apraxia

momof2babies

Reaction score
DS has recently been diagnosed with apraxia of speech and isn't expected to speak any time soon. the problem is he gets very frusterated when he can't tell me what he needs, has any one been in the same boat and what did you do about it.

DS has recently been diagnosed with apraxia of speech and isn't expected to speak any time soon. the problem is he gets very frusterated when he can't tell me what he needs, has any one been in the same boat and what did you do about it.

My son has a severe speech delay, both the paediatric neurologist and speech therapist encouraged us to teach him sign language, both as a means of enabling him to communicate and lessen frustration, and secondly as it apparently also helps encourage speech.

It's made a big difference for our son in allowing him a platform to express himself. :thumbup:

:hugs:

We also did signing with my son (he has global development delay including speech) and it helped us SO much. I also made cards with pictures of things he liked so he could show us. At first it was just a cutout of his favourite cereal (just cut the pic out of the cereal box) and later we took pics and printed them out. Both were so helpful as my son was also very frustrated with not being able to made his needs understood. xx

Has your LO been referred to an SLT? I'd definitely recommend starting sign language

My daughter was diagnosed with this and she also has autism. She basically has speech issues, from her autism and also she has very weak hands and muscle strength is lacking. Enrolling your child in as man sports as possible is a good idea as the olde hey get, the harder it is for them to ovecome it.

My daughter is 2.5 and has a severe speech delay. It is so hard not knowing when and if she is going to ever be able to talk like other kids. Then I worry if people will understand her when she does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->