Aromatherapy Oils

MidnightSun

Reaction score
I went to my first antenatal class yesterday and the MW mentioned Clary Sage for use in labour.

I am hoping (!!) to have a nice, peaceful hypno water birth and wanted to use some oils anyway but just hadn't decided which ones. Knew I wanted to use lavender, but was unsure as to what else with it.

Am I right in thinking that I can use lavender now safely? But that I can only use the Clary Sage from about 38 weeks?

Also what's the most effective way to use it? In massage on my tummy or in the bath, burner or simply on a wet face cloth mixed with the lavender?

x x

Lavendar is safe to use just now and great oil to burn when practicing your hypno relaxations as it starts to become a trigger. The best is to burn it an oil burner (4-5 drops with water in the basin bit). The reason I find this best is that you can then have this be burning while in labour and it will help trigger you to relax like you did when practicing.

I used Clary sage when I hit 37 weeks pregnant and used it as an oil on my tummy while hubby did my perineal massages. I was hoping this was help me to get used to being uncomfortable yet in a state of relaxation. I used almond oil as the base. I just poured some into a ramekin added 2-3 drops of clary sage and then used it to massage my tummy bringing my hands up near my face to sniff if and when hubby did a particularly stretchy stretch. While in labour I used a dry orange cloth (orange was my anchor colour I chose while doing my relaxations) with a few drops of clary sage on it to sniff during a contraction. It was simply amazing. I couldn't go anywhere without my eye mask and my orange clary sage cloth.

There's some fantastic advice there, thank you very much! :flower:

I have an oil burner, so will do as you suggested and pop some lavender in there whilst doing my hypno ... I will do tummy massages with clary sage after my perineal one with the almond oil I have (really not looking forward to those, especially as I am going to have to do them myself!) ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->