Apparently high protein, low carb diets boost fertility

Peanutt

Reaction score
I had been TTC #1 for two years without a single BFP. Last month I decided to lose some weight and switched to a high protein, low carb diet and that cycle, I got a BFP.
Sadly, it ended in MC but I have new hope!

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/803821

NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana — Reducing carbohydrates and boosting protein intake can significantly improve a woman's chance of conception and birth after in vitro fertilization (IVF), according to a new study.

The effect is "at the egg level," said lead investigator Jeffrey Russell, MD, from the Delaware Institute for Reproductive Medicine in Newark. He presented the findings here at American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists 61st Annual Clinical Meeting.

Carbohydrate-loaded diets create a hostile oocyte environment even before conception or implantation, he explained.

"Eggs and embryos are not going to do well in a high-glucose environment." By lowering carbs and increasing protein, "you're bathing your egg in good, healthy, nutritious supplements," he said.

Eggs and embryos are not going to do well in a high-glucose environment.
Dr. Russell said this study was prompted by the poor quality of embryos he was seeing in young, healthy women who came through his IVF program. "We couldn't figure out why. They weren't overweight, they weren't diabetic," he said.

The 120 women in the study, who were 36 and 37 years of age, completed a 3-day dietary log. It revealed that for some, their daily diet was 60% to 70% carbohydrates. "They were eating oatmeal for breakfast, a bagel for lunch, pasta for dinner, and no protein," Dr. Russell explained.

Patients were categorized into 1 of 2 groups: those whose average diet was more than 25% protein (n = 48), and those whose average diet was less than 25% protein (n = 72). There was no difference in average body mass index between the 2 groups (approximately 26 kg/m²).

There were significant differences in IVF response between the 2 groups. Blastocyst development was higher in the high-protein group than in the low-protein group (64% vs 33.8%; P < .002), as were clinical pregnancy rates (66.6% vs 31.9%; P < .0005) and live birth rates (58.3% vs 11.3%; P < .0005).

When protein intake was more than 25% of the diet and carbohydrate intake was less than 40%, the clinical pregnancy rate shot up to 80%, he reported.

Dr. Russell now counsels all IVF patients to cut down on carbohydrate intake and increase protein intake.

"There is no caloric restriction, but they have to get above 25% protein. This is not a weight-loss program, it's a nutritional program. This is not about losing weight to get pregnant, it's about eating healthier to get pregnant," he said.

Back to Basics

In a study presented at the American Society of Reproductive Medicine (ASRM) meeting last year, IVF patients who switched to a low-carbohydrate, high-protein diet and then underwent another cycle increased their blastocyst formation rate from 19% to 45% and their clinical pregnancy rate from 17% to 83% (Fertil Steril. 2012;98[Suppl]:S47).

Even non-IVF patients with polycystic ovarian syndrome have improved pregnancy rates after making this lifestyle change, Dr. Russell noted.

This "draws attention to a previously understudied area of reproduction...and opens the way for understanding a host of dietary factors that may be related to improved outcomes in the assisted reproductive technologies," ASRM president-elect Richard Reindollar, MD, who is chair of obstetrics and gynecology at the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon, New Hampshire, told Medscape Medical News.

"These studies demonstrate how little we know about the effect of micronutrients in our diets on various aspects of reproduction. They demonstrate a field wide open for future research and beg questions such as whether, for example, it is carbohydrates in general or the inflammatory effects of gluten in grain carbohydrates that are deleterious to IVF outcomes," said Dr. Reindollar.

The study's connection between high blood glucose to IVF success is "an interesting finding that deserves to be evaluated further," said Sharon Phelan, MD, from the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque, who is a member of the ACOG Scientific Program Committee. She was asked by Medscape Medical News to comment on the findings.

"Although the blood glucose is not high enough to be in the diabetic range, it is enough to be toxic to the developing blastocyst," she added." Perhaps this is a call for us to get back to our 'roots,' or basic diets, again."

Dr. Russell, Dr. Reindollar, and Dr. Phelan have disclosed no relevant financial relationships.

American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) 61st Annual Clinical Meeting: Abstract 96. Presented May 6, 2013.

I know for me I feel better when I eat low carb. I think there is merit to this theory!

Sorry about your MC :(

It does work! I posted about this a few days ago. It not only boosts fertility, but it also helps to reverse the effects of PCOS. There have been many books written about it, and it is called the "Ketogenic diet".

Well, I have protein powder and I'm not afraid to use it!
If you have chocolate and add in some strawberry yogurt and some ricotta cheese you get more protein and it tastes like chocolate strawberry cheesecake.

Me too! That's a great idea about the strawberry!!!

You can't use that as a protein supplement all the time because natural forms of protein are better for your body such as those found in chicken, fish, some vegetables etc.

You can't use that as a protein supplement all the time because natural forms of protein are better for your body such as those found in chicken, fish, some vegetables etc.

Using it as your only source of protein would be stupid.
I just have the shake for lunch. Lunch is the only meal of the day I struggle with when staying low carb. Eggs in the morning take no time at all. I don't like to eat cold meat but don't have time to cook for lunch. And I have time to cook dinner.
Fortunately the protein shake uses egg whites as the protein source. Whey protein doesn't "stick to your ribs" because it's so easily digested. And I don't want soy protein. The ricotta cheese and yogurt also provide natural protein and other healthy nutrition and probiotics but are still healthy.
This is definitely not my only source of protein.

I have PCOS, I'm going to start this type of diet today. I'm a carb addict though, so there might be some withdrawal symptoms, lol! I need to lose weight and boost my fertility at the same time.

Because my protein supplement is made from what....milk? It's whey, it's natural, made from grass fed cows. What is unnatural about it? (I don't do isolates, I do whole form whey)

I just started a high protein diet (which is naturally low carb) because I'm working out, but I've fallen off the bandwagon! BACK ON THE BAND WAGON!!

Seriously, 25% was my protein goal, which left about 45% carbs. I hope this is true, I'm getting back on it TODAY.

Because my protein supplement is made from what....milk? It's whey, it's natural, made from grass fed cows. What is unnatural about it? (I don't do isolates, I do whole form whey)

I just started a high protein diet (which is naturally low carb) because I'm working out, but I've fallen off the bandwagon! BACK ON THE BAND WAGON!!

Seriously, 25% was my protein goal, which left about 45% carbs. I hope this is true, I'm getting back on it TODAY.

I was not talking about you. I never even saw you post in this thread till now.

I was talking about pp who posted about protein powder.

I was not talking about you. I never even saw you post in this thread till now.

I was talking about pp who posted about protein powder.

I do use protein powder, that's what I was talking about! There is almost NO WAY to get that much protein in my diet without supplementing with protein powder. I take TWO servings in a shake after I work out. I would have to eat meat at ever meal and snack to get 25-30% of my calories from protein (I've done it before).

FWIW, I didn't post earlier in the thread, but you made a sweeping generalization about people who use protein powder, which, I do - therefore I quoted and responded.

The thing is, protein supplements are not unnatural by default. They are just concentrations of naturally occurring protein.

I've learned through my own experience that you can meet those protein levels, but if you choose to do it that way its your body.

There is no reason to attack me, I am trying to be helpful. If you are happy doing what your doing then have at it.

No no no, I was not trying to attack you! Gosh the internet can be so hard to convey tone. I just wanted to state that protein supplements are not that far removed from meat/dairy sources of protein, and to discount them so readily as bad might be a mistake.

However, I dare you to show me an affordable, easy to do (I work full time and only get a chance to cook 1 meal a day) diet plan for a week that gets me 25% of my calories from protein on a 2100 calorie diet, without using protein powder or eggs. I really don't think it's as achievable as you think.

No no no, I was not trying to attack you! Gosh the internet can be so hard to convey tone. I just wanted to state that protein supplements are not that far removed from meat/dairy sources of protein, and to discount them so readily as bad might be a mistake.

However, I dare you to show me an affordable, easy to do (I work full time and only get a chance to cook 1 meal a day) diet plan for a week that gets me 25% of my calories from protein on a 2100 calorie diet, without using protein powder or eggs. I really don't think it's as achievable as you think.

It definitely is hard to convey tone over the internet, because that's how it sounded on my end :p No worries though.

Just to clarify, I didn't say you could never use protein shakes as a source for protein - just that there are better sources in my opinion. I can understand why you would need to use protein powder to achieve that in your situation, seeing as you don't have the time to cook all of your meals from scratch every day. Also, just out of curiosity, why no eggs?

Also, when I mentioned that protein shakes were not the way to go as a source of protein, I was talking about the average person - not people who work out all of the time or are hardcore bodybuilders

It definitely is hard to convey tone over the internet, because that's how it sounded on my end :p No worries though.

Just to clarify, I didn't say you could never use protein shakes as a source for protein - just that there are better sources in my opinion. I can understand why you would need to use protein powder to achieve that in your situation, seeing as you don't have the time to cook all of your meals from scratch every day. Also, just out of curiosity, why no eggs?

Also, when I mentioned that protein shakes were not the way to go as a source of protein, I was talking about the average person - not people who work out all of the time or are hardcore bodybuilders

Yeah the internet can be that way sometimes, especially for me because I use a lot of sarcasm and dry wit IRL, and sometimes I forgot this doesn't convey well online!

I don't like eggs. I will cook with them fine, but I can't just have eggs as a protein source for breakfast because the smell and texture of them literally make me gag. So it's either get up extra early to make bacon or something, or throw together a protein shake in the AM. Lunch is leftovers from homemade dinner usually, and then dinner has a meat - but that alone gets me nowhere near 25% protein, or if it does it's only like 1400 calories.

I'm not a hardcore bodybuilder, but I do lift weights twice a week. I require 1800 calories just to maintain my weight, I add 300 because I'm still breastfeeding regularly, I'm not eating any extra because I'm lifting - ie that is what I would eat if I wasn't lifting too! So I'd probably be supplementing protein even if I wasn't lifting, just probably one scoop a day instead of 2!

Kiwiberry, I agree with what I think your point is which you need protein from different sources.

I think protein powder is fine even for someone not working out as long as you don't over do it. I work out but I only use a protein shake for one meal a day. I mix a powder made from egg whites and the whey powder into one shake. And like I said before, also add some yogurt and some ricotta cheese (or cottage cheese).
For my other meals, I get protein from eggs, meat, and dairy.

Yeah, but like today, when I started off the AM not caring about protein and decided to kick it in gear this afternoon - I already ate breakfast and packed lunch (turkey lunchmeat sandwich, some protein). I plan to have for my afternoon snack 2 servings of tuna, for dinner a 4.5oz steak, THEN have my post-workout shake before bed since we didn't hit the gym today (with 2 scoops of protein powder) and I STILL need to find 46 grams of protein. For the record, the steak only has 24, so I could eat two steaks and STILL not make my protein goals. See it isn't so easy, even WITH protein powder! And I guarantee you I won't be hungry enough to eat all that either. I literally do not see how I could physically eat enough to get my protein from food sources.

Miss, it really sucks that you cant eat eggs :cry:. Just 2 eggs = 1 scoop of protein powder. I can eat like 6 eggs in one meal lol!! (I love love love eggs)

You can't help what you don't like though.

I wish I could exercise, I can only do the walks though. Anything more than that and I start to get really winded. I was born as a micro premie and have problems with my lungs.

Kiwiberry its hard when you wish you could work out more but you just physically can't.

I really have no idea why eggs turn me so, that and seafood. It could be worse, DH can't eat vegetables or fruits at all. It makes him vomit (literally, it isn't like we haven't tried).

I'm trying to plan tomorrow and I'm having no luck either. Perhaps I could put eggs in a smoothie?

Hmmm... Some people microwave an egg white and put cinnamon and stevia on it and they say it tastes like custard. You can put an egg in a smoothie too like you said. I never tried it, but ppl say it blends right in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->