Are you having hcg levels checked?

LilPeanuts

Reaction score
I'm 13 dpo and the dr wants to see me at 8 weeks. I see a lot of ladies posting about their hcg blood work. I've never had this checked in my previous pregnancies. Is this a standard thing or do you have to specifically request it?

For me, no. I asked the doctor to tell me my levels when I got the initial blood test as they usually just tell you yes or no. My clinic appointment is not until 9+3 so no more bloodwork for me til then.

I had mine checked because I had one sided pain which could have meant ectopic. Otherwise, they wouldn't have checked them.

It is unheard of where I am and from what I see on these boards, it causes tremendous stress. Maybe some people will post here about how it was reassuring, but it seems like we should still all just be enjoying the BFP and feeling hopeful, though with the knowledge that the early weeks are always uncertain.

I found it reassuring, but the reason mine were checked is because I was working with a reproductive endocrinologist to get pregnant so was being closely monitored. If you don't have a history or miscarriage and didn't go through fertility treatment I don't think it is a normal thing they do.

My doctor wanted to check mine bc my pregnancy is immediately following a miscarriage without a period in between, but I actually declined. I have an U/S scheduled for Dec 2 (probably ~6 weeks then), and knowing the hcg levels between now and then won't really change anything. Numbers rising appropriately nwould provide only minimal peace of mind. Numbers not rising appropriately would probably still lead to me having the Dec 2 U/S unless I had a mc before then. Either way, it just seemed like more stress than comfort, and my doctor was okay with the decision.

In my previous two pregnancies, I called the doc at about 5 weeks and the first appointments were scheduled for around 9 weeks with no additional testing in between.

My OB does betas as part of his routine screening. When u get a positive test u call him and go in for beta confirmation then repeat after 48 hrs. If all is doubling normally then he sees u again at 8 weeks for a viability ultrasound :)

It's not usually done but you can ask to do them. However I honestly wouldn't. ..I find it really adds unnecessary stress (for me anyway).

Don't do it!!

I had 2 rounds of it (6 draws) with DS1 because of bleeding. It drove me crazy getting the bloods drawn and then waiting waiting waiting for the results and even then the results weren't good (very slow to double) so I was told to expect m/c but he's 3.5 now!

When it was recommended to me with DS2 (again because of bleeding) I declined citing all the stresses from the first time. I was booked in for 2 early scans for dating anyway so I figured that would show if the pregnancy wasn't progressing. GP was fine with that.

Never had my hcg tested either but have had very straightforward and uneventful pregnancies

Don't do it!!

I had 2 rounds of it (6 draws) with DS1 because of bleeding. It drove me crazy getting the bloods drawn and then waiting waiting waiting for the results and even then the results weren't good (very slow to double) so I was told to expect m/c but he's 3.5 now!

When it was recommended to me with DS2 (again because of bleeding) I declined citing all the stresses from the first time. I was booked in for 2 early scans for dating anyway so I figured that would show if the pregnancy wasn't progressing. GP was fine with that.

I've heard of that happening! How stressful! I definitely won't be requesting blood work after hearing all these stories. It's just added stress!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->