ASD diagnosis - why such a lengthy process?

SO true.

I've also been doing a lot of research and another thing that's hard is how Autism is SO different in girls than it is in boys. So mother's of girl kiddos who have high-functioning ASD have it super hard!!! Not saying that mothers of boys who have high-functioning ASD have it any easier of course... but they're doing studies now to try and figure out why society is willing to accept boys with ASD but not girls.

:wacko:

SO true.

I've also been doing a lot of research and another thing that's hard is how Autism is SO different in girls than it is in boys. So mother's of girl kiddos who have high-functioning ASD have it super hard!!! Not saying that mothers of boys who have high-functioning ASD have it any easier of course... but they're doing studies now to try and figure out why society is willing to accept boys with ASD but not girls.

:wacko:

I think it's just that people just don't come across many girls with ASD.
I only know of one in my circle of friends.Though i think people only know about the boys because so many parents are using ASD as there excuse for bad behavior:growlmad: makes it harder on the ones that really does have ASD.

I personally know three girls, plus my daughter with ASD, and four boys....seems pretty equal. My daughter is the most severe out of all the girls, and second most severe out of the boys and girls. I hate when people talk about high or low fnctioning, as in "what is your daughter" as it is referrin to mental ret*rdation. I get offended by it.

I'm sorry if i've offended anyone as my other is suspected as having low functioning ASD so i would have one of each. His assessment is going quicker as he has learning and speech difficulties as well as behavior.

I personally know three girls, plus my daughter with ASD, and four boys....seems pretty equal. My daughter is the most severe out of all the girls, and second most severe out of the boys and girls. I hate when people talk about high or low fnctioning, as in "what is your daughter" as it is referrin to mental ret*rdation. I get offended by it.

I must admit I hate people asking me that as if I say low they think he is stupid and he isnt. He can tell you all about the solar system etc but just has a low IQ in regards to curriculum but that's no reflection on his true intelligence.

I also go to a support group. There are 20 regular mums and out of the 20, 5 have daughters with ASD x

My daughter is 2.5 and has a severe speech delay. It is so hard not knowing when and if she is going to ever be able to talk like other kids. Then I worry if people will understand her when she does.

My son didnt talk till he was 4 hun and now he is almost 8, most people wouldnt even notice he ever had a speech delay. He can say anything now but he does not understand words if that makes sense x

My son didnt talk till he was 4 hun and now he is almost 8, most people wouldnt even notice he ever had a speech delay. He can say anything now but he does not understand words if that makes sense x

Makena is the same!! She can say WAY more than she understands...so it is tricky. You *think* she understand something, because she will even answer, "OK" or whatever...then she won't do it. Then it can seem like she is ignoring, or acting defiant, when in actual fact, she just didn't understand.

what happens once you get a diagnosis? what help? and with school?

:flower:

You are entitled help regardless of diagnosis. Diagnosis will not mean automatic statement and help or special needs school- thats a whole new fight. If your child needs support now, they should be getting it diagnosis or not x

That's not the same here unfortunately. Claire is in desperate need of OT and until we get her an official diagnosis we do not get any help for her whatsoever unless we pay out of pocket for private therapy.

She has been with a few things, a Resource Teacher playgroup, P and I took the More Than Words class and she's just now being signed up for a Speech Summer Social group (which is good) but I'm not concerned about her speech. Its very delayed but it is getting better and better as the weeks go on... its her sensory stuff that debilitates her. :(

We're close to a diagnosis now though, but then it'll be another long wait for an OT. :dohh:

When I say "entitled too" I dont mean guarantee, I have had to fight for everything my son gets x
We are able to see OT's here regardless of a diagnosis but I dont find they all have much sensory experience. We ended up going private and paying for an autism trained OT who he still has weekly sessions with x

Yeah, I remember you mentioning that you had to fight for everything for your boy. :( For all the spouting off talk about "early intervention" they make it next to impossible to get things done!

I have some things that I got from the OT who was a part of our More Than Words class, mainly because I was near tears after a really rough two weeks with Claire and I was at the end of my rope.

To me if a child is having issues it shouldn't matter if they're diagnosed or not. Help the issues! I'm sure there's a bunch of legal red tape and all sorts of reports to fill out beforehand but as people on the waiting list (or people like you who had to go private) it really sucks!!!

....can you tell I'm a wee bit angry at the situation? :blush:

I totally agree Tiff though, its all so wrong and all the while while they sort out the mess, our children suffer in mainstream schools :(

You are entitled help regardless of diagnosis. Diagnosis will not mean automatic statement and help or special needs school- thats a whole new fight. If your child needs support now, they should be getting it diagnosis or not x

Just seen your siggy, congrats!! X x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->