but it wasn't much at all and we didn't have to do anything ourselves really except choose flowers/cakes/photographer etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->