Anyone with Kittens/cats?

Louby

Reaction score
Hi girls

I got a seven week old female kitten on monday

ive put food out (kitten dry food and pouch food) and she wont touch it

she has a bowl of kitten milk which she drinks and a bowl of water that she has a bit of now and again

we gave her a bit of chicken and she ate it..but obviously she needs to eat her kitten food to get the nutrients etc

any advice on what to do? xx

:flower:

it might be because she has the milk which they tend to lean towards if its offered over dry/wet food, maybe try taking the milk away for awhile and see if she eats the food. Another thing you could try is make the dry food damp with a little bit of the milk so its easier to chew.

Have you tried a different brand of cat food hun?I know my cats are really fussy with what they will eat.And different textures - like in gravy or in jelly?
My 2 wont touch normal felix food but absolutely love the 'as good as it looks' selection.
Maybe she is still settling in and finding her feet,the milk is a good idea but I would just put a saucer of it out every now and again so that shes not just relying on that and make sure plenty of water is avaliable.Is her food somewhere quiet and out of the way (like so she feels secure?) x

I too have a fussy cat...just try experimenting with different types of food (Sarah is very right about the different textures thing, that seems to count with mine!) and see how you go. Just get small amounts so you aren't spending too much money, and try different brands.

I hope you have some luck soon xx Perhaps see what she was being fed at the petstore, if that's where you got her from, and try that.

yeh same advice try experiment with different foods.... although when the cat is hungry it will have to eat

7 weeks is still pretty young, where did you get her? If from a person or organization did they tell you what food she was eating before? Maybe she's not used to eating dry food yet? One of my cats had to be weaned onto dry food (mixing the wet he was used to eating with the dry and gradually decreasing it until he was on all dry). And like the others said I'd experiment with different types of food and textures etc.

Has she managed to eat anything today? :hugs:

I'd definitely speak to who you got her from to see what they were feeding her, maybe mix some cat treats into her food (not too many obviously) or bits of small bits of chicken or something:flower:

thanks for all ur advice girls

i gave her cod flavour whiskers today and she scoffed it down..im made up.xxx

well done hun! glad to hear she's eating well now :flower:

Aww bless her! Mine have just eaten that too......it smells awful :rofl:

7 Weeks is extremely young. Most Breeders will advise you on what the kitten has been eating before hand. Her little teeth are probably still developing enough to try to eat dry food. I'm glad she's eating though.

Glad to hear she has eatten something now :) x

Are you certain she had been weaned properly before you got her? Was she from a rescue centre or a private owner? I would recommend ringing your local vet for advice but if advice wasn't available and I thought she hadn't been weaned, I'd give her kitten milk (not some crappy whiskas carton which won't contain the nutrients but proper powdered formula) if you can't find (or afford its expensive) kitten milk, an alternative is to give her human newborn formula but made up double strength as normal strength doesn't contain enough fat, and give her that, keep trying her with the kitten food, maybe try mixing the milk with the food too. If she's hungry she should eat it. I'm so jealous, I'd love a kitten right now! Good luck.

Awww bless her our kitten was like that too!

We were told just to leave her a few days as she needed to get used to our house, sure enough after a few days she started eating :) :thumbup:

So glad shes eating now, its worrying isnt it :(

So glad she is eating now. You might find that she chops and changes her mind when it comes to food. Mine seems to change her mind all the time one day she likes the wet food I put out then the next day she turns her nose up at it. One day she likes fish flavoured stuff then the next time I buy it she regfuses point blank to eat it.

Cats can be fussy buggers!

Glad she's eaten something hun xx My cat seems to have a thing for fish flavoured food too, so perhaps try and keep to that theme. I always do and have no more problems :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->