Asking landlord for dog help!

Jade_2012

Reaction score
We live in a 2 bedroom flat and would love to get a small dog, We are just unsure on how to actually ask the landlady if she gives us permission to.

Sounds silly, But do i just say Is it ok if we can get a dog? I want to word it differently lol

thanks everyone :)

How would you feel if I get a small dog? Is that something that you would consider?

Be prepared for her to say no, though.

does anyone have dogs in your block? It's not uncommon for the lease holders of blocks to have a no dogs/pets rule.

I have to say, as much as I'd love a dog, I'd never have one if there was no direct access outside.

Its only 2 floor flats, Yeah loads of dogs and cats round here

I also wouldn't have a dog without a garden- but.. how about..

"We wondered what your position is on dogs. We'd like to get a small family dog but don't want to overstep"

Our landlady has said she doesn't really want any pets, but she may consider it if we're willing to pay for a pet insurance. Apparently there's a special type of insurance that landlords can get, which covers them against damage caused by pets. I'd offer to pay for one of those if asking permission to keep one.

I'd probably write something along the lines of...

'Landlord Name, we'd really like to adopt a dog into our family. I'm wondering if you would consider allowing this if we pay you the costs of any extra "pet cover" on your insurance that may be required on top of our monthly rent. Thanks'.

I also wouldn't have a dog without a garden. My tiny small jack Russell has just enough room to escape our daughter in our house and small garden.

Don't get if you don't ask though. Fingers crossed.

I've had a staffie x in a flat for four years. It is ground floor, so I let her wee outside (on a lead) a couple of times a day, and she gets walked up to three times daily.
So yes it's very hard work but if you are willing to put the effort in then great!
I do also take her with me and lo to my mums a couple of times a week and mum has a garden.
but anyway what they have said above, good luck buy it's very hard to be allowed pets in rented.
We own our flat and still had to get permission because of the leasehold.

Make sure to mention its a small one you want. She may be more inclined and perhaps offer a pet deposit.

Our landlady has said she doesn't really want any pets, but she may consider it if we're willing to pay for a pet insurance. Apparently there's a special type of insurance that landlords can get, which covers them against damage caused by pets. I'd offer to pay for one of those if asking permission to keep one.

I'd probably write something along the lines of...

'Landlord Name, we'd really like to adopt a dog into our family. I'm wondering if you would consider allowing this if we pay you the costs of any extra "pet cover" on your insurance that may be required on top of our monthly rent. Thanks'.

This ^^

And perhaps offer her an extra £100 to add to your deposit as some security. Show you're thinking about the property as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->