Are we sharing too much?

Oh that's terrible! And what an horrific way to find out.

It riles me when people upload photos and make status's concerning other peoples birth announcements before the person in question has even announced it.

When I was pregnant with Oscar and in hospital being induced, my OH's work mates wife wrote on my wall saying something along the lines of 'good luck with the induction, cant wait to see a picture of Oscar'. Now, for one, I dont know her (or like her tbh) and only had her on my fb because it would have made it awkward for him at work if I didnt accept. For two, half of my family and friends didnt even know we were calling him Oscar yet and she writes it all over facebook.

I was really pissed off, deleted the post and sent her a private message asking her not to put my sons name on facebook before I had.

People do over share but some people just need to use their heads!
I would never post on someone's wall about anything that I wasn't 100% sure was common knowledge.
I know people who have found out relatives have died etc from Facebook literally hours after the event. Surely sense would tell you some people may not have been called yet?
I deleted my account between telling the first person I was pregnant and telling the last person that needed to hear it from me.
People did find out the second I went to hospital for the birth though thanks to someone at my oh's work. Nice way for our mums to find out thanks!!

I think some people overshare not in a tmi way but in a safety way. The amount of profiles people have set as public with all sorts of information on. I was browsing a fb selling page and a girl mentioned she had more pics of an item on her personal page so I went to have a look. I could see her whole profile. And it got me thinking of this thread so I had a dig (stalker ha).

If you think about it, lets say I'm a potential predator looking for someone to eventually harm. I could see that this girl was single, had a daughter, could see her daughters name, there were pictures of them both, statuses about going out and where she would be drinking and who would be watching her child. There were also statuses about what dance class her daughter went to and where it was and details of activities they were both going to. Even the name of the nursery popped up.

From all that information, I could potentially target that mum and child by gradually turning up at these places and integrating myself into their lives. I could go out drinking the same nights she does in the same places and creep into her life that way. I could happen to hang about near the activities she goes to. I could go to the park they are at and would be able to call the child over by name. I could even "friend zone" myself and become a potential babysitter after seeing how often she begs for someone to watch her child.

As a result of that girls overshare and failure to apply privacy settings to a fb profile, the door could be opened for someone deadly to just walk into her and her daughters life. In that sense I do think we can overshare in ways other than tmi about our thoughts and feelings and its quite worrying that some people may not realise quite who could be reading their profiles.

I couldn't agree more!

A good friend of mine was going away for 5 weeks and put up a status saying she couldn't wait to go and prayed her house would be ok being all alone. I posted saying i hope she had a good time and my partner (who doesn't have her added) saw her status as it came up in the news feed saying "Carolanne commented on Aly's status' then all the messages.

When my other half is deployed i never say he's away or i'm missing him because i would be too scared that someone else see's who was not meant to or when me and my OH goes away I only tell my next door neighbour and tell them not to put anything on FB.

Sometimes people are just silly.

My pet hate is when someone puts a status up saying "arrrggghhhh" or something to that effect then when someone asks whats up they say "i'll inbox you" or "nothing". By putting your status the way you did means you obviously want a response!

Yeah, I hate when people write they are on holiday, my auntie does and worse still writes in my wall when were are away, have a safe trip etc!

Also agree about those who will wrote something but won't say what they mean and say they will pm certain people, makes you paranoid.

Eternal, when you go away st your wall so no oe can write on it x

I got annoyed a few months ago because my nans brother passed away in hospital in spain, they contacted my nans oldest sister to inform her so she phoned work to say she wouldnt be in that day but the girl that took the message then decided to post on my cousins fb as she was a friend of hers "sorry to hear about your great uncle (name) passing away"

I was so annoyed because it then flagged up on my fb yet none of the rest of the family had been told yet and my great aunt was furrious because it was litterly within 20 mins of her finding out and she was trying to get through to his wife and other family members.

My cousin never even knew our great uncle, had never met him, she is one of these that has nothing to do with the extended family where myself and my mum always have contact with them but hadnt seen them since they came over from spain for LO baptism but we are a very close extended family (also a extremly huge family)

What gave this complete stranger to the family the right to make it public about a family death before any of us knew about it and on somthing like fb

My baby was recently in hospital because my baby was ill with rs virus. I was so upset and worried. We couldn't have visitors because he was contagious and I live in a different country to all my family. Each day I'd out a photo and an update as to how my baby was doing so I didn't have to phone 15 people everyday for an update. It really helped to read the kind comments people made.

I think some people might have thought I was oversharing but it was right for me.

My sil was admitted to a mother and baby unit in a hospital for severe pnd as she wasn't allowed to be alone with her kids. She updated facebook with 'off to stay with the men in white coats'

:nope: the mind boggles at why exactly you'd feel the need to do that...i would say it was to do with her mental health problems but she's always been an oversharer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->