Ask a Mormon

Hi!

Nope, modern day Mormons definitely DON'T practice polygamy!! :)

There are some 'sects' that do, and they called themselves 'FLDS' , or fundamentalists, but they are soooooooooooo far removed from the real Mormon church.

The real Mormon church is super mainstream and normal. There's this big 'I am Mormon' thing the church is doing to show how 'normal' Mormons are because of all of the misconceptions. Like the lead singer from The Killers? He's a Mormon. Mitt Romney who ran for US president? He's a Mormon....bunch of celebrities were raised Mormon, like Jewel, Ryan Gosling, Amy Adams, Kathrine Heigl, Paul Walker....not all of them stayed, though.
Here's an example of an I'm a Mormon video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jOhOB8MD7g

Soooooooo the history of polygamy is that back when the pioneers were having to trek west and move around so much and men were getting killed, the president of the church said polygamy was to be practiced so all of the women could be 'taken care of' (ie have someone to shelter them, provide for them, etc). PLUS I'm sure they wanted to procreate as many Mormons as possible to grow the church, so it made sense that way. It was outlawed during the 1800s.

Hope that helps!

It does! I've always wondered about it, and definitely makes sense back in the day.

Thank you :flower: I hope you didn't find my question offensive. :blush: It wasn't meant to be.

Definitely not offended! I get asked it a lot haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->