Asperger's syndrome and being genetically passed on

chasemanzmum

Reaction score
My oldest was just dianosed today with asperger's syndrome today. And I could very well have passed it on to him. I was never formally diagnosed, but show alot of the classic symptoms as an adult. And am thinking of asking my dr's office to run a test for it since it is hereditary and the kids father (my DH) shows no signs/symptoms of it at all.

I don't think there's been anything that proves Aspergers and autism can be inherited. I've heard of autistic parents having autistic children, but it's really just a nasty coincidence.

I'm also fairly certain you can't develop it as an adult, though if you're concerned, going to your doctor to be safe might be a good idea.

I apologise if the fact I've put Aspergers & autism together offends or annoys anyone, but Aspergers is a very, very mild form of autism at its core.

EDIT: I should add that while I don't have any children (yet), my sixteen year old brother was diagnosed as HF ASD when he was three. I know it doesn't make me an expert, but figured I'd weigh in.

would it make nay difference if you were able to offcially 'blame' yourself? as thats all you will acheive

i think we can find elements of anything in ourselves if we look hard enough, i know that my husband doesn't like to go out, neither does my autistic son, but that doesnt make my husband autistic, he just doesnt like to go out. similarly i am not a 'people person' and prefrer to spend time alone, as does my son, however that does not make me autistic iykwim

i guess if you reallly want to be tested you will be, but im not sure what you will acheive from it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->