Anyone with kids with severe Dyslexia?

M

mandaxx

My little girl is 6 and is in the middle of getting diagnosed with Dyslexia. It's very obvious she has it, but here in Northern Ireland it takes forever for a diagnosis. Anyone had one yet that could give me a little advice? The school give me mountains of extra work for her which i think is really unfair on her.

I was diagnosed with Dyslexia when I was a child. I remember having to go to a special school after normal school one day a week, basically helping me remember how to spell. I unfortunately was misdiagnosed and instead have aspergers, but my English still isn't great. Some tips I can suggest is getting a wooden alphabet so she can reconise the alphabet and try drawing the letters on her back. Try getting a wipe board of joined up letters. Also rhymes like together is spelt to get her all joined up or miss D miss I miss FFI miss C miss U miss LTY for difficulty may help.

As for reading words you can try doing what we're doing with my son, however he is autistic so not sure if it would be the same. We have pictures and words of things. He has to say the word and match the picture to the object. We've only been doing it for a week and he can read his first word at the age of 5!

As for reading try Dyslexia: A parents' guide to dyslexia, dyspraxia and other learning difficulties by Muter and Likiemen. I have not read it myself but a friend who is a teacher often recommends this book to her parents who have children with dyslexia.

Good luck :)

Thank you very much for your help I will definitely try those things. Really appreciate it. Wish you all the luck with your Aspergers and with your little son xoxox

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->