Apprenticeships and childcare what would you do?

kbwebb

Reaction score
I've found an apprenticeship for childcare, for 15 months. It's only £80 per week, childcare per day for Lucy is around £40 per day. £20 per week in buses, So potentially I could be out of pocket.

Long term I want to be a midwife, but can't go on an access course until I'm 19 for the September (turn 19 next January but can't go on the course until the following September).

I feel like having working experience with childcare would help my uni application (after access course) and would help me have a chance of being a midwife as there's only 25 places per year, or, if I changed my mind, I've still got a job at the nursery to fall back on.

What would you do?

Are you not entitled to any help as you are on such a low wage?
Also how many hours a week will you be working? You should be being paid a minimum of £2.68 an hour and generally apprenticeships are full time..

It's 30 hours per week and I think I'd get some childcare tax credits I aren't sure

You should get Child Tax Credits at about £230 a month which can help with costs, then potentially 80% of childcare costs covered, and perhaps income support/WTC to top up your wage, but it's worth calling tax credits and asking them about that, or asking Citizen's Advice if you can.

Hi Hun- I have a few midwives in my family so thought I'd offer you some advice

Your are right in thinking someone child care experience will help you with your university application- but rather than taking up a place on an apprenticeship to gain a qualification your not going to do much with sounds a little silly. It is also important to remember that being a midwife is very much about the care of the mother and you should cover both bases to be successful with your application.

Contact your local maternity unit and ask to do some voluntary work. Even if it isn't midwifery related- it will help you tremendously with your application as you are being subjected to the type of work and atmosphere you will be deal with on a day to day basis during your training and when your qualified. Contact a few people who run antenatal classes in your area and ask if you can sit in the back and observe. If you know of any independent midwives in your area it would be good if you contacted the and asked if you could shadow them as well. Not to mention the dedication that volunteering will show to a university.

It seems silly for you to train to work in a nursery if that isn't what you are wanting to do- especially as you are potentially stopping someone who does want to do that to take the opportunity to do so.

RE access course- have you looked into doing via distance learning? I don't know if the same age restrictions apply but it may be a better option as you have your little one.

Make sure you do lots of research too- it is a highly competitive course and you need to understand the amount of work and dedication it will take to complete it.

There is a student midwife forum- SMNET. I'm sure they will be more than happy to chat to you.

Good luck!

I started an access course for midwifery (got pregnant and my baby was born sleeping so didnt complete it) and I dont think nursery work actually helps. I have experience as one and that is what I was told any way, you would be much better off getting work as a healthcare assistant or something like that, to gain experience in that sort of role.

Thanks for all your advice. I see what you mean about taking the apprenticeship away from someone else. I can't go on an access course for another year and a half, as far as I know it's 19 nationally to get funding for the course :nope: I'll look into volunteering and looking for independent midwives although I don't think there are any around here really.

:thumbup:

Do you have a sure start centre near you? If you do you might be able to arrange some work experience through them working with mothers and babies, which would be a closer link to midwifery. If they have a young parents group you could ask about helping out with that (or even establishing one if they don't!) as that would show that you are using your experience to help others. Plus you might be able to use teh creche for your DD so you're not paying chiildcare.

What about a job as a health care support worker?

Healthcare support worker jobs are hard to find really. Any that are advertised ask for you to have your own car (I cannot afford driving lessons). There are never any for apprenticeships or people with no experience sadly.

There is a sure start center near me, I aren't sure of the things they do there, I would have to enquire about that. :) I've just found a doula in my area, I have emailed her to ask if I can shadow her :)

Healthcare support worker jobs are hard to find really. Any that are advertised ask for you to have your own car (I cannot afford driving lessons). There are never any for apprenticeships or people with no experience sadly.

There is a sure start center near me, I aren't sure of the things they do there, I would have to enquire about that. :) I've just found a doula in my area, I have emailed her to ask if I can shadow her :)
You can do health care at the hospital, if you don't get in, try care work for a bit first and then reapply. That's how I got into nursing, although I went in with A levels not access. It may not be exactly what you want, but it was invaluable experience and means you will get paid more than childcare. But depends what you want really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->