Anyone with 5 yr old boys

emmamc28

mum to charlotte and ben
Reaction score
We have been trying (unsuccessfully) to get my 5 year old son to get dry during the night we have tried everything we can think of but with no success. He is a very deep sleeper and even if we wake him he refuses to go for a wee. He is in underjams at the minute but he is weeing so much even these are leaking. We have tried cutting down drinks after tea gOing for a wee before bed getting him up in the nite but still he is really wet in the mornin. Anyone who has had any success or advice would be really appreciated . He wants to do it just can't seem to wake himself in the night??

We have similar here but with a girl. Isobel is 4 and a half and is a deep sleeper and like a zombie when I get her up. I have to take her to the toilet twice in the night or she will wee the bed. Weve cut out drinks after tea and she goes before she gets into bed but will NOT get herself up and go. Xander was the opposite and was dry in a week and goes on his own now no problem (hes 6)
Dont know what to suggest really, its hard work :(

No advice from me either unfortunately, but just wanted to say you are not alone my son is 5 now and we are struggling to get him dry in night too. he wears those pyjama pant things for 4-7 year olds and its soaked in morning. Its sooo hard isnt it. Wish i had advice but struggling myself on what to do now.

Im sorry girls you have such hard times.
Potty training boys is hard, as they are built differently than girls. I have 6 boysa nd potty trained 4 of them. I havent had the issues you all have had BUT my parents did for my brother. He refused to go potty in the middle of the night, he wasnt potty trained till 6. Something just clicked. He would go during the day just fine, and up until bed and more..it was confusing. I remember my parents just placing him on the floor to sleep cus hes that wet. Was awful, but they will outgrow it. You could get some tests done if your that concerned. If you have done everything, and you certainly have, there really isnt much else you can do but wait it out. Sorry :hugs:

You might need to wake him up more than once during the night...my daughter sleeps hard and used to wet the bed...i would have to almost carry her to the bathroom and keep her in there until she finally went.

Maybe he's just not ready?
My son was wet everynight and we were all stressed out trying to force him to be dry.
We became more laid back about it. And he literally went from wetting the bed every night one week, to wetting it 2 nights the next week and staying dry the next. It was just like a switch went off and he figured it out. This was around 4 1/2. He's only wet the bed once or twice in the last year and a half. (Now he "wakes up" and sleep walks and pees in the hallway sometimes).

A few things we did try, not sure how much it helped...
Limiting his fluids 2hrs before bedtime.
Waking him up one time 2-3hrs after he went to bed (when we were heading to bed).
Letting him pick an item from a prize box each morning he was dry ($1 toys - usually matchbox cars).

Also, we took him out of his pullups at 4ish and let him wet the bed. (We tried this when he was younger and he would still sleep through it so we put him back in pullups). I was changing his sheets at 2 am every night for a while. But he was waking me up and telling me to.

For these frequent sheet changes I'd actually have 2 fresh sheets on the bed so that when he wet one I could pull it off and the bed was already ready to go.
(mattress > mattress pad > plastic sheet > fitted sheet > sheet > plastic sheet > fitted sheet > sheet). I just had to wip off the top sheets and the top plastic sheet and there was a fresh one already there. Job done.

I agree with PP. He is most likely not ready. And it really does not have to do with PTing. Some children just have very small bladders, and the inability to wake themselves at night. I would do what makes him comfortable, and soon he will most likely outgrow this. If not I would call the doctor. I know even seeing a chiro has shown great success in helping with this. GL!!

my DS is 5 and is dry at night but my DD is almost 4 and wets her nappy every night. i am trying not to worry too much and hope she'll be dry soon!

Thanks everyone it is nice to know we are not the only ones goin thru this and thankyou all for your advice xx

My son is 7 and only just starting to get dry nights. We didnt make a big deal of it as we didnt want him to be paranoid or that it was something naughty, but we did talk to him so we knew how he felt. Until a year ago, we quickly lifted him out bed at midnight, took him to the bathroom and told him to "have a try" and then back to bed. This helped him to feel more confident and he has gradually started waking himself at around midnight for a quick tinkle, then back to snooze.

He'll do it when he's ready hun :hugs: xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->