Asking to be Induced

Becci_Boo86

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I wanted you view on this. i'm 30 weeks now and i'm not really wanting to go overdue. i have had 4 mc's and i'm worried about birth and something going wrong if i'm left to go over. Also i'm a Jehovahs Witness so i dont accept blood but i have spoken to my doctors and i have other machines and meds i can have. They said they cant be 100% tht the machine will be there when i go into labour. So this is also making me want to be induced so i can make sure that someone is there and the machine too.

Have anyone else been induced because of mc history aswell as other person issues?

Also last week my friend lost her little girl at 40+3 after her placenta ruptured. she is also in a critical condition in hospital due to the loss of blood aswell as other problems due to the hospital not listening to her!!

thanks xx

I defiantly think you have circumstances that would mean they would consider it.

I have no experience I just wanted to say that I hope you get something sorted as have a stress free birth!

I'm not sure hun. I dont think they would induce because of past miscarriages, but having the machine on stand-by may be cause for induction?

When would you wanting to be induced? I dont think they would do it before 40 weeks if you are not high risk, and without medical reasons.

Let us know how you get on if you do ask though x

Out of curiosity, what kind of machine is it?

I don't think a history of miscarriage would be a good medical reason to induce because of the risks posed by the use of Pitocin. High doses of Pitocin during labor can increase your risk of post-partum hemorrhage and considering your religion that could threaten your life. Induction carries extremely heavy risks that should be considered and there are times when benefit does outweigh risks. I would discuss these specific benefits and risks with your doctor and get their opinion.

Personally the risks that come with induction seem far worse than risks coming with a spontaneous labor, especially if you've had no complications with the current pregnancy.

If you are a Jehovah's Witness, I would seriously look into the risks associated with induction. I'm not saying that to scare you, but too many people approach induction thinking it's the easier and more low risk option compared to going overdue. Actually, there is really no added risk to going 'overdue' until you get to 42 full weeks (not just the beginning of 42 weeks).

But there is a huge literature on the risks of induction (sadly, much of maternity care isn't especially evidence-based, which is why so many women still just induced for non-medical reasons). Recent research that's been done shows that induction carries an 80% greater chance of causing a life-threatening postpartum hemorrhage. It also makes you much more likely to end up needing a c-section or instrumental delivery (i.e., forceps), which also means the risk of greater blood loss.

If you are genuinely concerned about avoiding any situation that could result in needing a transfusion, then your safest bet is to wait it out for a natural labour. I can understand your anxiety about your previous losses, but assuming you're otherwise healthy, induction is likely to add more risks than it prevents.

Here's a big recent study on it, but there's tons more out there if you search: https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/1/2/e000514.full

If I was in your shoes, there's no way in heck they'd get anywhere close to me with Pitocin if I knew a transfusion wasn't an option for me for religious reasons.

Hmmm, I think the machine MIGHT get them to consider it but again I'm pretty sure induction carries more risk??

As far as being worried about the birth, I would try to relax, The chances are everything will be ok! My best friend went into labour at 38+3 and her baby got so distressed and stuck in the birth canal, She had an emcs and lost so much blood they were taken to a bigger hospital and the baby was in the NICU for over a week on life support as he stopped breathing & she too lost a ridiculous amount of blood!! She went into labour herself but at a time that would be just before a doctor would normally induce! Problems can happen to anyone at any time of pregnancy, That's awful about what happened to your friend but it could have happened earlier, So don't let that scare you about going overdue, Plus overdue isn't until 42weeks anyway! My mum was 17 days late with me and had a lovely natural birth, Induced births can sometimes happen so fast they can result in a lot of bleeding!
I think you are safest to wait and let your body do things naturally...Good luck!

Just throwing it out there - a home birth carries a lower risk of PPH than a hospital/MLU birth. They think it's to do with the fact that you're more likely to adopt better birthing positions, and being more relaxed. I'd agree with what all the others have said, if you need to avoid receiving blood products, then the best thing to do is to shoot for as natural and as intervention free birth as possible, and if possible to go for natural pain relief options.

I know my hospital will induce between 38-39 weeks if you have had a stillbirth, but not for previous miscarriage or because you know someone that's lost a baby. As the others have said, if you're worried about blood loss, best course if action would be to keep it as natural as possible. Even if you were set a date for induction, if other emergencys come in, its so easy to be pushed back. My sil spent 3 days in hospital waiting to be induced as delivery suite was constantly full. In the end she went into natural labour, so there's still no guarantees of when it would happen, if the induction would work, and dependent how long it takes, if that machine would still be available. I'm sure knowing your religious views, the hospital will do all they can to ensure they have the equipment to treat you if its necessary, but I would be trying to avoid induction. My son died shortly after birth and I was offered early induction at 39 weeks, but so far I have refused. I am only allowed 1 week over, as opposed to 2, but that's due to previous c section. x

Hi Girls,
I'm so gald I read this thread I had a post partum hemorrhage with my 2nd daughter and needed a blood transfusion. I have asked what could have caused it and I have had no answers until now! I think you girls have answered my question as I was induced :(
I now cannot have a water birth because of my higher risk of PPH :(
If I was you there is no way I would be induced if you do not want a blood transfusion.
Is pitocin the last resort for induction??? What are the procedures before that ie sweep etc (asking as I had my last daughter 16yrs ago and things have changed)

I've had three miscarriages and they've not considered it grounds for induction. My mum is a JW and knows of blood free products to help with blood loss such as volumisers etc. Your elders should know more about it. It's worth mentioning that I had to have one of my miscarriages "induced" and bled very heavily and passed out. Didn't need a transfusion thankfully but it did seem to make things progress unnaturally fast. Saying that, my mum was induced safely several times and the only person I know who had blood after birth was due to a botched c-section. Maybe instead of an induction you could explain your worries and ask for extra monitoring?

My rmc consultant is very understanding of my anxieties and has said we can discuss delivery tomorrow at my 34 wk appointment .... I think it entirely depends on your consultant. I think the fact that you will need other assistance and people on standby would require delivery in a more controlled way... maybe? X

Hi Girls,
I'm so gald I read this thread I had a post partum hemorrhage with my 2nd daughter and needed a blood transfusion. I have asked what could have caused it and I have had no answers until now! I think you girls have answered my question as I was induced :(
I now cannot have a water birth because of my higher risk of PPH :(
If I was you there is no way I would be induced if you do not want a blood transfusion.
Is pitocin the last resort for induction??? What are the procedures before that ie sweep etc (asking as I had my last daughter 16yrs ago and things have changed)

FWIW - my mother had a PPH with me, her first, but had my sister with no problems what so ever. Just thought I'd throw that out to give you some reassurance that it may not happen again :flower:

Hi Becci I also am one of Jehovahs witnesses. I am pg again after my loss at 21 weeks, my placenta got stuck and I lost alot of blood, I nearly died 3 times bt they managed to bring me around. I had venifer iron infusion, I didn't as the hospital didn't hae any (aarrgghhh) but you can have e.p.o also with that. Its best to get a blood count done just before you go into labour so you know what your blood level is.

I want to be induced too, about 37 weeks I'm thinking. I would recommend from about 35 weeks you drink Raspberry leaf tea and take the pills as these soften the cervix and make the labour shorter. If I makeit that far, I will try this.

I'm sure if you are really concerned a member of the hlc would come and be there for you. I will be contacting a bro in my cong that will be there on hand when/if I go into labour.

I hope it all goes well, the best bit of advice I can give is relax and dont forget to breath, easy you say? Well in labour its the first thing you forget, try to concentrate on your breathing, it not only helps with th epain, but it gives you something to focus on.

Much christain love sis xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->