aromatherapy in labour? Anyone tried it?

Minnyb

Reaction score
Hi all! I saw the consultant today who referred me to a birthing unit which I noticed offered aromatherapy oils etc in labour. This is my fifth baby but I've never tried it before and wondered if anyone else had and would recommend it? I can't help thinking it could be worth a try, but I'm not sure...:shrug:

i had frankenscence last time to help relax my body and make contractions more effective. they also put some oils in a bath for me. dont know if they worked but they did not do any harm.

also my dh had a good sniff and almost fell asleep on the bathroom floor while i was in the bath:dohh:

i had frankenscence last time to help relax my body and make contractions more effective. they also put some oils in a bath for me. dont know if they worked but they did not do any harm.

also my dh had a good sniff and almost fell asleep on the bathroom floor while i was in the bath:dohh:

Did you have to request the oils or did they just offer you them? Do you think they'd put them in a birthing pool? I expect they'd have the same effect on my DH! :)

They offer it at my hospital. They did say that they don't put it in the water but that your OH can massage the oils into your shoulders whilst you're in the pool. You can also have it rubbed into you if you aren't in the pool. I'm going to try it!

I'm using lavender now with relaxation music so I can associate with 'calmness' on the day and will also be using clary sage and camomile....
....anything to fend off the adrenaline :)

I'm using lavender now with relaxation music so I can associate with 'calmness' on the day and will also be using clary sage and camomile....
....anything to fend off the adrenaline :)

Are you providing your own because I think my hospital says you can only use their hospital products which may be a bit limiting. Also, is it safe to use lavender before labour (I'm sure I heard it can induce it sometimes...??!! ) because I'd like to try it-I love the smell! How exactly are you using it too? Which are the best and do you know what they're for specifically? Sorry for all the questions...a complete novice!! :blush:

They offer it at my hospital. They did say that they don't put it in the water but that your OH can massage the oils into your shoulders whilst you're in the pool. You can also have it rubbed into you if you aren't in the pool. I'm going to try it!

A massage sounds great, just hope DH is obliging! ;)

they came and offered it to me once they had monitored baby and contractions.
the nurse did say that i was lucky as one of the people trained in aromatherapy was in, so i dont know if everyone will get the choice as not all mw are trained.
dont know about birth pool but it made the bath room smell lovely.
maybe ask how likely it is that there will be someone there that can give you the oils or speak to your mw about taking something in with you.
i did have to sign a consent form before they would give me any

they came and offered it to me once they had monitored baby and contractions.
the nurse did say that i was lucky as one of the people trained in aromatherapy was in, so i dont know if everyone will get the choice as not all mw are trained.
dont know about birth pool but it made the bath room smell lovely.
maybe ask how likely it is that there will be someone there that can give you the oils or speak to your mw about taking something in with you.
i did have to sign a consent form before they would give me any

I guess I'll have to check there will be someone at the birthing unit to do this. Do you think it helped at all even if it just relaxed you and do you know what you used?

When i was in labour at my local birthing unit my midwife wanted to strengthen my contractions, so she put clarysage on a sanitary pad an made my husband waft it in my face lol!!! It seemed such a funny thing to do but it did strengthen them. She also put Clarysage in the bath on arrival of the unit. I do believe in the power of aromatherapy oils and believe they helped xx

I'm up for trying it. I've been burning clary sage oil for a few days now and definately feel I'm getting more BH.

I've done loads of research and taken loads of advice because I knew nothing before I bought the bottles :). Everyone has said and everything I have read says that lavender is the safest essential oil to use as long as you do not use it neat, it must be used in a carrier oil like sweet almond oil.... My husband is rubbing it oil and lavender on my tummy every night as a stretch mark preventer - my skin is the softest its ever been!
I use it in my bath and also burn in a burner when listening to my relaxation stuff....
It's doing something as I only need a whiff and feel instantly
Soothed and relaxed :)
I'm having a home birth so not sure about hospital policies....
If you are going to buy some
I got mine from eBay.... A litre of almond oil (carrier) was £8.25 and 500mls lavender oil was £6, so cheap compared to shops :)

i cant remember what she put in the bath sorry.
i think the francencense helped but if not it shut my husband up for half hour and that relaxed me

Im giving it a go too, i attended a birthing class where the teacher had a huge sheet in the middle of the floor, we all held onto an edge and practiced 2nd stage breathing techniques while raising the sheet higher and higher, the sheet was spritzed with lavendar oil and it really had an amazing calming and serene effect on me.

I have bought a burner, lavendar and Clary sage oil. My MIL gave me Bergamot too. A couple of nights ago i experimented and decided im going to mix 6 drops lavendar with 3 drops bergamot for the burner and Im going to use clary sage on a hanky during labour.

Reading this though i best check with the labour ward if i can bring my own stuff in!

Thanks for all the tips and advice ladies. I think I'm definitely going to look into this a little more. If I can find something to really relax me, then I think I would be well worth it! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->