argh party bags!

Lau88

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'd be so grateful if anyone could give me some ideas for 4/5 year olds party bags. I really don't want to fill it with plastic bits from the supermarket or sweet cones. I was toying with the idea of a book and some sweets each but having a quick google there's a lot of mums on forums slating that idea. Could you lovely ladies suggest some alternatives? Ideally id like a couple of nice inexpensive items, also if anyone knows of any good wholesale websites I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks x

I bought bookS for reading for them for my five year olds party. At school they use the Oxford reading books so I bought loads from the book people and gave them out with sweet cones. x

What did the kids think? I like the idea, I was toying between a reading book/activity book, mini haribo, mini bubble wand and a cupcake.

As a parent, I like the idea of books. My two love books so would be welcome in our house.

If you don't want to go down the route of reading books, what about a small colouring book and a little pack of colouring pencils?

I like the idea of books too, I like its something both parent and child can enjoy rather than something that will get broken within minutes. I was looking at a few forums and a few people were saying how boring, snobby and pretentious it was and how their kids didn't appreciate it coz it wasn't like a proper party bag. Failing a reading book I may do sticker books but is it really a boring, snobby and pretentious route to go down? I know me and my two would appreciate it a lot more than a few bits that will snap or not get played with.

For my Daughters May birthday I done plant pots and seeds (with some sweets). For my sons for September I got each child a £1 lego pack from wilkinsons.

I don't get this thing that people actually buy gifts for the kids who come to the party... I just don't! It must be a cultural expectation as in NZ if party bags are done it is literally a couple of sweets or a piece of cake and a balloon or something. I would feel totally weird if someone gave my kid a book for coming to a birthday party.

I took DS1 to a fourth birthday party last Sunday and he was given a little bag with a couple of chocolates in it.

I don't think the kids love it as much as the plastic stuff in bags!!!!! But as a parent I prefer it as otherwise we have loads of party bags with little toys hanging round the house. And at least it's some use!

My girls love the little bits of tat! Give them a balloon, party blower thing, some bubbles and a small pack of haribo and they are over the moon!
We did sweet cones at my dds party.

4/5yr olds dont want a book, they want something silly and fun! (at least all of the kids in my daughters class would) You don't give the party bag for the parents...

My opinion anyway!

I think books are a lovely idea and will definitely be copying it maybe with a sachet of hot chocolate and some marshmallows and a slice of birthday cake. Maybe some bubbles or a couple of sweets as well.

I think books are a great idea. We done playdough for dd2s 7th birthday, I brought the mini pots, put two and some cutters into a party bag, some bubbles and then sweets and cake.

Next year we're doing the same as a previous poster, some flower pots, baker Ross at yellow moon do some the kids can colour in themselves, some pens/crayons and some seeds. Will obviously put some sweets in and cake, maybe some bubbles but that will be it.

I don't agree that kids don't enjoy it as much at least not from personal experience anyway, dd3 got given a make your own windmill one year and loved sitting and doing that, I thought it was a great idea. :)

I wouldn't give just a book, there would be a mini bubble wand, mini haribo and a cupcake, possibly some stickers too so its not like they wont be able to have a toot in the bag. Every party we've been to has had a tiny puzzle that is so flimsy its impossible to make, a small wand, bubbles and the cake. Apart from the cake it all gets put down and never looked at again, and it works out about the same price as a book.maybe a sticker or activity book would be a better idea.

I tend to buy by theme haha but I'm a little OCD over that :/ For DD's birthday she choose minions so I bought a big bag of yellow glow sticks (kids love them, they can use them then the parents can throw them out haha), a yellow bouncy ball, a minion drinking cup, and minion tattoos. I also included some gummy fruit snacks, a fruit roll up and some candy.

For my son's birthday he had an Avenger theme and I included some Avenger pencils, Avenger slinkies (small ones, very small!), and Avenger bubbles. He had WAY less kids at his party so I bought a bit more for the bags.

In the past I've done things such as buckets and shovels and sent home a plant the kids at the party planted. That seemed to go over really well.

I did it by theme too, my ds had an avengers party so the party bags were themselves avengers, with little avengers toys - or tat if you want to be honest - and some birthday cake. My son went to a party recently and had a giant bubble wand with a sweet cone which he loved but my son in particular is obsessed with sweets so I hate him having things like that

Thanks ladies, I got all the stuff yesterday

-a colour in story book/activity book
-a mini bubble wand
-haribo
-rubber
-pencil
-a certificate for being an awesome party guest

I think that's it, I'll add a cupcake too. But with 7 weeks to go in sure I'll find something else to pop in. At least the kids can have a rummage in the bag, but still get a little use out of it.

I always buy things by theme, too. This year, the boys did a Star Wars party, so I bought those really long bubble wands, and tied a label on them that made them look like a light saber, and that was the main party favor. I also did goodie bags that had a few star wars stickers, star wars coloring pages, tattoos, star wars noise maker things.

If you have a party theme, Pinterest is your friend. I've always had great luck finding theme related favor ideas on there, just to get a bit different than the traditional goodie bag with noise makers and candy.

I'm lucky really, dd just wants all decorations in her favourite colour than a proper theme. Which gave me a chance to look for stuff to put in the bag that was more affordable than doing a whole certain theme.

Personally, I hate party bags and I dread whenever anyone gives us one as it just a load of junk, but if you're doing to do it, I would put something in there that can be used up, a book, sticker books, colouring pencils and then maybe send them home with an extra piece of cake. I'd steer clear of all the plastic junk and sweets as not all kids have sweets. I know I just bin the ones we get as soon as we get home. At least the cake can be set aside for after dinner or saved for the next day.

I did a book each, piece of cake and pack haribo. I got several book collections off the book people. The boys adored frankies magic football by frank lampard and got girls collect a pet which was book about with kittens, puppys, ponys or bunnys and had necklace (very gender steriotypical but fitted with dd class interests). The little ones had picture book. All went down well

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->