Are baby walkers dangerous?

LaDY

Mummy Of Two xx
Reaction score
Are baby walkers dangerous...even before i had my bubs i heard mums saying that it has been said that they can cause hernia...

Has anyone else heard of that? x

hernia :S Never heard of that , imo no there not dangerous , as long as you keep an eye on LO incase they knock something over ect

I have heard they are dangerous because babies can fall down stairs and stuff in them !! But why would your baby be at the top of any staircase on its own ?? They are illegal in Canada. I have used one with both my boys and no problems here xx

I've never heard that either! I think they are safe as long as you watch LO in them, as above post said. :)

Never heard of that! They're ok as long as they can't pull anything on top of themselves (there was a baby who went over to the tv in one and managed to pull it over) and they're not used anywhere dangerous (top of stairs, raised area, edge of swimming pool - all the obvious things but people still seem to manage to have accidents. I'm picking up a 2nd hand one for Sam to try out tomorrow :D x

I wasn't sure about it...iv heard people going on about it but id realy like to get my LO one when hes older...

Just thought id see everyone elses opinion.

Sam's mum let me know if Sam likes his...i like to plan ahead:) xxx

I have heard they are dangerous because babies can fall down stairs and stuff in them !! But why would your baby be at the top of any staircase on its own ?? They are illegal in Canada. I have used one with both my boys and no problems here xx
They are actually not illegal in Canada!! Where did you hear this??? They sell them in stores, in fact I have an sit-to-stand activity walker for alexa!!

I have never heard about the hernia thing before, but I think the reason that some might say they are unsafe, is because the baby may fall on their face if the walker moves forward before they are ready?? Could be wrong but that is what someone told me a long time ago...

I wasn't sure about it...iv heard people going on about it but id realy like to get my LO one when hes older...

Just thought id see everyone elses opinion.

Sam's mum let me know if Sam likes his...i like to plan ahead:) xxx

I will :D x

They are actually not illegal in Canada!! Where did you hear this??? They sell them in stores, in fact I have an sit-to-stand activity walker for alexa!!

I have never heard about the hernia thing before, but I think the reason that some might say they are unsafe, is because the baby may fall on their face if the walker moves forward before they are ready?? Could be wrong but that is what someone told me a long time ago...
Okay maybe you weer right about them being illegal in canada!! I was thinking about something else I guess... Her sit to stand walker, is not an original walker so that makes it different I guess??

Do you mean ones that they hold onto and walk behind, rather than the type that they stand in?

This is what I was talking about...

https://www.slashtoys.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/baby-walker-safari.jpg

Dont know about hernias, but the hv did tell me not to leave her in it for longer than 15 mins cant remember why.... x

this is the one I have for Alexa, so that is what I assumed you meant...ooops!!

Attachments

• sit-to-stand.jpg
    sit-to-stand.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 2

Do you mean ones that they hold onto and walk behind, rather than the type that they stand in?

We have the same one (different colours) for Jack and he LOVES it! He has been in since 4 months as all he wanted to talk was walk around lol! We havn't had any accidents. I think they are great, he spends hours in his! x :happydance:

We have the same one (different colours) for Jack and he LOVES it! He has been in since 4 months as all he wanted to talk was walk around lol! We havn't had any accidents. I think they are great, he spends hours in his! x :happydance:

It was your video of Jack in the photo gallery that made me want to get one! Looked like he was loving it in his :D Bought a Graco one on ebay and it looks good x

actually, they are dangerous and they are also bad for development. They encourage the baby to walk with their legs apart which builds up the wrong muscles for walking. It will delay walking unaided and can lead to back problems later in life.

If you want your baby to have one, then they should be able to support their own weight first and be able to sit unaided. This is so the trunk and core muscles are developed before the legs. if the legs develop first then they can seriously injure their backs.

Sorry to spoil the fun - i really wish tom could have one, but the health professionals warned us about them as soon as they met us.

I've only got one so Sam can be somewhere safe when he's in the kitchen with me, as he hates being strapped in the high chair if I'm washing up etc. He's standing all the time now so he won't be in it much and it's not to encourage him to stand/walk, just to keep him occupied for a bit :D

Didn't know they were so bad for them though, thanks :hugs: x

I see my friend's baby in his and i just wish tom could use it - he would love it! He hates lying down now! And as you say - sitting in a high chair is boring isnt it. I keep finding myself tempted thinks just 20 mins cant hurt.

Can you ask his doctor/consultant if it's ok for short term use? Just for 10 minutes a day or something to experience the world another way up! I can see why they might worry about babies who are always in them and that's the only time they're putting weight on their feet but I can't see why it would do any harm just for a quick play?! x

Our physio has told us not to let Tegan use one, because with babies with SB having a lot of trouble walking anyway, to teach her to walk using a baby walker (i.e train the wrong muscles) and then try to re-teach her to walk with the right ones would simply be cruel. She has a jumperoo thingy but will only go in that 10 mins at a time :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->