Assisted vaginal birth in hospital (no pain med or epidural)

Lirpa11

Reaction score
Well, I said I wanted to go as natural as possible without an epidural or pain medicine. The fact that I did (other than the nurse breaking my waters) still amazes me. The fact that we now have a handsome little son in our home is just unreal. I am so blessed.

So I guess I will start my labor story off at 37+3. I had a dr appointment and they checked my cervix. I was 3cm and 70% effaced. She said I was losing my plug and the bloody show was happening. With this being our first baby, the doctor sent me to the labor and delivery ward as she thought the baby could be on the way. The week prior I was 0 cm and 0 effaced, nothing happening.

So we went to the hospital and were sent home 2-3 hours later with nothing happening. The doctor said it could still happen before the weekend was out, and she did not expect me to make my appointment the following week.

So the weekend came and went, nothing. I had Braxton hicks here and there but nothing to go into L&D with again. The weekdays came and went. A couple of days I had some stronger contractions either during the day or at night, but nothing progressed any further. So Thursday came around and I resigned myself to going to the doctor appointment on Friday morning that the doctor didn't expect me to make.

Thursday night DH and I decided to DTD. The number of times we would do it before baby came was limited so why not. I've heard it can cause contractions etc, but we've done it before with no luck so why would this be different.

At around 3am I got up and used the bathroom. There was a contraction, but there usually were at this time of morning anyhow. It was a plain old usual one. I then woke abt an hour and half later as I felt a bit wet down there. As I was waking up I felt something run down my leg. Oh yay! My waters I thought! I turned on the bedside light and stood up... Blood was pouring down my leg... There was a small pool of blood on the bed. This isnt what I've heard of. I shook DH and said I think we are going to the hospital.

We pulled the sheets off the bed and DH put in the guest bath and ran water to try and rinse them out. I then tried to wash off the blood from my panties and decided it wasnt worth it so kinda cleaned up the mess I had made in the bathroom. We needed to get to the hospital ASAP. I got dressed. And we headed to the hospital. We called my family and told them. I was scared to death this was a bad sign but didn't let it come through as I didn't want to stress even more. We got to the hospital around 515am or so and they got us through quickly and put me and our baby on the monitors. Baby was doing fine, and I had regular contractions, although they were not at all painful!

After about half an hour they said we would not be leaving without a baby and should have ours by the end of the day. They moved us to a labor and delivery room. My godmother was there with us and came in. The nurse checked at about 5:30 and I was just at 4cm. She then checked in the L&D room around 7:00 and I was at 5cm.

My godmother said they would run home, shower, grab some things and be back as it usually took a few hours from here. So just after 7:00, the nurse said they would break my water to keep things moving. i messaged my family who turned around and came straight back as they didn't want to miss anything. The nurse said all going well she would be back around 10-11 am to see how far dilated I was and see how we were progressing. I was advised that after the water was broke, you would usually dilate a cm an hour.

As an hour to hour and half passed, the contractions got progressively stronger and I got progressively more ill and grumpy. It was painful at times but I was adamant to avoid pain medication if possible as I wanted to be clear headed when holding our baby. After some breathtaking awful contractions, I called the nurse and asked what pain medicine I could have. I wanted to know what it would do to me, after effects etc. she took her time getting back in the room and must have come back in a bit before nine am. Maybe 845 or so.

She said she would check to see where we were then in terms of how dilated I was, then go through all my options. I said yes please I can't take this. So she checked, I was already 9.5cm!!! She said she would get the doctor and back in 15 minutes. after maybe 5 minutes I had a horrible contraction and called the nurse again. Not very nicely as they always intercom through how can we help you and I was in a lot of pain. I said they need to get here now as I can't help needing to push or something.

They came back and sure enough baby was on the way. They put up the stirrups and it was on! It was awful, it hurt, I yelled, I sweated, but I pushed our beautiful son into the world. All the while thinking I can't do this, but I have to. Finally when he was nearly there I was able to keep pushing and get it done!!

There were times they told me to push and I just couldn't. I had to catch my breath, I had to sit there. But 30-45 minutes of pushing wasn't too bad (although I'd say differently if you asked at the time!). Braxton was born and I was amazed.

I did it, no epidural, no pain medicine. I held him and it was worth every bit of the pain.

I had a first degree tear which has been stitched up. We spent one night at the hospital and we were discharged the following day at 5pm to go home. Baby is being breastfeed and doing great. I'm sore of course, but proud. We made it :hugs:

Congratulations!

Next time not having your waters broken and not having your feet in stirrups would probably make the natural labour way easier on you but it sounds like you did great!

Congrats mama!!!

I'm just curious (maybe I over read it) but what was it that caused the initial bleeding??

Congrats mama!!!

I'm just curious (maybe I over read it) but what was it that caused the initial bleeding??

They said it could have been that we DTD? It could cause the cervix to ripen quickly? They didn't say for sure though so I'm still up in the air over it. Just glad it wasn't bad news!

Congrats, that's a great story! I'm glad the blood wasn't anything bad!

Congratulations hun :flower: Glad you got the birth you wanted xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"