Argh, my friend just had her baby and used my no1 name! :(

Sort of related but my best friend has the same name as me. It's never been a problem between us and people don't really see us with the same name (IYKWIM) as we have completely different personalities.

I'm sure if you started spending time with your friend after your LO is born then it wouldn't really be an issue x

Yip, I had a close friend almost use my baby boy name, but after taking advice on here I thought sod it, I'm using it anyway, we now live 300 miles apart anyway, and the name meant something special to us, the only confusing thing was we're both called Keri (she's Kerry) and she's my best friends sister and her sister's kids also call me Auntie Keri, so if they had 2 "cousins" called Lucas born a few days apart it'd have been a tad confusing lol. However all out of the window now as we're both having girls, but I've not told her my girl choice, ya know, just in case......:haha:

I say use it anyway if you don't see her that often, it's a beautiful name :D

Still use it.

Just tell her it's the name you've picked out so you highly approve of it!

I would use it, our little girl is Amelia (shes 4) & we chose it when it wasnt popular lol
Maybe you could say to her that there will be 2 amelias soon to make her more aware

X x

I'd say if you love it, use it! Or you could go with Emilia or Amelie? Xx

I'd still use it. If that's your lg's name, then it's her name. For me the 2 names I've already thought of are stuck, they ARE the baby's name.

But for months before ttc, me and OH thought of Arthur Magnus for a boy. I loved it to death, was sure it was my first little boys name... until I get pregnant, and realise, no... that isn't your name is it, little one? :)

Things change. maybe as time progresses for you it'll stay the same or you'll find HER name. :)

I'd still use it but I like the idea of spelling it a little differently x

I wouldn't even consider your friend in this one to be honest if you aren't so close. After all, like you said, it's popular, so these things can happen!

I think because you told her you HAD liked the name but have been put off because it's becoming so popular, that's why she picked it. I think had she known you had planned on using it if your baby was a girl, she wouldn't have picked it. She probably just figured you weren't using it anymore since you were put off from it and that you wouldn't mind her using it. I'd still use it though, as long as you truly love that name. It's my Aunt's name, by the way, very pretty.

My husbands brother has a 1 year old named Brianna. For the 3.5 years DH and I were ttc I always loved the name Bryn. If this one was a girl she would be named Bryn. My husband Brother call their lo Bri for short. Bryn and Bri sound very similar but I am still using that name if we have a girl. I say use the name, it's your Amelia:)

My best friend from school chose Harper Layne, even though I loved Harper Jayne for years and years. I don't know if I ever mentioned it to her, but as we live in a small town and our kids will be in the same grade at school, the name is out of the question. However, we're still using Harper as a middle name if we are blessed with a baby girl.

So whenever i've thought about having children, i knew i wanted to call my daughter (if i had one) Amelia Rae... I'm talking years and years! When i was first pregnant with Adrian, i knew if he was a girl, we'd be calling him Amelia.
Obviously, that didn't happen :haha:
Then the name Amelia got really popular which made me go off it a little... Then we found out that we are having a girl and i decided that i didnt care that the name is now really popular, i've always wanted it...
My friend had her little girl at the weekend and has called her Amelia :dohh:
She'll only be 4 months older than my LG...
So now it's made me unsure of it again. I dont see her that often but we've been friends for nearly 20 years.
Please someone tell me it doesn't matter?!

It doesnt matter, its a beautiful name, you should definatley call your daughter that. x

I agree with the other ladies...use it! If its special to you then thats all that matters!!

my chosen kids names are there names... they have existed in my head as real people for years so id be heartbroken if someone stole them (each child will have 2 names, first and middle and i have names for 6 children picked so 12 names all in all but only 3 are even slightly common names so i doubt we will find a child with the same name combo)

if you are worried some similar names are:

Emilia (i like this name, its really cute)
Amy-Leah (pronounced A-me-lee-a)
Amalie (pronounced A-ma-lee)
Amalia (pronounced A-ma-lee-a)
Aurelia (pronounced Au-ra-lee-a)
Malia (pronounced Ma-lee-a)
Amber-Leah (pronounced Am-ber-lee-a)
Amilee (pronounced A-me-lee)
Amily (pronounced A-mill-e)
Ammie (pronounced A-mee)

Screw her! haha, sorry, too forceful? Use the name you love. Do you think you guys will stay close for years and years while your LO's grow up? If the answer is fuzzy, then there really isn't an issue. Even if you guys are really close, I would still use your #1 loved name.

You know, years ago when one of my friends was pregnant she told me the names she wanted to use if it was a boy. Turned out to be a girl, but I still remember those names and out of respect I wouldn't use them. I think if you ever mentioned it to her, she'd have remembered. I'm sorry! I had another set of friends who stole a name from the other. They are really close, best friends, so it was really shocking. The one who had the name stolen from ended up using a different name when she had a girl years later, but it took her a good 2-3 years to find another she liked more.

That's horrible, though. :( Don't let it deter you, though! Amelia is a LOVELY name.

Thanks ladies,
I really dont think she's done it on purpose and we are thinking we'll still use it... definitely makes me think more about it though!
I've got another friend due a girl this week and i do see her quite often, now if by some freaky coincidence she used it, i defo wouldnt be able to!
Thinking more 'Amy' now and maybe put 'Amelia' on her birth certificate but call her Amy day to day.
Think Amy would be quite easy for Adrian to say as well <3
Just please dont let the Royal baby be a girl! :wacko:

Thanks ladies,
I really dont think she's done it on purpose and we are thinking we'll still use it... definitely makes me think more about it though!
I've got another friend due a girl this week and i do see her quite often, now if by some freaky coincidence she used it, i defo wouldnt be able to!
Thinking more 'Amy' now and maybe put 'Amelia' on her birth certificate but call her Amy day to day.
Think Amy would be quite easy for Adrian to say as well <3
Just please dont let the Royal baby be a girl! :wacko:

even if it is she wont be called amelia, she is the possible future queen therefor the have strict naming rules, all direct royals are named after past non living members so the logical assumption is:

George for a boy
Victoria for a girl

yeah, didnt really think they'd call the royal baby Amelia, just thinking if i choose another name i like and... :)
Feel a bit sorry for them with the ridgidity of the Royal family. Would be wonderful if Wills and Kate called the baby something really original and unusual...

yeah, didnt really think they'd call the royal baby Amelia, just thinking if i choose another name i like and... :)
Feel a bit sorry for them with the ridgidity of the Royal family. Would be wonderful if Wills and Kate called the baby something really original and unusual...

yeah that would be awesome but i doubt it will happen, even if they called there kids something classic that hasn't been used before it would be interesting (like Joseph, Oliver, Johnathon, Jacob, Robert, Thomas etc...)

James and Alexander haven't been used for a while in the royal family I think, they could make a come back

some other options if that are plausible, but a bit out there:

Adelaide
Alice
Maud
Ernest
Helena
Augustus
Caroline
Patrick
Leopold
Duncan
Feodore