Are direct debits allowed to come out early?

BellaBoo0512

Reaction score
My tv license direct debit was due to come out tomorrow. I check my bank every morning when I wake up and this morning I've noticed the tv license direct debit has come out a day early causing me to go over my overdraft and now I'm going to get charged by my bank.

I've just transferred some money over from another account.. I was going to do this later to cover the direct debits that are due to come out over the next week.

Are they allowed to take direct debits out early? I've noticed that Virgin media sometimes do this too.

I know with mine, the company usually say they will take the money on or around a certain date so I think they are allowed yeah xx

Yeah some of my direct debits change from month to month and it always causes me to loose track of money and end up getting into a mess with them, but like the above post, they say on or around that day x

It's so annoying! Usually there is always enough money in my bank to cover them but I had some PayPal things I bought on eBay a few days ago and the money for them was taken this morning so there wasn't enough for the tv license.

I'm just glad my bank have changed to charges to £5 a day and there not still £40 every time you go over your overdraft!

It is really annoying! Paypal are especially annoying since the money doesn't come out right away xx

Im with Natwest and if i go overdrawn i have until 3pm that day to transfer money in and they dont charge me anything.

Ask your bank if they do the same :)

Im with Natwest and if i go overdrawn i have until 3pm that day to transfer money in and they dont charge me anything.

Ask your bank if they do the same :)

I will do thank you! I'm with RBS and they seem to have the same rules as natwest so hopefully I won't be charged :) my hubby is with Halifax and he still gets charged even if he puts money in on the same day. No wander bank managers get big hefty bonuses!

It is really annoying! Paypal are especially annoying since the money doesn't come out right away xx

Yeah that does my head in about PayPal! They don't take the money out of my bank straight away and then I forget about it then it disappears out of my bank and then I get confused lol x

If it's always going out a day early, I'd check they have the right date x

You should be able to log onto your account and check the payment schedule for tv license just to make sure the future dates match

i was once told by my dad that if you have an agreed date (i.e say trh first of the month) for your DD then legally they can't take money from your account until the first working day after that date if the date agreed falls on a weekend.
so if your agreed date is the first of the month but the next month is a saturday then they aren't allowed to take the money until the monday which is the third (example)
because by rights taking it early they are going against the 'contract' of the direct debit agreement.
anyone who takes a payment early you can ring up and complain and get it agreed that they take money the next working day after your agreed date (you will have to agree a set day each month for this to happen though.)

I have all my direct debits set as the 2nd of each month (as i get paid the last working day of the month) it means i know when all my bills will be paid (if the second falls on a weekend i know the money won't be debited from my account until the monday) it is a whole lot easier and i know that i don't haveto worry about the possibilty of money being taken early.

I know a DD has gone out early for my DH when the day fell over a weekend but usually they take them after.

Like the PP I have all our DDs taken out on the 1st, we both get paid on the last working day of the month so it just makes things easier.

Is it definitely Direct Debit and not standing order? Most arrangements these days are DD.

If it's Direct Debit then the company must take the money on or after the agreed date - so if it's 21st they take it out then but if 21st landed on a Saturday they'd have to wait until Monday 23rd (they wouldn't be allowed to take it Friday 20th). If they've taken it before the date on your agreement then they've broken the terms of the Direct Debit Guarantee and should pay your bank charges for you.

OP I did suggest earlier checking your payment dates, but as I have just been on to sort my own tv license out I checked for you and the direct debit scheme they offer only has 4 options

1st, 8th, 15th or 22nd

So your payment was due today

Depending on weekends/bank holidays mine sometimes do. It's usually something I premeditate.

OP I did suggest earlier checking your payment dates, but as I have just been on to sort my own tv license out I checked for you and the direct debit scheme they offer only has 4 options

1st, 8th, 15th or 22nd

So your payment was due today

I've tried to check my payment dates but when I try to log on the tv licensing website it says by tv license number isn't recognised. I've not had any payment schedules through the post either but when I registered online for my tv license and paid the initial payment it came up with my payment dates and amounts and I put them straight on my calendar so either I have somehow got the date wrong or they have told me the wrong date x

They took ours a bit early this month too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->