Apparently implantation bleeding isn't real and past 10dpo is always a warning sign???

wrapunzel

mama of four
Reaction score
Hey ladies, just came across this on another forum

The phrase "Implantation" Bleeding is popular on conception forums but is a bit of a misnomer that causes some people to think that the bleeding is due to the embryo implanting. It isn't -- the embryo is only about 0.2mm in diameter at that point, and won't displace significant blood (or cause pain) when it implants. You bleed when progesterone levels in your body drop, which is why you can induce a period by stopping birth control pills (which contain progesterone) or by taking and then stopping progesterone suppositories or Provera (which are also progesterone). Progesterone levels dropping in the luteal phase can be caused by a) increased estrogen in the mid-luteal-phase estrogen surge, which briefly depresses estrogen production, or b) a decrease in progesterone when the corpus luteum runs out of gas at the end of the luteal phase. If b), and you're actually pregnant, your levels can drop briefly before the embryo starts producing enough HCG to tell the corpus luteum to ramp the levels up. Either way, luteal phase spotting can either be a neutral sign (in the case of mid-luteal phase spotting) or a negative sign (in the case of late luteal phase progesterone dropping), but it doesn't have anything to do with implantation, and is not a positive sign of being pregnant.

Sources: Spotting during the luteal phase and the effect on the probability of pregnancy - Countdown to pregnancy Menstrual Cycle - Women's Health Issues - Merck Manuals Consumer Version
As some of you know I had "implantation bleeding" around the time my period was due this cycle when I got my BFP (CD 26, my average cycle from aug 2018 to aug 2020 was 26 days but since then been 30-32 days) and the cycle previous to that, I had a chemical/early mc which started, again, around the day my period was due, CD29 that time.

So, based on what I read above, that "implantation bleed" was very nearly a second miscarriage??? and anyone TTC who experiences "implantation bleeding" should consider supplementing progesterone?

(note to any pregnant mamas reading this: spotting past 20dpo was not included in this study and the placenta is beginning to form by then, so spotting past 5 weeks can be from subchorionic hematoma etc not only progesterone dropping)

Thats interesting! With my daughter i had a bright red spot at midnight 12 to 13dpo then brown spotting 5 days between week 4 and 5 which turned red 1 day at 5 weeks. But levels rose perfectly

This is really interesting. This month with my chemical I didn’t have any spotting until the night of 19 dpo then full on bleeding at 20 dpo. By that point my pregnancy test was nearly negative. I wonder if that means I can assume my progesterone is probably okay and that the issue had more to do with the embryo.

I had spotting a few cycles when ttc my 1st and it did always result in AF. The only time I had IB was when I was pregnant with my 3rd baby. I had spotting/light bleeding 1x day from 10 to 12 dpo. I was breastfeeding so maybe that had an affect on my hormone levels. I didn't have betas drawn but my frer progression was excellent which I know doesn't have anything to do with progesterone. I didn't have anymore spotting that pregnancy.

I’ve had no IB with 3 of my pregnancies that were successful and none with my first 3 live children and in all my losses. I’m not sure if progesterone was an issue as I always ever since my third child had mid cycle spotting every month but didn’t have progesterone with Leo but did with Eloise and this one

With my 10 year old DS I had 1 random dot of red blood in my underwear a few days b4 my BFP.

And with this pregnancy i had light spotting at 14dpo.
Then some more just over a week ago and then that slightly heavier spotting_bleeding on Thursday nothing since.

I did have some spotting with Tommy to at 12 weeks And my midwife put it down to implantation bleeding.

The lady that did my scan on Friday said the bleeding I've been having is probably implantation.

I have never had implantation bleeding, but I know that lots of ladies here have had it.

IB is always a bad sign for me personally. Never had a successful pregnancy with it. Had a SCH at 10 weeks with a successful pregnancy though.

That's interesting x
With DS1 I had a little pinky/Orange on the day my period was due. I actually didn't realise I was pregnant till a few days later.
DS2 I had a few faint streaks of red on wiping about 9dpo, thought I was out but had a bfp the next day.
I dont think had anything with my losses.
Everyone is different eh? X

I think it's one thing when the IB happens and another when it actually comes out. I have had a smear of brown blood with 2 of my successful pregnancies and it was at like 12-13 or 14 dpo when I actually saw it. So it might have been there but stuck in/at the cervix for a few days. I think it's so hard to tell but the only kind of bleeding that's been a bad sign for me is the kind that didn't stop that day.

I had more spotting today but only when wiping. It was very very light pink and lasted about half hour then stopped.
I really hope this doesn't mean I'm going to go on and lose this baby :-(

I had more spotting today but only when wiping. It was very very light pink and lasted about half hour then stopped.
I really hope this doesn't mean I'm going to go on and lose this baby :-(
So many other things can cause spotting besides low progesterone... it could just be your cervix was irritated. Have you had your first scan? How was it?

So many other things can cause spotting besides low progesterone... it could just be your cervix was irritated. Have you had your first scan? How was it?

Hi hon yes I had to have a emergency scan on Friday because I had a bleed on Thursday.
See baby and HB and measuring bang on what I am.

She cudnt see any reason for the bleeding and that everything looked great.

I didn't have any more until yesterday but it much much fainter and lighter yesterday
It was just very very pale pink and happened when wiping. It lasted about 3 or 4 wipes then stopped and nothing again since.

I have another scan next week on February 19th at 8+1 and I feel really nervous.

Hi hon yes I had to have a emergency scan on Friday because I had a bleed on Thursday.
See baby and HB and measuring bang on what I am.

She cudnt see any reason for the bleeding and that everything looked great.

I didn't have any more until yesterday but it much much fainter and lighter yesterday
It was just very very pale pink and happened when wiping. It lasted about 3 or 4 wipes then stopped and nothing again since.
My understanding is that once you see the heartbeat your risk of miscarriage really drops. I’m sure it will go great at your next scan! There are so many reasons for bleeding in pregnancy and it was only a bit which is good. I know I’d be freaking out as well, but I still want to send you reassurance because everything sounds like it’s going really well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->