Astrid Olivia - born on her due date!

kc1980

Reaction score
Astrid Olivia was born on 25 June 2010, 11:49pm.
Weight 3.095kg, length 49cm, a little 'un!

I started feeling funny on Wed 23 June after a long walk of about 1 1/5 hrs and then I lost some of my mucus plug in the evening so thought something was up.
Went to bed and woke up around 1 am Thurs with what I thought were contractions but of course I had noooo idea. Waited till 3am before waking OH as by then they were 5 mins apart. And then i went to the loo and had blood and mucus mix so knew I wasn't imagining things. Got to hospital and contractions still 5 mins apart. Doc did u/s too and then tested vaginal secretions and said that it was positive for amniotic fluid so I couldn't go home.
Stayed night and contractions started getting irregular and all of Thurs they were irregular. They said if no action naturally I would have to take pills to be induced starting at 3am Thurs morning (24 hrs after coming in). They give 6 pills, 1 every 6 hrs to try to induce and hopefully after 36 hrs you are all set but I was like oh hell no, 36 HOURS to try to just start it??? Anyway luckily it only took 2 pills for me and I had lots of contractions at regular pace. I spent several hours in birthing bath and managed to get to 4cm dilated with no pain medication and wow it was ssooooore. At one point I was crying so much OH just didn't know what to do and he cried too. Anyway, they were lasting 50secs so of course you can survive that length of pain and it's so weird because you want them because it signals progress but the pain sucks.
At 4 cm I was already like " screw waterbirth, gimme the epidural." (I had wanted a waterbirth originally) And it was great for me. Got it at 3 pm and labored till fully dilated at 9:30 I think. Then they lowered the epidural because needed to feel more to know when to push so of course was not a happy camper when I could feel full force again as with epidural you can't feel contractions at all. I was pushing for ages and not getting anywhere although they could see and feel her head. Then this doc came in and was umming and ahhhing about using a suction to help bring her out and she was saying " well it's up to you blah bblah" and you can imagine how happy I was because I kept asking her what she thought was best and she wouldn't tell me. I said " I have enough energy for another 30 mins of pushing but if you think it's longer, let's use the suction" agh it was sooo frustrating because the midwife who also came on at 11pm and replaced the awesome one I had before was a bit of an idiot and couldn't give me any answers either. And OH was getting really annoyed too which he never does. So then it turned out that the doc. must have been not very senior because then the attending physician came in and assessed me and said that he recommended suction. This is all I suppose because she was back to back. Well once I said ok the room suddenly filled with all these people and i think I signed a consent. So I started pooping myself a bit but they went ahead and did the suction and after a few more contractions and pushes she was out! It was the weirdest thing because she was so tiny and bloody. They gave her to me right away but had the take her away after a couple of mins to do the apgar (9/10 :)) and Check her little head which was sore from the suction.
Only got to go to bed around 3;30 and the nurses took her for a couple of hrs so I could sleep. OH had to leave and I was put in a room with someone else and knew it would be a disaster from right away. Shame poor woman has some serious baby blues and couldn't breastfeed her baby who was crying allllll the time. So have paid extra to have a private room which was expensive but totally worth it. We were there 5 days (standard in Switzerland)
I had to have stitches I don't know how many but honestly it was the least of my worries down there! No one ever told me how much you bleed afterwards. And when you breastfeed you can literally feel blood pouring out becuase your uterus is contracting. It is pretty amzaing. I did look 6 months pregnant but better now a week later. It is shocking what birth does to your body. I really don't get how celebrities recover because it is not just weight gain, there's all kinds of other issues.

Anyway it is now day 6. Astrid feeds well, it's me that struggles! So hard to get comfy etc. She is very sweet, poor baby has a sore from the vacuum :-( she has blue eyes that will stay blue coz OH and I both do too. She has v dark almost black hair now. She smiles in her dreams very adorable to watch!!

it is quite hard emotionally and this is our first baby and i feel myself missing just being me and OH but i think just baby blues and will pass. she is beautiful and we bond more and more each day.

Attachments

• IMG_0272.jpg
    IMG_0272.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0279.jpg
    IMG_0279.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0329.jpg
    IMG_0329.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 39
Congratulations, she's beautiful :) Glad you're ok too.

Awwww. She's beautiful. Perfect. :flower:

Many congratulations to you both. xx

Awww, congrats, she's lovely!!! I'm sorry your experience wasn't too good with the docs, but I'm glad you got a lovely healthy baby!! xx

She is utterly gorgeous! Big congratulations to you and your OH!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->