ASD Support Groups?

Tommee

Reaction score
Hi,

I'd really like my DS to mix with other children I feel that he needs it, it's difficult to mix with typical 2 year olds because DS is non verbal & hyperactive also he's so tall for his age people expect so much from him. Other patents don't understand the way he & just glare which I'm still trying hard to deal with.

Is there any support groups that I could take him to to meet other children with special needs? Or do I have to wait until the official letter which could take months. He loves other children so much I feel he is missing out. When we go to the local park he always smiles at them & waves and shouts bye when they go, he's great with his sister when I came in the room with her earlier today he said her name clearly over & over I was so chuffed :) also I pointed to my nose & said "nose" he then pointed to his eye & said "eye" without been prompted :))))

Sorry I just wanted to share the last part, which most parents take for granted but having a child with ASD it's a massive achievement when they do something new. Thats why I want him to mix I think it'll help to bring him on. Plus he most get fed up of seeing my face all the time.

Thanks xx

I attended a ASD support groups before my son even had a diagnosis and I know many do the same. Now he is at school I attend the group on my own although we do have play sessions in the holidays where they all get a 1:1 carer while mums chat in a different room xx

P.S well done to your son :D

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. How do I find out about these support groups? I've googled my local area but nothing? I did find something for older children & I'd have to have a letter of confirmation to join. DS has 2 appointments the week after next so it's only the beginning for us.

I just really want DS to mix with other children & I really need to meet other parents & just chat. I'd love to start something after Christmas he'll be 2.5 years old by then.

Thanks.

I contacted my local sure start who found a few. I also use a FB group and met many of the people on there, if you are on FB then I can let you know the group as someone might be local to you and have a better idea of your local services than me xx

Thank you :)

I'll phone one of our local Sure Starts centres then. Also I'm just opening a FB account so I can be more open about DS & share photos etc.

xx

I def will do thanks. I need to final set up on the laptop as can't add photos from the iPod which I'm using at the moment.

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"